“Great except for the noise”

Killarney Towers Hotel & Leisure Centre
Ranked #25 of 38 Hotels in Killarney
Reviewed 8 July 2008

We were there for three nights with a group including 48 travelers. The room was very nice and comfortable and the bathroom quite nice. We were very pleased until we realized were were directly above the pub with live music until 12:30 am and the hotel could not relocate us (actually we were better off than some in our group who were above the bar with a live DJ that played music until 1-1:30). We had ear plugs but the amplification was so strong the floor and bed actually vibrated-this is "traditional Irish music" mind you. We also discovered that the cleaning staff had left the window open for ventilation but that allowed all of the smoke from those stepping outside to light up directly into our room (we were directly above the door to the pub).

Staff was friendly, good location, breakfast very good and the one dinner we had there was also fine (liked the fact that they actually had lots of vegetables-something we had not seen a lot of on the trip thus far). If only it was not so loud.

• Stayed: June 2008
1  Thank cindy412
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 24 June 2008

Good thing this hotel is so close to things to do (the center of town and the beautiful, peaceful Killarney National Park) because you do want to get out of those tiny, orange rooms as soon as you can. We were on the first floor and couldn't believe the thump! thump! thump! of the Leisure Center stereo down the hall. The kind of low constant noise where you can't hear the music, just the thumping. The management offered to turn it down, and I was assured it would stop completely after 9:00. It stopped at 9:30 p.m. The only other room they could have moved us to was in the same hallway.

The other odd thing was the chemical smell down the hall next to the swimming pool - sulfer? Peroxide? Extremely strong and since it was next to the indoor pool, it might be related to the mold problem another reviewer mentioned. The smell didn't get into the room, but it was awful having to walk down that hall to go to meals.

There were also some "boys" singing up a storm down the street until the wee hours, but nothing the hotel could do about that, just be aware that you are in the middle of a busy holiday town.

• Stayed: June 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 8 June 2008

I was worried about the Killarney towers after reading some of the reviews before our tour of Ireland, and were they ever wrong! it is newly remodeled. The rooms were the best we stayed in on our tour and just beautiful. The dinners were great, the staff was exceptional and the pub was great fun. DON'T BELIEVE THE OLD REVIEWS IT IS ALL NEW! I always check trip advisor and would not have booked this hotel but it was included on our tour, and am pleased to say that the reviews were wrong. Check the dates on the reviews we stayed in May 08. also easy walking to shops and nightlife. A definite yes for us!

• Stayed: May 2008
Reviewed 27 March 2008

I read some very bad reviews about this hotel in Trip Advisor and I´m sure they were perfectly right.

It is very rare to hear about a hotel that admits that something has to be done and invest lots of money to renovate the rooms and the building itself and that happened while the hotel was closed in winter 07-08.

I think the effort payed off as this was by far the best of all 4 hotels I stayed at during my visit to Ireland.

The rooms size was very standard: not big, not small. But is was very clean and had a very good bed.

The hotels restaurant was very nice too: we had dinner one evening were they serve lamb, salmon, etc were you could eat as much as you could.
The hotel has spa and a very well equiped gym.

The hotels location is right in the middle of the town. This could be heaven or this could be hell. My room was very quiet as I couldn´t hear any noice comming from the streets or the other guests in their rooms.

A great touch, in my opinion is that every room had jacuzzi.
On the other hand it is a paradox that in the bathrooms they put a sign were they ask guests to save water by re-using towels as much as possible. But if water is the hotels concern, then they shouldn´t install a jacuzzi in every bath tub...

All in all I can only say that this hotel was really a big surprise for me as I didn´t know that CIE choosed hotels of what I consider such high standard. I understand that the renovation i mentioned above gave the Kilarney Towers Hotel their fourth star which I think the hotel deserves.

I was told at the reception that the tariff at that moment (march 2008) was 80 euros pr person for Dinner,Bed and Breakfast. The same price was asked in a scottish hotel I stayed at for 2 years ago and that hotel couldn´t had more than 2 stars and had no facilities other than a bar.
Because of all the facilities, cleanless, the new inventory and that you can eat all you can at both breakfast and dinner, I think the Killarney Towers Hotel as it stands today is good value for money.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank Oscar L
Reviewed 8 February 2008

After being there before and had a great time I had a return visit - this particular weekend was a very busy weekend . The location is great the town centre on the doorstep so no worries about cabs and they have the entertainment in the hotel so no need of going elsewhere. The bar got very busy both nights due to a good ballad band on each night. The decor is a bit tired in the hotel itself and the rooms definitely need some change but on speaking with one of the managers during my stay they were going to undergo a major redevelopement over the winter and opening a brand new 4* hotel in March 2008. Again I found the staff exteremly pleasant and I hope to return to see the new changes for myself!!!! Will keep you posted.

• Stayed: November 2007, travelled as a couple