“Early bird dinner for two”
Review of CROI restaurant

CROI restaurant
Ranked #1 of 121 Restaurants in Tralee
Description: At Croí we pride ourselves on supporting a local community, we believe in Kerry produce and we know that some of it stands shoulder to shoulder with the rest of the world and some stands a shoulder above. Croí is Gaelic for Heart and in old Irish it means the spirit or the essence, we want to get to the spirit and the essence of our land, thanks for reading :)
Reviewed 29 March 2018 via mobile

We went for an early dinner while staying in Tralee for the night. We had a lovely dinner started with the pate and mussels and then the steak and chicken for mains. The food was tasty, the staff were friendly and obviously knew a lot about the menu and produce. The were very good in accommodating my gluten free request, I could order pretty much anything and they would make it gf. Would give the restaurant four and half stars if possible.

2  Thank Amy S
Croi2017, General Manager at CROI restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 30 March 2018

Hi Amy,
Thank you so much for your kind words on Croí and delighted you enjoyed it. Everybody works really well together, we all get to meet the suppliers too so it's very natural. The floor staff are excellent, knowledgeable and lively. The engine room runs smooth, Noel and Paul are very conscious of allergies and people that have specific needs so we all get tought about diet, important stuff. Thanks again for the review and hope to see you again.
Regards,

Reviewed 28 March 2018 via mobile

Our recent trip to Croi did not disappoint. We had heard about this newish restaurant in Tralee and were looking forward to trying it.
The interior of the building is really lovely and very welcoming; it is obvious that quite a bit of money was spent on it. The original brickwork has been exposed and it together with the lighting provides a very nice ambiance.
Kevin welcomed us and showed us to a very nice table (No.12) and proceeded to tell us about their ethos, the food and it’s origins. They pride themselves on sourcing as much of their produce, as possible, from Kerry.
After ordering we were served with bread which was anything but good. The white soda bread was wooden and stodgy and the brown clearly a supermarket brand so first impressions went totally against said ethos. On commenting about this to Kevin we were subjected to a long winded tale about taking down a kitchen wall at a cost of €47,000 in order to be able to perform certain functions. Do I want to hear or do I care about this on a night out? No, being the short answer.
Shortly afterwards we were presented with two dips; olive tapenade and tzadziki which were both nice but nothing except the horrible bread to dip with! Thereafter, things started looking up. We had a lovely amuse bouche of crispy vegetables served in an oyster shell, our starters were very nice and simple and here I could see what they are attempting to do. Lovely flavors and good use of herbs. My main course of lamb was perfectly cooked and nicely presented. The other main course of belly of pork was not so good, too fatty by far; that cut of meat can be fatty but this was too much so and the fat has not been crisped to provide crackling. Our cheesecake dessert was fab and the best part of the meal. We had a very nice bottle of Tempranillo @ €28.
The waiting staff are very nice and not in the least obtrusive. The pricing is very competitive and I suspect it will be increasing somewhat soon and rightly so.
Overall, we liked it but it was a tad fur coat and no knickers; if you are going to bore me rigid about foraging, food origin and ethos then do it wholeheartedly; start with the awful bread and less in one’s face bombardment about what you are attempting to do. The food should speak for itself.

7  Thank cliona m
Croi2017, General Manager at CROI restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 April 2018

Hi folks,
I won't comment on the post itself, that would give it credence and most of it I don't agree with and the figures used are blown up to make the publisher look good. Did I have that conversation, yes I did, do I believe Cliona is being honest, no I do not, do I care is the real question?? However I will say this, the 3 of us are very happy with how Croí is going, we put a lot of time and effort into our restaurant and how we are doing is good. We don't get up to hurt people nor do we get up to insult people. I do think though that people should be honest though and giving out business card to people while out for a meal touting for business doesn't sound like a normal night out, what do you think Cliona? I wish you and your wedding planning business from ballybunion all the best Cliona. As a business owner I'm sure you understand the seeing transcripts of alleged conversations on trip advisor and taking advantage of nice people would be traits in people I'd like not to associate with. I'm not saying that you are, I'm just mearly stating the fact that I don't like 2 faced people.
Thanks again for the review, I'm glad you enjoyed the stuff you paid for as the bread was free.
Having a ball and enjoying life,
The bestest regards in the whole wide universe

Reviewed 11 March 2018

Four of us who were staying locally at Barrow House headed out for the evening and had a fantastic time.What a treat having dinner at Croi is.

From the moment you walk in you feel welcome and relaxed. Everything on the menu is freshly made from local produce so you the ingredients are going to be high quality. I opted for the Glenbergh mussels in cider, onions, garlic and chorizo with samphire followed by the Lamb which was delicious.

The team are super friendly and if you are lucky you will get to hear a few jokes. I would highly recommend a visit if you are in Tralee.

1  Thank Victoria P
Croi2017, General Manager at CROI restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 12 March 2018

Hi Victoria P,
Thank you for the lovely word about our Croí. Delighted to read you enjoyed your visit. The mussels are a really good choice from the menu, we have some of the best produce in the world right on our doorstep and we are so passionate about that fact. Noel and Paul and their crew work really hard to produce epic local dishes from the finest Kerry producers and it stands to them. The front of house team are excellent, they genuinely care for every guest and that's a real treat to watch too. I love will pass on your compliments to the entire team and will be delighted to see you again some time.
Kevin O Connor

Reviewed 4 March 2018 via mobile

Me and my 2 sisters had dinner here last month. The food was lovely I had the chicken and it was out of this world and the man who serves us seemed to have a very good knowledge of all the food. I'm not sure if he was the owner but the service by him was excellent how a restaurant should do it. We all left very happy and I would highly recommend.

1  Thank Niamhoc29
Croi2017, General Manager at CROI restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2018

Hi Niamhoc29,
Thanks for taking the time to write your review and delighted to read you enjoyed our Croí. Looking forward to seeing you again and again thanks for the review.

Reviewed 1 March 2018 via mobile

3 couples (in our 50's plus) went for meal there a few months back. Our meal was good, some of it very good, service was good in terms of speed, politeness etc but the manager kept referring to us as "young" in a way he obviously did not realise was totally patronising and increasingly annoying e.g. Saying "Now, what would you like young man?" or "what can I get you now young man?, this to a man in his early 60's, and the manager was the same to the rest of the men (aged 50+) in the group, a little less so to the similarly aged 3 ladies.

A nice man unquestionably, but my god does he need to review how he talks to customers.

7  Thank JM1963Kerry
Croi2017, General Manager at CROI restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded 2 March 2018

Dear JM1963Kerry,
I am delighted to read you enjoyed the food at Croí and I have to say, your honesty inspires me. I apologise if the way I spoke to you offended you it was by no way meant to do so and the same to the rest of your group. I do hope that this will not prevent you from returning to our Croí as I can assure you the return visit will be a different experience. We get several parties of your size at Croí and it would be very nice to meet and know you and I hope you understand that this is a genuine gesture on my behalf to say thank you. I will look forward to perhaps hearing from you sometime and I am happy to read your review.
Kevin O Connor