“Great hosts!!”
Review of Almara House

Almara House
Ranked #11 of 189 Galway B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 January 2012

My husband and I were booking our accommodations in Galway rather last minute and we found Almara House via the Bed and Breakfast Ireland website. I sent them a direct enquiry via e-mail and got a very welcoming reply.

The B&B is located in a small development off the main highway. We found it no problem thanks to an Ordnance Map of Galway (always good to have!!) and Google maps, which showed us the exact location and a picture of the B&B.

Matt and Marie were very helpful recommending pubs in town and letting us use their phone.

There are actually very few B&Bs located in the city centre, so we didn't mind having to commute a few minutes into town. Getting into the centre of Galway was very simple. We drove to a car park and spent very little on parking. The bus also stops near to the house.

Matt and Marie have made every effort to provide what they think their guests need (e.g. the only B&B we stayed at that had hair dryers in the rooms!).

You MUST have Marie's porridge! She soaks the oats the night before and includes honey and a shot of Bailey's on the side. It is spectacular!!

We truly were welcomed into the family and would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mtaggart2
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 30 December 2011

My family of four stayed with Matt and Marie in December, and must say we thoroughly enjoyed their accommodation, and wonderful choice of breakfasts including our favourite
Eggs Benedict with Hollandaise. The rooms offered fluffy towels and toiletries, and I loved the feel of the soft Duvets and memory foam pillows. We have wonderful memories of Almara House. Our GPS refused to work while we were in Galway and Marie kindly offered us the use of her Sat Nav.

us hers

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank monica r
Reviewed 6 December 2011

Was hard to find to start with. Room needs some update. Breskfast not too bad and very friendly owners.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank 153Walt_P
Reviewed 1 December 2011

We enjoyed our stay with Matt and Marie, who are very friendly and helpful, and have a lovely, extremely clean home, 5 min drive from Galway City center, and famous Quay St., in the Latin Quarter. My husband and I, as well as our adult children, found the ensuite rooms and beds to be quite comfortable, tho our bathroom was a bit small but fine. Matt escorted us to our rooms on the 2nd floor, and requested that we fill out our preferences for breakfast. The Eggs Benedict, and all other choices were perfectly done, and we all enjoyed our stay. Our children also enjoyed the dance clubs on Quay St. till the wee hours, filled with college students and young adults..they liked Galway the best! We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 7 November 2011

After last minute changes of plans, I needed to find a B&B quickly in Galway the day before we were due to arrive. Almara was one of only two places that could accomodate us at reasonable rates.

Upon arrival we were surprised to notice just how far out of the town centre we were, relatively speaking. Maps suggest that the B&B is within the town centre but the reality is it's a good 15 minute bus ride away. This wasn't a problem, the bus stop is not even 5 minutes walk away and the bus services were frequent, even on a Sunday, but it did catch us out initially. Location wise, unless you are desperate to be right in the centre of Galway, it's fine. Approx 1 euro each bus fare to go into town, and we paid between 8 and 10 euro to get back after dinner/drinks each night on taxis.

The accomodation is very clean and perfect sized for a couple with individual en suites for each room. Shower was slightly underpowered, I'm guessing because the water pressure for what is basically a large, family home is being redirected to a number of ensuites added after the fact perhaps. Our biggest complaint however was the bed and it was almost certainly to do with personal preference - our bed was one of the cheaper memory foam matresses (or it certainly felt like it!), but was too hard for us and both myself and I suffered from relatively poor sleep because of it. Not enough to ruin the trip and I'm certain this wouldn't bother others at all, but still was a disappointment.

Our hosts were very nice, friendly and helpful, giving advice on how to get into town, what to expect etc. as well as advice on our planned trip to Connemara. Breakfasts, which form a large part of any B&B experience, were good though not as spectacular as some tripadvisor reviews made out. Portion sizes were quite a lot smaller than I expected - for example, the sausaage with sweet chilli option is literally just that. I had expected a number of sausages, perhaps some egg, but a small bowl of chilli and three chipolata sausages was all I got. Tasty, but small. Other dishes were a little larger and you can fill yourself up on their toast if needed, but I was expecting more on this front.

Overall, it was a very good B&B and it's really only a couple of niggles, some unique to myself and my wife, that would stop me giving this place the full 5 stars. We realised after the fact that rather than feeling like a regular B&B it was like staying with grandparents which I think is testament to the care & attention our hosts put into it.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple