“I don’t want a guided tour”

Muckross House, Gardens & Traditional Farms
Book In Advance
More Info
US$ 11.60*
and up
Hop-on Hop-off Shuttle in Killarney: Muckross...
Ranked #20 of 121 things to do in Killarney
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Muckross House, Gardens, and Traditional Farms represent the focal point and nucleus of Killarney National Park. This is Ireland's oldest National Park, and it includes the world famous Lakes of Killarney, as well as the mountains and woodlands that surround them. Muckross and Killarney National Park are open daily all year round (expect the Christmas period). Please refer to website for more details on opening times & prices.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 6 April 2018 via mobile

To be fair we didn’t actually go in to the house.

On arrival we found that you cannot just visit the house, you MUST have a guided tour and there wasn’t one available for two hours. So we went for a ride in a jaunty horse carriage.

All reviews
in 38 reviews
"ring of kerry"
in 60 reviews

Reviewed 5 April 2018

This tour was better than I expected. The wait was minimal and the size of our group was very comfortable. Like so many of sites I enjoyed in Ireland, this one made me feel as if I was in a movie or an old story. Coming from the states I had grown up seeing manor houses and castles like this on TV or in the movies. So if you want to come close to seeing what it feels like to be in a setting like that you should check out Muckross House. I also appreciated our Irish hostess who made a pitch for how important it was for us to respect and take care our surroundings and environment. We followed our lovely tour of the house by taking a hike to the Torc Waterfall and we were blessed by a beautifully sunny day. Everything was so picturesque.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

You can only go through this house on a guided tour but it is well worth the price of admission. The tour lasts about an hour and the guides are very thorough explaining the architecture, furniture and history of the house. The grounds are well worth the walk as well. Must visit if you're in the area.

Reviewed 4 April 2018

Great, friendly tour guide, lovely experience. The tour was long enough to take it all in. Beautiful views.

See more reviews
Reviewed 3 April 2018 via mobile

This place is stunning! You MUST take the tour to get a sense of the glamour of this Victorian mansion. You’ll also learn about the history of the families who lived here and their impact on the surrounding communities. I’m sure the gardens are lovely, too, but it was cold and rainy when I was there so I skipped those. On a sunny day, however, this would be a great place for long strolls and a picnic lunch.