“visit to killarney” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #26 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
N Ireland
“visit to killarney”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

I recently visited Killarney with friends on an Ulsterbus Tour and we stayed in the Gleneagle Hotel
I had been told many wonderful stories about visits by others who had stayed so I was hoping we would not be disappointed.
From the moment we arrived we met kind efficent staff looking after all our needs.Reception staff were welcoming and helpful advising us about our rooms. One room was not quite ready but the call was made very quickly to advise its availability for the occupant.
Two rooms were refurbished very nicely and the third room was not but the occupants were told it was on the list for update. They had a most beautiful view to compensate for the furnishings and decor.
The dining room ran like clockwork with a team of pleasant capable staff managed by Ricky.
The menu was very adequate and varied each evening and each course was delivered to the table without delay. We loved having an individual dish of vegetables with our main courses.
A starter , main and dessert was served each evening followed by coffee or tea. The food was of excellent quality just as i had been told by many previous guests.
There are two sittings each evening, 6pm and 7.30pm. For a special occasion the booking staff will try if possible to accomodate a change of time but guests were understanding if this was not possible due to the numbers going through for meals.
There was music each evening and this was pleasant to listen to, and to admire the dancers who took to the floor.
We also used the pool, steam and sauna and they were clean and enjoyable.
I had 2 small problems in my room and they were rectified immediately , once reported.
We all enjoyed our trip to this hotel and would be happy to recommend it and we certainly look forward to another visit.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GlenGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
WOW …. What a lovely review !!!! Thank you so much on behalf of all the team here at the Gleneagle for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of your stay. It is very much appreciated and means a lot to us.

I am delighted you enjoyed your stay and hopefully one day will return to visit us again.
I have got to know so many customers that travel regularly with the Ulsterbus tours and love to see all the familiar faces returning, it’s like seeing Friends return…

So I really hope you decide to return and if you do, be sure and make yourself known to me, I like to put faces to people and once again sincere thanks for taking the time to make your review on Trip Advisor.

Kind Regards

Guest Relations Manager.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (279)
  • Polish first
Clare, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

Looking for somewhere to go with kids this is the place, lovely hotel stayed for 2 nights over Easter in a family room, double and 2 singles, plenty of room, tea/coffee facility in room. Staff very nice and welcoming throughout the hotel, big swimming pool warmest pool ever been in, lots of sections for swimmers and non swimmers, congrats to lifeguard who dived in and saved young girl in deep end while Dad in jacuzzi!! Great pitch and putt course, squash and tennis courts too. Pool and hockey table to keep older kids happy. Didn't use kids club. Lovely breakfast and food in bar, very relaxing when everyone is happy, will definately be back.

Dear Guest,

Thank you so much for your review. This is exactly what the Gleneagle is about. We are delighted you had such a good time and thank you so much for the very honest and positive review.

Hope you get to visit us in the near future.

Many Thanks & Kind Regards
Dublin
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 April 2012

I stayed in The Gleneagle as I was down for the teachers conference. I have to say i was very dissappointed. while we were expecting basic rooms, the decor that greeted us was awful. We were staying on the 3rd floor. The room did not look at all like the pictures on the website, and while they are under refurbishment it should be stated that not all room s look like this.While the room was clean, the curtains and bedpreads were very dated and faded. I felt I was in 1985! The bathroom was shabby with a rusty shower curtain pole, the shower was difficult to regulate and then came off in our hand! the corridor was equally shabby with seriously chipped paint on the corners. We did complain about our room and we were upgraded to The Brehon which was out of this world. I realise this hotel is 3 stars but I have stayed in plenty of three star hotels in Ireland both old and new and this was like nothing i has seen before. I feel people should be aware of what they are getting to make an informed choice.

On a positive note I have to say contrary to other reviewers the service was excellent. When we did complain they were very apologetic and helpful. Aldso the service in the bars and resaturants was very good as was the food. I did not use the leisure centre so I cant comment. Anyway I would not stay here again, there are plenty of other hotels in Killarney, which are not that much more expensive and are tons better.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
GlenGuestRelations, Public Relations Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, 28 April 2012
Dear Guests,

I am sorry to hear you were so disappointed with the room on this occasion, as mentioned we are in the process of redecorating rooms and have long term plans continuously in operation here. We have just completed the redecoration of some Rooms and have further plans to continue decorating on more throughout the year.

I would like to Thank you for your positive comments , we have an amazing team of staff here who are always more then willing to go out of their way to ensure Guests are happy and satisfied and who take pride in their roles and responsibilities. So praise where praise is due and sincere gratitude is offered to you for highlighting those comments.

Should you have the occasion to visit again in the future please contact me directly and I will endeavor to ensure that you are allocated a nicer room next time.

With Kind Regards

Dublin
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2012

Two very active boys(10 and 11) were busy and happy for four days. During the day they swam, played football, pool, tennis and golf. One evening they went to a Jedward concert and other evenings they went to teen zone(8 years+) where Dieter and Mark entertained them with quizes, Playstation etc. One of the highlights for the boys was an inflatable slide which appears occasionally in the swimming pool.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you so much for your very positive recent review, I have shared this with all the team and we are very grateful to you for taking the time to do so.

We are delighted your two boys had such an amazing time and hope they enjoyed the Jedward Concert…. Always a great hit with the kiddies…

Many Thanks from Myself & all the team here at the Gleneagle Hotel.

Regards

Cork
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 April 2012

We stayed for 5 nights and fully enjoyed it. We expected that, given the price it, would not be the usual 5 * hotel that we stay in but decided to give it a go due to it's child friendly reputation and we were not dissappointed. The room was comfortable but basic (very clean). The hotel caters for all ages and my two nine year old boys fully enjoyed the Teen Zone each evening - leaving time for us to enjoy a relaxing drink in the bar. The breakfast is good but due to the fact that we were staying slightly off season the evening eating options were limited but there is a srumptous Chinese next store and several options in Killarney town itself. I was especially impressed when having decided to stay an extra couple of nights the hotel offered to have my laundry delivered into the town, service washed and delivered back to me that evening (all for the standard chrage of a service wash). All in all I fully recommend the Gleneagle as a great place to go with kids. If you are expecting plush then please don't but you will also be pleased when checking out that you are not presented with a 'plush' bill. We will return - off season - as we enjoyed the relative quiet.

• 4 of 5 bubbles
GlenGuestRelations, Manager at Gleneagle Hotel, responded to this review, 15 April 2012
I would personally like to say a very big thank you to this trip Advisor member for such a wonderful report on their recent visit. We our very proud of our staff and the service in which everyone delivers and of the fantastic atmosphere that makes the Gleneagle what it is.

We are a 3 Star Hotel yet some people expect the standards of a 5 star hotel for the same price. Our rates and packages offer fantastic value for money, with nightly entertainment, Leisure Centre & Kids Clubs & Teen Zone (during holiday periods).

We are delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay and our sincere thanks and gratitude to you for taking the time write this review.
Many Thanks