“Comfortable with a good location”
Review of The Fairview

The Fairview
Ranked #19 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 1 August 2012

I liked this hotel very much. The rooms were clean and comfortable and decorated nicely. The bathroom was fairly large with a great shower. We even had a jacuzzi tub--although that isn't standard in every room. It felt good after a long day of touring. The hotel is only a half block away from a main street with plenty of restaurants and shopping. The staff members were very hospitable. I would highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Kathleen C
JimONeill, Owner at The Fairview, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2012

Hi Kathleen,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We are delighted to know that you enjoyed your stay and your high recommendation on the quality of the rooms and the power of the shower are just reinforcements that we are offering what our guests need. Especially after a long day touring, it is nice to know that you can return to the Fairview and soak those aching muscles in your jacuzzi. Thanks for mentioning the staff, great to know that you felt welcome.

When you are in Ireland next do make sure to stay with us.

Reviewed 30 July 2012

My family and I spent the day in Killarney so we decided to stay for the night because it was getting pretty late. We had dinner around the College Street area and did not book a hotel in advance so I checked with a couple of hotels on that street. I LOVE that there are B&Bs and hotels everywhere in Ireland! I never had to worry about booking in advance. I went inside the Arbutus, McSweeney, Killarney Royal, and the Fairview to ask a couple of questions and check on the rate and decided to book with Fairview because of the following reason:

Free overnight parking. The other hotels had a special rate for parking but the Fairview offered free overnight parking across the street. Charges on parking began after 9am so what I did was move my car to the front of the hotel around 8:30, loaded our luggage, and had breakfast.

Friendly Staff. When I went in the other hotels, the staff weren't as attentive and did not seem interested in answering my questions. The attitude was more so: do you want a room or what? The Fairview was actually the first hotel I went into and so it sort of set my standard for that area. The woman at the reservation desk was exceptionally nice and when I questioned the set-up and cleanliness of the room she was very helpful (I know that's not a normal question...but I'm particular and it was very sweet of her to not brush me off). She not only explained the different option available but actual showed the different rooms to me because I was concerned about the space size for my family and I. That was a plus! After checking with the other hotels, it turned out that the Fairview was the cheapest at 30 euro pp for that night. The other ones were 35-40pp. Tip: after getting internet access at the hotel (OH YEAH, free WIFI here), I checked on the price rate and it turns out that it was way cheaper to book online. I could have saved 5 euros per person. Darn!

Free continental breakfast. There was a good selection of fruit, cereal, yogurt and pastries. If you wanted to order anything else, such as a traditional Irish breakfast, the portion is definitely generous and the price range was about 5 to 7 euros.

Location was great. It is a short walk to many restaurants, bars, and shops. Next door is hostel/ bar which seemed pretty loud when we were outside. I thought that this might be an issue but it wasn't at all. We all slept pretty well.

Clean. Our room was well maintained and dated. After being in Ireland or a week prior to arriving at this hotel... I had the MOST amazing shower ever! Hot water running the whole time and the water pressure was perfect! Prior to my stay here, I always had an issue with the water temperature or pressure because I was always last to shower.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
JimONeill, Owner at The Fairview, responded to this reviewResponded 13 August 2012

Hi KiwiMochi,

Thank you for your very detailed review of the Fairview. We are so pleased that Anne at reception, a true gem, was really the deciding factor in your decision to stay with us. We invest a lot of time and effort in improving our personal service and it is great to know that it works. Our location is prime and with parking so close at hand it makes the Fairview the ideal base for your holiday in Killarney. Your mention of our breakfast is very welcome as we recently upgraded our menu.

If you are in Killarney again, you will always be welcome here.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

We booked this hotel last minute, simply because we happened to have a free night in Killarney, and it was recommended to us by several people who had stayed there previously.
Our first contact was by phone, and the lady who took the call couldn't have been more helpful, informing us that the hotel also had a B+B establishment which offered very competative rates. We opted for the hotel, and were more than surprised that our room had the space, comfort, cleanliness and facilities of a five star establishment, albeit without leisure facilities. The room was more than spacoius, with a beautiful wooden floor, lots of storage, a seating area, ironing facilities and a well equipped, spotless bathroom. We also appreciated the the ice bucket in our room, which was complimented by an ice making machine in the corridor.
Breakfast was part buffet, with cereals, juices, brown bread, preserves, stewed apple etc., And the full Irish, or fish of the day, freshly prepared porridge, scrambled eggs and more, were served by the most pleasant man ever!!!, all dressed up in a tuxedo, complete with bow tie and the manners his attire promised.
Parking, which sometimes can be difficult in Killarney, was no bother. The hotel provides a drop off facility directly in front of the premises, and then also provides overnight parking, a mere twenty second drive across the road.
We cannot recommend this excellent, friendly, central, reasonably priced, and most comfortable hotel highly enough.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
JimONeill, Owner at The Fairview, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Dear Mollyjess Cork,

Thank you for your most positive review of your experience at the Fairview. What we really appreciate is the acknowledgement of the quality of our staff, Anne at Reception and Tommy in the Restaurant. Both of these make such a terrific contribution to the friendliness and professionalism of the property. Thanks for mentioning them.
The Fairview is an AA 5 star property and we work hard to maintain the quality of our product with continuous upgrading and improvement . Your endorsement of the quality of the breakfast shows us that we are on the right track with the improvements to our breakfast menu.
You mention that we offer value for money and we believe we offer the best rates in the best property in the best location in Killarney and thank you for recommending us.

When you are next in Killarney we would be delighted to welcome you to the Fairview

Reviewed 28 July 2012

This is actually the second review I have ever written for Trip Adviser...it's true, My husband, Marty and I, had a lovely 1st experience staying here in June 2011. I can honestly tell you that we would come back to Killarney because of this Inn--it was that nice. We have traveled all over the world...and we sometimes rank our top 10--this made the cut. The Inn itself is historic and beautifully restored.down to the details...fresh flowers, each room has lovely furnishings, lighting fixtures, bedding.and from the moment we arrived we felt pampered in very special ways.
The room, prepared to the last touch...wonderful lotions, robes...

We walked to town to dine at places that the owners recommended and again, an amazing location..but quiet!

And breakfast...in the dining room was just fantastic..fresh juices, fruits, and every day omelets or other choices made to order.

So, as I told Marty--we are going back...it is just a matter of time.

Angela and Marty Rosenberg, Charleston SC

Room Tip: Every choice was excellent...and oops, no pool, I'm not sure how to erase this--but believe me...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple

Good afternoon Angela R,

Your glowing review has certainly made my day. We put a lot of effort into ensuring that there are those special touches that make your stay so special and appreciate your comments about the quality of our offering and the standard of the breakfast. We work hard to make the Fairview your home from home and are so pleased you felt so good here.

We you decide to return to Ireland, please make sure we are on your list of people to contact

Reviewed 26 July 2012

Hotel staff was very welcoming and friendly. They let us drop off our bags and booked us a tour before we had even checked in. The rooms were clean and stylish, the bathroom had a fantastic shower that melts all your travel aches and pains away. The hotel was located right in town in the center of all the action, you could easily walk to restaurants, pubs and stores. The breakfast was outstanding, one of the best I had in Ireland. I would happily recommend this quaint hotel to everyone.

Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jessica F
JimONeill, Manager at The Fairview, responded to this reviewResponded 30 July 2012

Good afternoon Jessica F,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at the Fairview. We are always delighted when guests enjoy our breakfast and your endorsement that it is the best in Ireland is so welcome as we have recently changed the menu to offer more healthy and filling options. Each room in the Fairview is individually designed and we are pleased you enjoyed your room and the lifestyle shower which has so much power.

We believe we offer the best value in the best property in the best location in Killarney and thank you for you positive comments. If you are in Killarney again, we would be delighted to welcome you back.