“Just what we wanted”

MacGabhainns Backpacker Hostel
London
“Just what we wanted”
Reviewed 30 July 2012

A group of us stayed here when doing the Kilkenny triathlon. We are all a bit older than the usual hostel crowd but we just wanted somewhere to sleep / shower. Fergus stayed up until our arrival at 2am and was very welcoming. The rooms (4 person en suite) were fine as was the shower in the room and there were more showers / toilets outside the room. The hostel was spotlessly clean but there are two large dogs there and there is a doggy smell! Fergus let us take over the back yard to assemble and store our bikes. The folk who worked there were better than lovely and were welcoming and friendly. The hostel is just a tiny bit out of the town and you think its much further when you first arrive but then you realise its just 2 minutes from the main street. Great place, stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank AllanBLondon
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
chicago, illinois
Reviewed 23 July 2012

I spent one evening in Kilkenny and I wish I had spent more at Mac Gabhainns! The staff were incredibly nice, attentive, and accommodating. They came out of the hostel and into the street to check where my friend and I parked to tell us if we would be ok or not. They gave of us the restaurant and music scene information we needed which allowed us to have a brilliant evening. Also, I mistakenly left my eye glasses behind and sure enough they held onto them and mailed them to the Dublin address that I was staying at! Purely amazing and very willing to go out of their way for their guests:)

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank chicloi
Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 5 June 2012

Spent here one night during my solo trip through Ireland in Sep 2011. The hostel is located 5 mins from the downtown Kilkenny with all its pubs and shops and places of interest. It was quite easy to find (I walked from the bus station and followed info from the net). Bed was comfortable and there was an electrical outlet at my bed so it was easy to plugin a laptop. The room was ensuite and I enjoyed that managers paid attention to such details as an air freshener in the toilet room. Basic breakfast was included; tea and coffee available at any time; milk in refrigerator. There shower was great, no need to press button every 30 seconds. Wi-fi worked perfectly both in lobby and in my room. I've even got a map of Kilkenny. Thanks to manager Loraine, the owner Raymond and his nice dogs Tilda and Sonny! One of hostels that I liked most during my trips to Ireland.

Stayed September 2011, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2012 via mobile

Great owner. Cozy hostel. Great place to meet a lot of people. We all went out one night. Clean enough rooms. Glad we got the room with bathroom in it as those in dorms shared two bathrooms and there was a wait for them. No problems here.... Hot showers. Good pressure. Average beds for a hostel. At night it was noisy because it's next to a main road so had trouble sleeping, but not a problem for my husband who had a lot to drink

• Stayed May 2012
1 Thank JennandPaul M
Melbourne
Reviewed 2 June 2012

The guys who run this place are some pretty sketchy fellows. One of the gentlemen on the staff, Fergus, tried to propostition my girlfriend to have sex with him when I was not there. Displeased, I asked the manager if he saw anything wrong with this, if he considered it to be unprofessional or if he thought it was socially acceptable for a member of staff- a host- to pressure a woman travelling alone in a foreign country to cheat. Unable to articulate an intelligible response, he tried to assault me, jabbed his finger in my face, forgot what he was going to say and told me to get out. A real gem.
If you are a woman and have any concerns about where to stay, please be safe, and find somewhere else to spend the night.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
5 Thank glockpod
, Owner at MacGabhainns Backpacker Hostel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
This review is total slander, we here at MacGabhainns are very polite and respectful of all our guests, this guy was very jealous and paraniod about his girlfriend talking with management and other guests over lunch. We actually got afraid of this individual and showed him the door and his girlfriend was totally apologetic for his actions. Regards MacGabhainns