“one of the most beautiful places in the world”
Review of Skellig Michael

Ranked #5 of 383 things to do in County Kerry
Huntsville, Alabama
100 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 135 helpful votes
“one of the most beautiful places in the world”
Reviewed 15 April 2012

it is hard to get there. we waited several days for the weather to calm down enough for a landing. we did not see the puffins :(. still, this is one of the most beautiful places i have ever visited. the climb is not bad, we are not in great shape and we all made it, eight of us from 54 yrs down to 11 yrs old. highly recommend sean feehan's boat service in ballinskellig!

Visited April 2012
3 Thank Kent W
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

• Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 63 helpful votes
“Feehans boats:warning!”
Reviewed 14 April 2012

Last weekend, a group of eight friends and four others tried to visit Skellig Michael using Sean Feehans boat trip service. For your own safety and mental well being I'd advise anyone intending on visiting the Skelligs to use one of the other operators. The journey out was terrifying as we made our way through 20-25foot waves. One of the passengers seat broke and she landed on the floor of the boat. When we got to the island we couldn't land because it was too unsafe. A few people were hanging out the back of the boat being sick during all of this. We got life jackets out only to realise that there was not enough for everyone, short by three. Everyone was miserable and just wanted to get back to dry land. We were also charged 50euro for the pleasure of the trip and Mr Feehan refused to offer any refund despite not landing. Afterwards, when we spoke to locals they told us the winds had not been suitable for making a trip to the Skelligs and the captain should have known this. I will not be revisiting the Skelligs in this lifetime after that trip, it was awful.

63 Thank thehousewiththebam
Longview, Texas
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Amazing!”
Reviewed 6 April 2012

If you care the least about history - particularly the rich history Ireland has in preserving our world's most precious works of literature....you MUST make the pilgrimage to the Skelligs. We took a boat out and the seas were too rough to actually walk to the top of Skellig Michael, but seeing the beehive caves from the sea below, and imagining the conditions these monks lived in and the devotion required to do so, was priceless. This remains on my "bucket list" and I will return again to actually make the hike to the top! Do not miss this! It's not in the typical tourist guide - probably because it requires some effort to get there - which is part of what makes it so unique. (PS: beware if you get motion/sea sickness!)

Visited September 2011
2 Thank KitCoward
Poway
33 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 30 helpful votes
“The history of Ireland before your very eyes”
Reviewed 28 March 2012

Forget the Blarney Stone. Try to see Skellig Michael, a remote island accessible by boat where 5th-6th Century monks, living atop a 700-foot mountain in stone beehive huts, preserved the Bible and probably the English language as well by making copies by hand. The trip involves an hour boat ride to the island on an ocean than can be rough, as well as a climb up and down the mountain which is guaranteed to be not only rough but scary. The monks carved and placed some 600 stone steps for you to traverse, not one step resembling any other. The trip was nothing less than inspirational. Check out Skellig Michael in the literature.

Visited July 2011
Kalispell, Montana
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“So beautiful, it doesn't look real!”
Reviewed 21 February 2012

This is a long overdue report of our trip to Skellig Michel. We stayed a couple of nights in Killarney at the Arbutus. (An A+ review to come in the future about the Arbutus!) The more than friendly staff at the Arbutus, upon our check in the night before our trip to Skellig Michael, made arrangements for us to go. We took the beautiful drive to the quaint little port town, up the Ring of Kerry Road to meet Captain Ken Ruddy. My boyfriend, our 3 year old and myself took the trip, with our son in our backpack. Ken was the most amazing, informative, and friendly Captain. And then there was his little dog Nini, who found a place to ride on my lap the majority of the way out. Nini just tickled my son's heart, we still talk about Nini and have photos of Nini.

Can I tell you what a perfect day it was. Pure blue skies, I don't even think there were more but a couple of clouds out. The ocean-calm as I could have ever hoped for. The ride out was spectacular. I think I had burned up about 50 photos by this point. As you get closer and closer to Skellig and little Skellig, like the title of my post, it is so beautiful, it doesn't look real! It looks like something out of an Indiana Jones movie, or the island on King Kong. All the photos I saw prior to our trip, do about 1/2 justice. These islands are by far, a couple of the most glorious and beautiful places on earth.

I was a little nervous because we had my son in a backpack-the only way to do it if you have a little one, don't let them walk up on their own. The steps are extremely steep, but, as they tell you when you get there, walk about 10-15 steps, stop, take a breather and then start again. Once you get to the top, there are places to sit on the ground and have lunch, etc. The beehive huts at the top and ruins are magnificent!

On the walk down, there was a couple of men, one who was crying, as he was scared to go down. I told him don't look out towards the ocean, the far left or right, just concentrate on the step in front of you, then the next and the next, and you will be fine. He made it down a lot better with this tip. So if you get yourself in this position, try this!

On our way back, we went to little Skellig island. As you approach, what looked like "snow" covered peaks on the island, were millions of birds, I have never seen so many in my life! Our captain said it was the calmest seas he had seen in over 25 years. With that said, he actually took us into a crevice of the island and out the other side-AMAZING! We were truly blessed to have such a wonderful day and opportunity to do this!

If you get the chance, do this at least once in your lifetime, you will not regret it. I think if the weather was bad, I would not take a small child and I would take a walking stick, as I think the steps could be very slick when wet.

Visited August 2011