“Disappointed...” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #27 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Disappointed...”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 June 2012

Last year I attended the bike fest in the Gleneagle hotel and had a great time thanks to a great band called the Barley Mob. I found out this was organised by a nice chap called Alan. But this year i went back again hoping that i would have another great time, i found the hotel old fashioned, unclean and without any type of atmosphere. unfortunately the organiser called Alan was no longer there.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Amina B
, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, 28 June 2012
Dear Guest

I am sorry to hear that you didn’t enjoy yourself as much as last year at this year’s Bike Fest. I know the weather had much of an impact this year as we were not blessed with the finest of weather that we have had in the past. This did put a little dampener on the outdoor activities and the Ride Outs that were scheduled.

However in saying that, I am part of the Bike Fest team myself and spent the whole weekend talking and getting feedback from people and although the weather was not in our favor it still proved to be a great success and people had a fantastic weekend. I would like to highlight we had over 16 different Bands & DJ that played over 3 Stages during this 3 day festival.

Bike Fest has had the same organisers every year since 2005, and we are very proud of this event and how it has grown each year. Alan, was a part of our team here at the Gleneagle was a Bar Supervisor and who has since moved on.

I am disappointed to read that you found the hotel to be old fashioned, unclean and without any atmosphere since your previous visit last year, considering we have commenced with our refurbishment programme and made great changes in the last year.

I do hope that should you decide to return for next year’s Bike Fest that you enjoy it better than this you did this year and that we get the sunshine it deserves neat year also.

Regards

Guest Relations Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (277)
  • Polish first
Tipperary, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2012

Having attended the AIMS Awards on Saturday June 16th, I must compliment the hotel for its outstanding organisation of the event, which involved preparation of a 4 course meal for 900+ people, - it was of a very high standard as was the service and courtesy of its staff. The visual effects were wonderful - ressembling none other than the Oscars!! I would highly recommend this event thanks to the efficiency of the INEC.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, 18 June 2012
Dear Guests,
On behalf of all the staff here at the Gleneagle Hotel and the General Manager I wish to convey our sincere gratitude to you for not only taking the time to post your lovely review but also for sharing with every member of staff who was working during this years AIMS event a truly memorable experience…

We have catered for AIMS for nearly 10 years and it is always a pleasure and a wonderful event for us to host and to deal with such a large number of genuine fabulous people.
So we would also like to thank everyone who attended this year for providing us with very fond memories and we certainly look forward to hosting this event again in 2013...

With Kind Regards
Guest Relations Manger
Galway, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 June 2012

Stayed in this hotel recently with my parents and fiance. It was a very poor experience. Firstly the hotel is very out of date and neglected. The bedrooms are so old and never been updated. The beds have those old wooly blankets which are itchy and haven't been used in hotels for 20years!

Secondly, dinner at the hotel was reheated and far from fresh. Across the 10 people at my table, we ordered a variety of dinners all of which were of a very poor standard. Worst dinner I had for 5years!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Tombolo_87
I am very disappointed at having read this report and how negative this Trip Advisor member opinion was of the Hotel, when the majority of our customers really enjoy their visit and give us spectacular feedback on their stay.

The issues pointed out here that have been all discussed over the phone with one of the family members since their stay with Myself and I also explained that the food is by no means reheated. All our food is cooked fresh on the day and we have extensive records to back this up.

On this particular evening we served over 300 people in the Dining Room and did not receive one complaint about the food. I have also followed p with the Dining Room and the Food Service Manager who was on duty in the Dining Room on the night in question and it was not brought to the attention of either the Waiter or Manager.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion and I can only say that I feel it was a personal dislike of the food, however had we been made aware of their dislike on the night we could have had the opportunity to turn this negative experience into a more positive experience.

I would also like to point that I mentioned to the lady I spoke with that should any of the party wish to return to Killarney that I would be happy to look after them and that maybe our Sister Hotel the Brehon, just next door is a 4 Star Deluxe may be more suited to their taste and should they wish to stay there next time that I would arrange a favorable rate for them. We would love to try to turn this negative into a positive…

Kind Regards
Caroline Papin.
Ballincollig, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

We just spent the weekend in the Gleneagle Self catering apartments and had a lovely relaxing weekend. We rented a 2 bedroom apt (which could fit 6 adults) but there was just the 3 of us (my husband & 2 year old son).
It was a lovely spacious apt with 2 large bedrooms (one which was en suite with shower) and a large bathroom with bath & shower. There was a small utility room with washer/dryer, ironing board & iron, mops etc and freezer.
The kitchen/living space was well fitted out and as we were on the ground floor it open out onto the green on the back of the complex which was great for our 2 year old to run around in. (I would recommend asking for an apt that faced out to that as you would be looking at car park on the other side)
We had full use of the leisure complex and there was a kid’s play area but we didn’t get around to using that as the weather was so nice we didn’t have too. One small thing was that to use that there is an hourly rate of €5 for the play area which I think is a bit steep especially if you had more than one child and also the swimming hats for the pool where €3 each which again I thought was a bit expensive so make sure to bring your own. They could also do with more family changing rooms/areas for the pool as there only seems to be one which really was just a storage room. But honestly besides that the pool area is bright & friendly, the water is a nice temperate and the staff are very helpful.
We enjoyed a meal and some drinks in their Backstage Bar on the Sat evening. We had organised a childminder with the hotel when booking. I was a bit nervous about leaving our son with a stranger but the hotel when I asked about this the hotel highly recommended her and gave us her contact details before that evening so we were able to talk to the lady beforehand to make sure we were happy and she was lovely.
Overall a great location for a family holiday and we will definitely go back. Killarney itself has so much to offer and the Gleneagle just adds to the ease of the trip.

Room Tip: I would recommend asking for an apt that faced out to the green as you would be looking at car park...
2 Thank MrsKCork
Dear Guests,

We would like to thank you for your positive & very well written review on our Gleneagle Riverside Apartments. We pride ourselves on our service and our aim to please all our customers and ensure that they have a very memorable stay.

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you again for your lovely warm comments and if you wish to contact me in advance of your arrival next time please do not hesitate in contacting me.

We certainly look forward to welcoming you back.

Many Thanks
Listowel, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

My experience at this hotel was down right sick. Firstly The staff were rude. The accommodation was musty and facilities were not up to scratch an example of this was the kettle in my room was covered in limescale. The Furniture was outdated and the window in my room had a broken catch. Overall I had a nightmere of a experience at this supposedly "4 star" hotel and will not be returning there ever again.

4 Thank Chris L
As Guest Relations Manager of the Gleneagle Hotel, I would like to express my concerns over this customers experience while staying with us. This is not a regular occurrence here and one in which we would like to investigate further.

I would appreciate if this Trip Advisor member would like to contact me in person to discuss these issues so we take action if required and follow up accordingly. The Gleneagle is a 3 star property however our team here are very professional and for this reason I would like to discuss further and obviously apologise for any misunderstanding.

Kind Regards