1,436 results
All reviews irish wolfhound stone room four poster bed fairy tale dining room the pub felt like royalty beautiful grounds manor house course dinner highlight of our trip dingle peninsula common areas drawing room wedding party next morning ring of kerry
Reviewed 19 April 2018 via mobile

I had attended a family wedding in Cabra Castle in September and while there discovered that Ballyseede Castle in Kerry was connected.
I just happened to be going to Kerry the following month.
I took my sister there for afternoon tea and what a treat!! Understatement!!
On arrival we met Ester. Every Castle should have one! OMG what a gem of a lady, her welcome, knowledge and sheer professionalism just blew me away.
We left delighted with our experience plus the fact that I can't wait to return.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank Methona H
Reviewed 18 April 2018

This location was unbelievably beautiful, clean and very well maintained. We loved the decor and the beauty of the grounds. It was one of our favorite places that we stayed while traveling around Ireland and I'm disappointed in the fact that I didn't book more time to stay there! They offer delicious food and I would recommend skipping the 5 course meal and go to the bar to eat instead. Not that there's anything wrong with the 5 course meal, but the bar offers the wonderful and friendly interactions with Tim and Derry that are full of recommendations of what to do and where to go as well as a full history and a bit of ghost story telling of the castle. We had a blast with them and the information they provided was awesome! Esther was our host during breakfast and she was delightful! They offered a full breakfast that was excellent and delicious!!!

• Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank tiggerrulz9
Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

This place was awesome! The staff was so generous and we had such a lovely time talking to them. Tim and Derry kept us entertained at the bar and Joe gave us excellent suggestions in the morning. Joe - we survived!! Would definitely recommend.

Trip type: Travelled with friends
1  Thank JillD1601
Reviewed 17 April 2018 via mobile

Our favorite stay while in Ireland... from the gorgeous, impeccably clean room to the exquisite meals!! We had dinner twice and did not disappoint. Breakfast was generous and delicious every morning. The staff was very accommodating and loved sharing the history of the castle as well as offering great day trip ideas. Ester and Joe, you were both so kind and helpful... thank you for a great experience!!

Trip type: Travelled with family
1  Thank travl7077
Reviewed 16 April 2018

Having enjoyed a really pleasant stay at Cabra Castle last August we booked (last September) an Easter break at its sister hotel, Ballyseede Castle for three nights in April – we booked a “Superior Castle Double”.

On arrival we were told by Joe that our room was located in the West Wing and en-route to the room he apologised for the building material which was lying around as he said that the west wing was just being completed. We indicated that we had booked a “Superior Castle Double” room and as such had expected to be staying “in the castle” - remember we had booked from the previous September. Now my answer in this situation would be either “I’m sorry but rooms are allocated on a first come-first served basis and I’m afraid all the castle room are taken” or “OK, sorry for the confusion, I’ll check and see what I can do”.

Not Joe – First response – “all our rooms are castle rooms”. We pressed our case as we could still smell the fresh paint and the new extension lacked the "castle feel" which we were looking forward to. Second response – “Did you book online” – “Yes we did”. Next response “Well if you book through any of those travel sites you can’t expect to be assured of which room you get”. We indicated that we had in fact booked through the hotels own website. Joe’s answer to this – “Did you ring the hotel and indicate that you wanted a castle room” (this after initially telling us that ALL the rooms are castle rooms) – No we didn’t think we needed to as we had booked a “Superior Castle Double”. All the answers indicated that it was our fault that we didn’t get the room we expected.

Having finally got our point across Joe went to see what he could do and in fairness sorted us out with a well-appointed “Superior Castle Double” – within the Castle.

Once installed the rest of our stay was pleasant. All the staff were extremely courteous, the food in the restaurant was beautiful in both presentation and taste and the hotel itself was extremely relaxing. We enjoyed our stay. But definitely follow Joe’s advice: RING THE HOTEL AND CHECK THAT YOUR ROOM IS IN THE CASTLE as opposed to being a “Castle Room” (if that’s what you believe you are booking).

Just as a little aside: we took a taxi into Tralee on one of the evenings and the taxi driver inquired if we were staying in the castle or in the “new place”, so even the locals appreciate that there is a difference.

Room tip: Ring the hotel and check your room booking
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple