“A nice, standard Radisson hotel”

Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway
Ranked #15 of 45 Hotels in Galway
DC
“A nice, standard Radisson hotel”
Reviewed 24 June 2012

I'm usually not a fan of staying in chain hotels when I travel, and my friend actually made the arrangements for this leg of our trip, but I will say that the Radisson Blu was a very comfortable place for us to land while we were in Galway. The room was spacious and clean, with a nice en suite bath and all the right amenities. The hotel had a great location and was an easy walk to all of the major attractions, and the view of the water was lovely. There was quite a lot of noise from a big party down in one of the event rooms that carried up to our room, and it seemed that the Hotel wasn't prepared for the mob of people that came along with this event. But the service we received was very good. A tip - you can pass on the breakfast and just go get coffee and scones somewhere nearby - it wasn't anything special. I probably wouldn't return, only because I like to stay in more local hotels when I travel abroad, since I get my share of chain hotels when I travel for business domestically, but if you like the comfort of a major chain, I'd highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
, Social Media Executive at Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway, responded to this review, 25 June 2012
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your review and we are delighted you were able to experience the Radisson Blu Hotel & Spa, Galway for the first time. It is lovely to hear you were pleased with your stay and would recommend us to others.

I hope you will choose us again the next time you are in Galway.

Jennifer Duggan
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (425)
Reviewed 23 June 2012

Stayed last wkend and really was one of the worst hotels I have ever had the displeasure to staying in. There was no atmosphere, rooms shabby - room service disgraceful on morning leaving the person bringing breakfast to room insisted on us paying €4.50 in cash as we had prepaid our accommodation. Others issues: one bath towel four to people, room need redecoration leak stains on walls carpets worn. penthouse views however no table & chairs to sit and enjoy the view. Would never stay in the hotel not that it would appear that they will be there much longer.

• Stayed June 2012
3 Thank Momenjoying
Dear Guest,

I am so disappointed to read your comments and must apologise on behalf of the hotel if you felt we let you down. Our guests comments and feedback is very important to us and the last thing we want is for you to walk away unsatisfied with your experience. I can promise you that we always aim for 100% Guest Satisfaction and I would hope that you will not let this experience deter you from staying again in future. I would welcome a call if you would like to discuss your stay any further and I would be happy to look after you with an upgrade should you wish to stay with us in the coming months.

jennifer.duggan@radissonblu.com
+353 91 538620
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Anytime I have the chance to stay in a Radisson Blu Hotel I always jump to the chance. I have been blown away numerous times by the beautiful rooms and good service. However, checking in to this hotel was quite disappointing. I arrived at 2:30 pm to check in and was informed that I would have to wait until 3:00 to get my room. Apparently no rooms were ready so a bunch of people and I waited. As time passed, new people started arriving and were able to check in! It made me quite frustrated. I think the man could tell I wasn't too happy because he became extremely accommodating after that. The rooms are very spacious and modern and I have a room overlooking the sea. Overall I do recommend this hotel, but hopefully you won't have to wait too long for your room!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Laura N
Dear Guest,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to review our hotel, it seems you are a loyal return customer and that means a lot to us. I understand your frustration with check in. This is one of the hardest areas to manage as we have such a large number of rooms, with little turnover time from check out, to check in but we always aim to accommodate all guests. The next time you are planning on visiting please do not hesitate to mention to reservations that you will be an early check in and we will try our best to have a room ready for you.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to Galway very soon.

Cheshire
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Of all my 70 odd nights a year in hotels, over the 22 years I have been travelling the UK & Ireland, I will remember the stay in this hotel long after I have forgottom many more recent ones!

I booked online, a Business Class room, and at the end of the process, the booking asked if I'd like to consider an optional (chargeable upgrade), to a junior suite. I thought I'd keep my options open, and I ticked yes - I would like to consider an upgrade, I'd confirm upon my arrival.

I was warmly greeted at reception, and during check-in, I was informed I had been upgraded. Excellent, I thought, (I've heard that before), I'll just check what the room rate is, so I know what the score is, when making decisions about additional charges. I was informed the rate was the rate for the BC room I had booked, WITHOUT the surcharge for the suite - in other, (but unspoken) words - a free upgrade! Result!

The young lady went on to inform me the floor I was on had exclusive use of a lounge, which for one hour per evening served complimentary alcoholic drinks. This was a nice touch, so as I was doing my expenses, I could sip away on free vino, complimnents of the hotel - a most unusual and welcome benefit.

My room was huge, with a great rooftop balcony, (shame about the lack of decent view), large bed, huge TV and large bathroom, separate shower etc. All looking good!

The lift was infuriating. I swear it was faulty. It had no memory. It was like a young, barmaid on her first night, who served the loudest customer - not the one who had been there the longest. I spent hours in that lift - up & down, down & up, up, down, etc - you get the idea!

Breakfast was a bun fight - hoards of bussed in guests fighting for the last banana. I don't begrudge a hotel selling loads of rooms on the cheap to fill it up, even to busses of aged, foreign tourists, we all have to make a living. The trouble is, their busses all leave at the same time - so several coach loads of camera-toting pensioners are all clogging up the breakfast room all at the same time! Needless to say, I didn't return for breakfast during my 4 night stay.

The huge TV was indeed huge and no doubt expensive, but desoite its size, it could not provide a decent picture. I mentioned this on more than one occasion, but the picture showed no signs of improvement. It just goes to show that size isn't everything!

On Thursday evening, I was not alone in the executive lounge, where the free plonk was gone before you knew it - noone was on hand to ensure supplies were sufficient. (Don't provide a "service" if you can't provide the service)!

With no wine left, I tried a couple of glasses of Baileys, which was in the warm cupboard beside the frigde. Most of you already, are one step ahead of me I'm sure, but it was only when I was being violently ill, in my executive sink that I deduced my reaction was not because I had drank myself into oblivion, (that was barely possible with the wine rationing), but the Baileys must have been responsible.

Note to self: don't drink Baileys unless you open a fresh bottle. The warm cupboard and time spent 'on a low light' had turned the Baileys from a, "It's OK if you just have one or two", to "OMG I'm never drinking again, so long as I live"!!

With few power sockets in the right place, ie beside the bed, I asked if I could have an extension lead to use. Sure enough, a long 4 way trailing socket was delivered to my room.

At check-out, the fun began. Seriously damaged from talking to God, into my executive sink half the night, I was not firing on all cylinders. I failed to notice the €8.00 charge they had made for my trailing socket! Now I don't know if they thought I was going to take it home - and it merited a charge, (it was not new), or whether the charge was merely for borrowing it for a couple of nights. Either way - it was down right cheeky, but I didn't notice until I got back to the office, where doing ones expenses, (without free plonk), is less enjoyable.

Despite me looking like death warmed up, and feeling like Mr Death himself, I was on the ball enough to notice the even cheekier €24 a night upgrade charge! I explained the circumstances surrounding the check-in, and those discussed upon arrival, but the chap serving me (Micheal - spelt like that on the invoice), was not very interested. Because the lady that served me only had access to the room charge, not the upgrade details, he was happy the charge should remain. Normally, I would have a 'song and dance' about this, as it was totally unfair and handled very unprofessionally. Instead, because I was losing the will to live, and I could spare no more time debating who was most inefficient/inaccurate, I suggested the best he was going to get from me was 50% of the upgrade charges. It bugs me now, thinking back, but wounded and defenceless, I paid and left.

So, other than the nice big room, big bed, big TV (big disapointment), big executive lounge, big queue at breakfast, big wait in lift every day, big clean up required in big executive sink, big rip-off for loan of lead & spurious upgrade charges, big bill, and big headache one day, everything was fine!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled on business
8 Thank Dodgergammon
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write your review and provide us with feedback of your recent stay with us. I am very disappointed and shocked to read your comments and can only apologise on behalf of the Management team for the experience you had with us. As there are many issues mentioned here I would be happy to discuss these with you by email or telephone. I can assure you we take all of our guests comments very seriously and we thank you for bringing these to our attention.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

jennifer.duggan@radissonblu.com
+ 353 91 538620
Dublin
Reviewed 21 June 2012

Second time staying here - good location close to the city centre, nice rooms and leisure centre. Breakfast a little limited but good overall - didn't eat food in the hotel in the evening so cannot comment on the restaurant quality or service. Front of house service friendly and helpful with suggestions.

Would recommend.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Many thanks for your kind review. It is great to hear you would be happy to recommend the hotel to others, this means a lot to us. We look forward to welcoming you back to Galway very soon.