“I could get used to staying in castles”
Review of Ballyseede Castle

Ballyseede Castle
Ranked #4 of 14 Hotels in Tralee
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We knew we were in for a special treat when we had to step over the sleeping Irish Wolfhound (the puppy Higgins, the size of a small horse) to enter the lobby. The Manager's pet has the run of the small grounds, and he added a warm and cozy touch to the magnificant hotel property. The puppy's presence was emblematic of the personal touch of the Managers throughout the property, making it a most comfortable stay -- photographs aound the sitting room made one feel right at home. Then again, if you are turned off by the notion of a dog in a hotel, then this may not be the place for you. The staff was most attentive and alert. I cannot opine on the value proposition since I was the lucky beneficiary of a gift certificate covering my visit to the castle hotel. I would certainly love to return to the property some day.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 13 April 2012

Ballyseede Castle was quite a treat. We stayed there for two nights as we traveled through the area with friends. The hospitality was superb! The first night we had dinner in the drawing room and the staff was more than attentive!We recieved a tour of the celebration rroms and a history of the castle and grounds, complete with a true ghost story! I could have moved in right in with the beautiful furnishings and warm atmosphere.
This setting has the air of a real manor home, complete with resident Irish Wolfhound, Higgins, and his side kick, Einstein.

Room Tip: Ask for a room upstairs, and not dwon in the Paddy Way area.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 10 April 2012

My wife and I spent 1 night here en route from Killarney to Galway since we wanted to stay in a castle while in Ireland. Castle is easy to find, just to the East of Tralee. Grounds and facility are very well kept, just like the pics show. Staff is very helpful, giving us suggestions for churches to attend on Easter Sunday. Rooms are nice and spacious and very clean. I fell in love with Higgins their vicious guard-dog (kidding) who greeted us at the entry foyer by lying there on his back for us to rub his belly instead of moving our luggage in. Wonderful common areas with beautiful furnishings and a grand piano. My regret is that I was coming down with a fever so wasn't able to enjoy the 5-course dinner! Would return so I could fully experience this beautiful trip back in time.

Reviewed 9 April 2012

We had one night at the Ballyseede Castle Hotel and enjoyed ourselves for the most part. The staff was extremely friendly and knowledgeable and gave us great directions to Dingle, where we spent most of our day. The castle itself is awesome, as are the grounds, and our dinner and breakfast were delicious. My husband has celiac's disease and they were extremely accommodating, as was most of Ireland.

Now for the conflicted part. I am a dog lover, to the max. Large dogs, small dogs, mutts, and pure-bred. I see that most other guests were delighted by the Irish Wolfhound, Mr. Higgins, who had the run of the property and the hotel. I was also delighted by him, at first. While I was checking in, he rolled around at my feet and I pet his belly. I was told he was only 6 months old and was thus pretty clumsy, which was charming to see as he awkwardly smashed against a side table in the lobby. However, the little attention I showed him resulted in him attaching himself to me pretty aggressively. He was outside when we were trying to make our way to our car and he ran up and clamped his enormous jaws around my wrist, jumped up and grabbed my scarf, pulled at my clothes, etc. I had a pretty hard time getting him to release me, and then we just avoided being outside after that. Thankfully we didn't see him inside the hotel for the rest of our stay. I really don't think it's a good idea to have a large untrained puppy unsupervised at a place of business, even if my experience was a rare occurrence. You can never be completely sure that they will not act within their nature and attack someone, and this dog was the first to ever make me feel a little fearful.

Room Tip: We stayed in the beautiful Mangan Room, awesome courtyard view with a cozy window seat on the 3rd fl...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 April 2012

Was a great stay, warm place to stay and would stay again when we are in the area!
I would recommend this hotel to anyone!

Room Tip: If the room is a little on the cool side, let them know and they will adjust it!