“Kid Friendly Killarney”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Killarney

Map
Satellite
Map updates are paused. Zoom in to see updated info.
Reset zoom
Updating Map...
Iowa
84 helpful votes
“Kid Friendly Killarney”
Reviewed 1 October 2008

Killarney is the most popular tourist center in the south-west of Ireland and the list of things to do is endless. If you have small children this is where you should base yourself.

The town is filled with B&Bs and hotels (we stayed at Mystical Rose, see my review for more info), restaurants and shopping. It is a prime location for day trips to Dingle or the Ring of Kerry (skip this if your children are small).

I highly recommend a jaunting cart ride through Killarney National Park- this was a highlight for my daughters- to Ross Castle. Spend a day exploring Muckross House & Traditional Farms and hiking near Torc Waterfall. Or rent bikes in the city center and explore further. The Gap of Dunloe, once a main trade route into Killarney, is a quick drive from the city center and makes for a fun hike or bike ride. And Kennedy's Pet Farm (see my review) is also quite close by.

Killarney has enough history to keep you happy and pleny of activities to keep your children entertained. For potos and video from our trip you can visit: http://blog.havekidwilltravel.com/categories/Killarney.aspx

1 Thank Irishgrl_7
Boston, MA
“Beautiful Part of the World”
Reviewed 6 May 2007

Killarney is by far one of the most beautiful parts of the world i have come across. We took a boat trip around the lakes of Killarney and the sights are truely breathtaking. Make sure you take a day to explore the National Park and the sights it offers. The Ring of Kerry takes you through some beautiful towns in Kerry. The Killarney Golf Club hosts 3 great courses especially the Kileen course which was host to the Irish Open in 1994.
Don't go to Ireland without visiting Killarney.

“Liked It- Loved It”
Reviewed 14 December 2005

I am just going through my holiday photographs and I am homesick for Killarney.My family and I spent 3 days in Killarney staying at The International Hotel-which is just the spot that is central to everything.We asked the girl at reception to book us a jaunting car tour for the kids to see the National Park-it was the best tour we had.We met with Michael Tangney and he is such a character- each of the kids took turns in driving the horse and we had such fun.We will be back to visit Michael Tangney!!

3 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
“Loved the Great Southern”
Reviewed 30 May 2003

We had the pleasure of visiting Ireland May 2002 for 16 days. The people at the Great Southern were very friendly to us--so we added 2 nights on to our stay. The rooms were large and I enjoyed walking about the town which the hotel was convenient to. Don't miss Muckross House or Ross Castle. We can't wait to return. The hotel was hosting Mr. Clinton and Chelsea when we were there--every US pres. has stayed with them apparently.

“Peace and Serenity”
Reviewed 16 November 2002

My husband and I spent four wonderful days in Killarney early Nov. We stayed in the Killarney Lake hotel which we found absolutely wonderful. It is near the National Park. We thought the rates were very good value and the food and service were excellent. To add to this, we had a view to the Lake which was very theraputic in the morning. Indeed, this would be made more enhancing if one stayed there during the summer months, when you could enjoy the same view for dinner.

We love to walk and it was this we had in mind when we booked our short visit. We spent a lot of our time in the National Park walking and touring the lovely gardens and Muckross House. The highlight of our midweek break was a walk through the Gap of Dunlow, to the peaceful surroundings of the Black Valley. We intend to return again in the near future!!

Marie Kavanagh

1 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Been to Killarney? Share your experiences!