“A hotel that treated my two sons with the same courtesy and importance as any adult, particularly in the restaurant” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Lake Hotel

Lake Hotel
Ranked #10 of 39 Hotels in Killarney
united kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 April 2012

This review is VERY late but better late than never. My wife and I and our two sins aged almost 11 and just turned 8 stayed in the hotel during the Irish Open in July 2011.

Our trip to Killarney started as a nightmare. We had originally been recommended to stay at the utterly RUBBISH Quality Hotel. Don't stay there ever. I stayed one night and checked out at 0600. I phoned the Lake Hotel and they saved our skin!

We stayed for longer than we planned the hotel was so good. From the outset we were met with real warmth and our sons, who have stayed in some of the finest hotels in the world instantly fell in love with the hotel.

Our deluxe lake view room on the ground floor was tastefully decorated. It was clean and had a fridge which is useful for medication (I am a diabetic). We had a queen bed and two single beds, proper beds not waiter thin rubbish that some hotels wheel out for children.

The fact that we were on the ground floor meant that our room opened out into the grounds and towards the lake. We have so many wonderful photos of our two boys over near the deer which visited every day and at the castle in the grounds. The mist over the lake was just incredibly atmospheric. The kids and my wife seemed to be the most relaxed I have seen them in ages. We all destressed! I had a month long migraine which disappeared within 24 hours of arriving at the hotel.

I have to mention the restaurant. The initial suggestion that the kids could only eat in the restaurant before 7:30pm was a shock. However, with gentle persuasion we insisted on the boys eating with us and to be honest it was pushing at an open door. The staff wanted to oblige. From then on, we ate every single night in the restaurant. The staff remembered the names of the children and didn't require the kids to eat off a kids menu (despite our meal inclusive rate stating they should).

The Italian maitre d' treated the kids with real respect. When our oldest son returned his beef fillet because it was well done when he had asked for it to be cooked medium rare, the maitre d' insisted the chef keep the kitchen open and sorted things out. He was also genuinely apologetic to our son.

This was real service in a hotel which puts service before gimmicks.

I was motivated to write this review after reading some really crazy negative reviews which did not reflect the experience of my wife and I, but importantly, not the experience of my kids who already want to go back!

• Stayed July 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (709)
West Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 March 2012

Just =back from a night in the Lake Hotel. What a treat! It is like going back in time to a long lost era, but with the utmost comfort. When I opened the door to enter my Lakeview room the panoramic view of the McCarthy Mor 12 century Castle ruins, Lough Lein (the lower lake), the McGillycuddy Reeks and Carrantouhill ( the highest mountain in Ireland), bathed in the late evening Spring sunshine, took my breath away. The room itself was large with a queen sized and a single bed, a seating area with two armchairs, a couch a coffee table, tea/coffee tray and a 32" flatscreen TV. The wardrobe had an ironing board and a safe in it. The bathroom had a jacuzzi bath and a separate glass enclosed shower. Everything was spotless. I went down to dinner in the dining room with that wonderful view through all the ceiling almost to floor windows. The food was delicious and the staff were solicitous, welcoming and friendly. To wake with the sun rising on the mountains, a deer stepping silently through the shallow water and a grey heron standing sentinel willing fish to come towards him - bliss! After a beautiful buffet breakfast (with eggs poached for me), I left to go to a meeting. But we couldn't take leave of Killarney before we had afternoon tea (again friendly, engaged service) outside looking at the lake in blazing sunshine. A spot of heaven. The only thing that would have completed my happiness would be free wifi throughout the hotel and not just in some designated places.

Room Tip: Lakeview is the one
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Stayed for three nights.
Great location overlooking the lake.
Hotel dates back to 1850 and is full of character and charm.
Staff were very friendly and food was excellent.
If you are looking for a hotel with stunning views and quite location then the Lake Hotel is just perfect.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank helen o
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2012

Check in was effortless, the staff were very wecloming and friendly.
Then we drove our car around the back of the hotel down to the other entrance where the 'deluxe' rooms were located and in we popped to our lake view room.
We had a little issue with the room which was solved almost instantly, and there were also little comment cards left in the room to fill out for reception to make them aware of any problems with the room, so that the hotel could keep the room in tip top condition (great idea). The room was decorated very tastefully.

We had 2 ground floor 'deluxe lakeview' rooms booked, which had a little patio areas to sit out in and soak up one of the most amazing views in Kerry. Glorious!
We were blessed with the fine weather over Paddy's weekend, but even between the odd shower we still went out and had a stroll around the grounds. We got to know a handful of the very friendly staff while we were there and found out that many staff are long serving with the hotel (which is always a good sign in a hotel).

Our room was laid out with an extra bed for children, so an Irish King bed, single, and then an extra single bed. There was bottled water upon arrival but the tap water was good to drink. We needed a fridge immediately upon arrival and I had this notion that I would have to trapse back and forth to the hotel kitchen so was delighted to find a fridge in the bedroom. Even though the room was on the ground floor, there was a huge wardrobe which allowed you to 'hide' behind it after 'running' from the bathroom. Jacuzzi in the bathroom was great too.

There was an ironing board, safe, area for luggage.
Then we had a little couch + chair with coffee table and then another seating area with two chairs so plenty of area to sit and read or watch TV.
The lighting in the room was excellent, it allowed us to light the room into zones (including little ground nightlight) so that we could still read books while the children were going to sleep and later walk around without killing ourselves knocking into furniture in the dark.

Bar - TVs and live music while we were there but children aren't allowed into bar after a certain time (which is fine by me, because I would be annoyed if I was on a break away from my kids to find a mob of them in a hotel bar late in the evening). However, there are plenty of lounge areas.

View - Spectacular, I can say no more, I've seen it from the Master Deluxe rooms (in my opinion I don't get having a tub in your bedroom and I personally don't think they are as nice as the Deluxe lakeview rooms).
Room - spacious, clean,
Staff - So helpful
Restaurant - Great selection at breakfast, dinner
Restaurant Manager - very helpful
Reception - efficient and very helpful
There is also an outdoor hot tub which we didn't get to use but it looked like fun

I'm not sure what it is about this hotel, with small children you would think that you would need a swimming pool, but there's a little walk up to castle ruins which are lit up at night and the kids were happy as Larry, just throwing sticks, and little stones in the water. We got to see two deer come out of the reeds during the day and the kids knocked such a kick out of it as did we watching them. The lovely thing about this hotel is that it forces you to slow down. If you want to make lots of noise, and just be rambunctious, then this is not the hotel for you. From what I saw, it catered for couples, elderly couples and young families. I have never felt so relaxed having spent a weekend of just playing and strolling with my kids. The hotel has an atmosphere of 'je ne sais quoi', if you allow it to engulf you.

My only gripe is that I would have liked a light duvet to pull up around me in bed rather than a blanket and sheet. The decorative bed cover was too heavy to use but I feel I am just nit picking now.
To end on a very positive point

To the Lake Hotel management, finally, let me congratulate you on the service offered by your restaurant and reception staff, they were excellent and so helpful and I am really looking forward to coming back again for another stay.

Room Tip: Ground floor lakeview deluxe rooms are best for families (and have jacuzzi bath in bathroom) and Mas...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank crankyannie
Turin, Italy
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 March 2012

I stayed a couple of weeks with a friend, we chose a lake view room and we had to change our reservation there because our travel agency could only book woodland view rooms, we had no problems at all, the staff was absolutely kind and competent. Clean, spacious room with comfortable twin beds, nice toilet with jacuzzi and a small lovely balcony (full of giant spiders at night but hey, you're staying in front of a lake! i liked how animals and nature are respected there) can't complain about the cleaning service either. As i said the position is just breathtaking, with woods, lakes and wild animals, plus some caste ruins just beyond the lawn. I forgot to say it's all silent at night so you can sleep like a baby. Talking about the restaurant and bar, i think we never had better food and service abroad, i suggest the steak, the duck breast and the colcannon..simply delicious. My only complaint is about the gym which was too small with no threadmills. Fares are ridicously cheap compared to the quality of this hotel. personally i would rate it a 5 star. Can't wait for my next stay!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled with friends