“5 star hotel, beautiful rooms, definitely come back”
Review of The Brehon

The Brehon
Ranked #11 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
GreenLeadersGold level
“5 star hotel, beautiful rooms, definitely come back”
Reviewed 2 May 2012 via mobile

Really beautiful building, very nice food in bar, I had chicken wings with blue cheese and fishermans pie, only let down was I wasnt asked i wanted coffee or dessert, which I did, but I have a little rule that if I'm not asked I dont go looking. Same with breakfast, really nice spread with tasty hot food including pancakes but no one came to me about coffee or tea. I bought coffee up the street. Anyway free wifi all over building is brilliant as is free water in rooms. Hot showers. I'll go back

• Stayed May 2012
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Polish first
cork
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Stayed for 1 night for an event in the INEC. Upgraded to a superior room very happy with that. excellant rooms, clean spacious.
Bar food was of great quality,
Pool clean,
An lovely hotel. Hopefully will be back,

Cork
Reviewed 26 April 2012

Stayed for 2 nights on a mid-week break in January with my folks, husband and baby. On arrival, we were upgraded to executive rooms (with compliments of the hotel) and felt very welcome by all the staff from check-in to check-out

Our rooms were spacious, pristine, with amazing bathrooms and great views through two large windows with sweeping heavily lined curtains. Pool/spa area fab and spotless throughout

Breakfast was good and plentiful and we had afternoon coffee with cookies in the lobby one afternoon.... setting lovely with lighting fires, newspapers and comfy sofas!

The only negative... the restaurant was closed both nights (understandably being mid-week in January) so we dined in the bar on the restaurant menu which all four of us struggled with... thought it could offer more choice. However, we will surely return to the Brehon Hotel in the future

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade!
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
Wexford
Reviewed 24 April 2012

We have just returned from a well deserved break in the Brehon. The room was fabulous and definately spacious as some of the trip advisor comments had suggested. The Spa was very relaxing and the staff throughout the hotel were courteous and friendly. The breakfast has to have been the highlight of our stay! So beautifully presented especially the mixed berries and yoghurt, the best i have ever tasted in any hotel and the first tme ive seen them presented for breakfast but definately something to try. We didnt eat much the first morning because we had planned to climb Carrantouhill but i couldnt wait for the next one. I ate as much as i could and their was always plenty to go around. The staff and the breakfast room really made this one to remember. Thank you all for an amazing stay, what a great hotel, you have done yourselves proud!

Galway, Ireland
Reviewed 23 April 2012

The Brehon is exquisite! The foyer is spacious, grand and comfortable and makes an impressive first impression that's reinforced by the rest of the hotel. Our room was very roomy, bed was difficult to get out of it was so comfy! The staff were exceedingly courteous but grounded, with no airs and graces. Jessica in particular was a dote - always smiling, friendly and ready to help.
I was a tad worried at first as our room was in the general vicinity of the lifts, but we could hear no noise from the corridor, such is the quality of the sound proofing. The black-out curtains are great too! The only little thing that I wasn't too gone on were the shower gels etc in the bathroom - I wasn't too gone on how they smelled,but that's down to personal taste I guess.
Breakfast was a joy, think I packed on a few pounds in the few days there. Lovely silver service and teapots too!
We had dinner there on our last night, which was also our first wedding anniversary - the desserts came out with 'Happy Anniversay' written on the plates in chocolate, and we were given a complimentary glass of prosecco too by way of congratulations - a lovely touch! (Not to mention the card that greeted us on arrival wishing us a happy anniversary and a comfortable stay :-) ) The dinner was sumptious.
I treated myself to a facial in the Angsana spa and it was lovely. The therapists are Thai and Apple, my therapist, had hands like silk. The thermal suite itself was lovely - no kids are allowed so it's nice and relaxing. The pool is only a bathing pool, but sure you wouldn't want to be doing lengths when on a relaxing weekend away! The sauna was the most spacious I've ever been in. Staff there were lovely too. The only thing missing was a little blanket in the relaxation room as my legs got cold from the knee down.
We were there for the Easter weekend, and no doubt the hotel was full, but it never felt or seemed busy. It was always relaxing.
We were able to rent bikes from the hotel too for €10 each a day, saved us trapsing around.
I liked that it was slightly out of town as it was so peacful, and it's within easy walking distance to the town.
It is a truly beautiful, impressive hotel, both structurally, service and staff-wise. It is of five star quality but at a more affordable price.
I would return to the Brehon in a heartbeat, and cannot recommend it highly enough.