“Good experience”

Abbeylee Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #34 of 188 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 19 February 2012

Nice B&B, very average size rooms but clean. Brweakfast was to die for and hospitality was great.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Abbeylee Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 7 February 2012

Mike & Marie welcomed us into their home like we were family. From the first interaction: we got lost in Galway and Mike came to meet us and have us follow him home - to the many requests: our teenage son preferred his breakfast egg cooked a certain way (he was in the kitchen cooking with Mike), a glass of wine from their own personal stock for my mother-in-law on a "dry" holiday, driving us down to a suggested restaurant when we couldn't think of getting back in our car again, and allowing us to add a room the second night for our son.

Their home was clean and welcoming. Marie has a toothbruth in her pocket for cleaning to get at the tough spots in the bathrooms (I asked). There were extra blankets in the living room for reading. The courtyard was quaint and quiet with spots to sit and relax. Breakfast was excellent - fresh bakery, fruit, tea, coffee and as mentioned above, even cooked to order items.

We liked the location for the quiet neighborhood. We were able to walk each morning down to the ocean and boardwalk - just a nice walk down the hill. Parking was fine - they had a spot for our rental in their front lot.

Overall it was like staying with family (but better!) - there were even hugs when we left and promises from us to see them again on a future return trip. Staying with Mike & Marie was a nice way to meet an Irish couple that we wouldn't have had the priviledge of doing if we stayed at a hotel or large inn.

(Sorry this review is long overdo Mike & Marie! We can't believe it was last Spring already - hope all is well.)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 November 2011

Decided to book this B&B based on the previous reviews but I can't understand what all the fuss was about. The B&B is located in a quiet cul-de-sac.  The lady of the house answered the door and said it was €40 each as it was a Saturday night. We were offered some scones that were "left over". We did not know if they were left over since breakfast or the day before so we declined. No offer of maps or advice was given, unlike the other reviews  Her husband waved from a couch in the kitchen but did not get up.
The B&B is about 10 years old and is purpose built. By that I mean it has the minimum size of room and en-suite that comply with the requirements. Or do they ? The en-suite is the width of the shower base, 3 feet and it is about 8 feet long. Way too tight for comfort!  There was a double and single bed in the room. In my opinion, an extra bed should only be brought in when required and not be in the room all year round.  The double is set back one side of the chimney breast, allowing a locker on one side of the bed only. When the curtains of the bay window are drawn, the person on the inside has to wade through the closed  curtains or climb over the other person in the bed. There was no locker or chair for the single bed.  When I tried to collect some coins that had fallen out of my pocket, I found a tablet under the bed. I flushed it down the toilet. The towels were damp and there was one tissue in the box

Breakfast the following morning was no later than 9.30. I consider this to be quite restrictive. Breakfast was OK but you had to make your own toast and pour your own juice.  Hardly 4 star treatment.
All in all, I do not think is premises is worthy of the 4 star rating and I think that many of the reviews are suspect. We would not stay here again .

• Stayed: October 2011
9  Thank joebre
Reviewed 19 October 2011

Abbeylee is a lovely, well maintained B&B. Marie and Mike are gracious, welcoming hosts. They were eager to provide maps, recommendations for restaurants and directions. Breakfast menu is varied and all is delicious! We were traveling with our son and daughter-in-law and we all enjoyed our 2 night stay. We'll surely recommend Abbeylee to our traveling friends. Thank you for making our visit to your wonderful country so memorable

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 October 2011

I wrote my previous review (disappointed) on my daughters trip advisor and to prove I stayed in your 4star b+b iv attached photos of the bed up against the wall with worn sheets and blankets on them and bathroom with no shelves for cosmetics. I note you didnt deny any of my observations I speak as I find.

• Stayed: October 2011