“does its job, but felt a bit crowded and narrow”

Sleepzone Hostel Galway
Laurel, Maryland
“does its job, but felt a bit crowded and narrow”
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here for one night in April. It was a weekend so it was very busy, as were all hostels in Galway. It's a decent hostel. The staff was friendly.

My biggest gripe was that my room didn't have lockers for my stuff (though you can rent lockers in the lobby, but it's inconvenient to go all the way down there).

The place was crowded and the breakfast area was full of tables squeezed together. Does its job, but I've been to hostels whose common areas are much more inviting and open to the solo traveler wanting to meet new people (more open space is what I crave...this is a personal preference so if you're like me you might feel the same). This would be a good place to go with groups. I saw several groups from different countries and they were having a blast. People with accents, from Germany, from France. Many cool travelers come here.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Finnish first
Incheon, South Korea
Reviewed 31 October 2011

I stayed here with a friend in a 6 person room. The beds were comfortable and lockers were available downstairs. The kitchen was really nice too as was the dining area and the lounge. My only problem wasn't actually with the hostel itself but rather the other people staying with us. There were some really annoying French girls who kept coming in and out of room and the bathroom connected to our room had paper thins walls so even someone just turning on the faucet in the middle of the night was obnoxiously loud. The staff was really friendly and the location of the hostel is right off a few streets with restaurants and shops.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with friends
Montreal, Canada
Reviewed 22 October 2011

This is a hard one to write. From what I remember of my first impressions, there was little to nothing to complain about. A very nice kitchen area, good showers, and clean facilities all around. The staff were mostly very helpful, except for one woman who just seemed like she was having the worst day of her life.

The problem I had was with my roommates. I needed a place to stay for a night before heading off to the Aran Islands in the morning. I figured I would go with something cheap, and I'm not easily bothered by limited space, so I took a room in a five person dorm. A good proportion of the hotel guests were quite young, so I guess everything that happened from this point was to be expected.

I go to bed at 11:30, but I have still never even seen my roommates. All the other beds are filled, so I leave on one of the lights above the other beds (a great idea to have individual lights for each bed), so that they'll be able to see when they get home. They barge in completely drunk at 3 AM, and are laughing like hyenas, and then ate crackers for about 30 minutes (you're technically not allowed eating in the room). They kept daring each other to do something to me - I still don't know what it was, but I pretended I was asleep so that they would try something, and I'd have a reason to get them kicked out of there.

Obviously this is not going to happen to everyone, but the thing is, there are many B&Bs around Galway for similar prices. I stayed in one the next night, and it was 1000x better quality, a single room, and only 10 euros more. No reason to risk it if you're over 21.

Room Tip: Not the dorms!
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank terryhbell
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2011

This was a good hostel to stay at. There are lockers available for luggage, and the washrooms are large enough and clean. The kitchen area is very large with lots of seating.

This was the first hostel I stayed at where I had to ask to switch rooms - not due to the room, but the person sharing it. The hostel was excellent with handing this and gave me another room right away - mind you the hostel was not full at the time.

It gets very busy on the weekends with students, so plan around this by booking early or coming during the week.

Overall a great stay.

Room Tip: Stay away from the ground floor - drunk students will ruin your sleep.
  • Stayed October 2010, travelled solo
1 Thank Dave S
California
Reviewed 4 September 2011

The best parts of staying at this Sleepzone were the helpful, friendly staff and the location - super close to the main square and bus station. I stayed in a private room in an apartment-like setting with a couple who had the other room. We shared a bathroom as well as a kitchen and living space. I wasn't in the hostel that much, but it was very clean and the common area in the main part of the hostel was fun - lots of people at the common tables and cooking in the kitchen. My only real complaint was that the door to my private room had window slats in it - they were obscured, but let in light (luckily my apartment mates weren't up late) and a little open, which didn't feel super secure. Other than that, though, it was a great place to stay for my short to trip to Galway.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo