“Ideal Location and Cheap”

and 1 more site!
Kilkenny Tourist Hostel
Ireland
“Ideal Location and Cheap”
Reviewed 13 January 2012

This is very handy, central, great location, cheap and had a lovely sleep

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Detroit, Michigan
Reviewed 30 October 2011

I am not sure why there are so many angry posts about this hostel. To the people complaining about the bunk beds...it's a hostel, that's what hostels have, i have only seen 2 hostels in 20+ hostels that had regular beds and that was only because we chose a private room.

This hostel was in a great location, i did not have any noise other than the music from the pub across the street (which i absolutely loved and opened my window to listen as i went to sleep). Closest to loud noise was a person snoring in the room on the other side of my wall and i couldn't believe their snore traveled all the way to me.

I loved that they had the lockers, it helped me keep my laptop safe when we were out and about through town.

The worker that was there our first night gave us advice on a great place to eat (though this was my 2nd trip to Kilkenny and had planned to eat there anyways, but it was nice that he offered his advice).

Kilkenny is one of my favorite places to visit in Ireland as far as towns go. the only thing I did not like about this hostel was there was no parking, I had to park about 4 blocks down in a pay parking lot. Other than that, I would return to this hostel.

Yes it is old, yes it is creeky and even the window wouldn't stay open. But what do you expect for such a low cost? It's a great location and I had no issues with the kitchen or the staff.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
Bocas Town, Panama
Reviewed 27 September 2011

I read a few of the reviews on the noise level of the Hostel. It is definitely a lively place with 20 somethings buzzing around and thin walls. What we expected out of an old house turned-into-a-hostel. That being said, we had a pleasant experience. The staff we interacted with was helpful with local tips and do's and don'ts. We found our room simple and clean and the shared bathrooms were well attended to. The location is great. If you're looking to keep the price tag down and be in the middle of town, this is your place. If you're looking for a quiet spot to go to bed by 9pm, this is NOT for you!

Room Tip: Stay on the top level, room 8 or 9. Helps reduce noise level as much as possible.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
denver
Reviewed 17 September 2011

If you are looking to party all night-as in not go to sleep until 5am then this is your place. I was looking to sleep, as this is a hostel. People were so loud all night long that I just laid in my bunk until 5am, where I then got 3 hrs of sleep. Accomodations are average-what you would expect. I'm in my 20's and have stayed in great hostels and do enjoy night life, also sleep. But if you stay here don't expect to sleep. People were friendly--there was just no regulation of noise.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DenverTravelor

Travellers are raving about these Kilkenny hotels

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed 20 August 2011

Having stayed in many hostels throughout Europe, this was definitely the most unfriendly and bad-natured staff that i have ever come across.
As another visitor mentioned in their review, staff took a deposit of 150 euro on arrival and when we were leaving the staff claimed that we had been making too much noise in our room and refused to return our deposit which was completely unreasonable. A member of staff pointed at us aggressively and ordered us to leave or he would call the gardai and the manager was nowhere to be seen to discuss the matter with.
Facilities were below average and not very clean also.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends