“If you like construction noise every night until past 3am, stay here!”

Dublin City Apartments
Ranked #70 of 130 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed 16 May 2017

I rented Stewart House Apartment 3 for three months while I am on a temporary assignment here in Ireland for 800 Euro/week. For that, you get a small, furnished apartment in a rundown, old building with shabby rooms. I can deal with that...what Dublin City Apartments neglected to tell me was that there is a MAJOR construction project going on downtown and it goes on literally around the clock. I am typically not the type to complain, but I am not at all exaggerating when I tell you that they run a cement bandsaw right outside my window until after 3am many nights (I have video to prove it that I wish I could upload). Note that the bandsaw operators are wearing heavy-duty hearing protection as the deciBels are extreme. On nights when the bandsaw is not running, you can expect to hear continuous heavy-machinery operations and the sounds of a generator running. Even through earplugs it is impossible to get to sleep. The flashing construction lights blinking on and off all night is another matter completely.
When I mentioned these issues, I was offered another apartment that is a 40-minute walk away, which does not work for me because I take the bus into work every morning and the route starts just around the corner from this apartment (why I selected that apartment). Given that the distant apartment won't work for me, I was offered another one that will, but not for two weeks.
The noise and flashing lights are so incredibly bad that nobody would pay to live in this apartment. When I noted this, management took it up with senior management who offered me one free night of rent. Really?!? You rent an apartment that should NOT be rented under the circumstances and offer a single free night for all of the lost nights of sleep? It is not that the office employees are not friendly - they are, but that senior management throws up their hands and say it is not their fault that there is construction noise. I agree, but they should also NOT be renting out that particular apartment - especially for 800 Euro/week.

Room Tip: Get a room on a high floor and as far away from the street construction as possible.
  • Stayed: May 2017, travelled on business
DublinCityApartments, Guest Relations Manager at Dublin City Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2017

Dear James,

Thank you for your review, we do appreciate all the critics, positive and negative here in City Break Apartments.

We're sorry that you have had to experience construction noise regards the new luas line, and that's been happening in the City during your arrival to Dublin in May.
Unfortunately we could have not known that in the time of your booking in March, as the works have been moving along the City. This is out of our control, and we have tried our best to move you to a different apartment available at the moment we received your first complaint regarding.

Our goal is to bring the good experience to our customers, and we do our best to prove that.

We were happy to find you a second alternative apartment very near your original location, and also to hear that after all you have settled well with the new apartment, and I'm happy to say you are still our guest at the moment.

Martina

Reviewed 7 May 2017 via mobile

We stayed as a group of five for four nights in the Lafayette apartment that this company rent out.
Firstly it was not clearly indicated that the address given is just their office and we had to go there (no parking) to pick up the keys and pay etc etc. the lady that spoke to us here was rude and seemed to have very little idea about answering the questions we had- even about how to get to the actual apartment.

During correspondence we had been led to believe that we had a parking space at the apartment but this wasn't the case (read the fine print - lesson learnt) and parking in the centre of Dublin is a nightmare.

All this aside, the worst part was that there was enormous road works happening all around the apartment and we found out this had been going on for over six months.
No where was this mentioned when booking the apartment and the paper thin windows (no double glazing to be seen) did not do much to quiet the jack hammer in 24hr use just below the apartment.
If we knew this was the case we definitely would not have booked- being from Australia there is no way for us to have any idea about the roadwork situation in Dublin.... the price was clearly high purely due to the location - which is a good location but the apartment itself was average at best.

Will not be using this company again and couldn't recommend them to others based on our experience.

Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family
DublinCityApartments, Owner at Dublin City Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2017

You have mostly reviewed apartment on construction works & noise in the city centre. We are not told of exact dates on when late night works will commence and its very unfair to label your review as you did.
No where is advertising does it say onsite parking but we do offer secure underground parking less than a 10 minute walk away for only EUR10 per 24hrs.
(:public car parks charge between EUR2.50 - EUR4.00 per hour)
As an owner, its frustrating to hear terrible service as some people don't get self catering apartments.
If you want room service, stay in a hotel, if you want sitting-room and kitchen space and the lovely family/friends moments these spaces create, than you understand self catering apartment experience.
We do our best and my team try and help as best they can.
Johnny

Reviewed 30 April 2017

Firstly, I want to say how impressed we were when dealing with ANY staff member from Dublin City Apartments, they are SO helpful, thank,you. We stayed at Lafayette apartments for 4 nights over Easter. First impression - clean spacious & modern. As we looked closer, there were lots of faults. Zero cold water pressure in the kitchen - takes nearly 10 minutes to fill the kettle. The plug socket in the kitchen is hanging off the wall. Looks very dangerous. So we didn't use that one. The toaster could not be used at the same in the kitchen, when turned on it caused everything in the kitchen to go off. Luckily the fuse box is easily accessible to reset the fuses, many times.
The blinds would not open or close. We had to sit in the plunge area with sun in our eyes, there were a few windows so no escaping from it until the sun had set.
Hot water - on our first morning we had lovely hot water. - boiling in fact - but NO cold water anywhere in the apartment. Thankfully a plumber was promptly sent to us it sort it out!
Bathroom fixtures and fittings need looking at - items either broken or missing. We tried adjusting the temperate of the apartment to warm it up a bit, but we spent most of the time cold as it was quite chilly over Easter. The heaters in the hall way were ok, they seemed to heat the hallway quite nicely.
They're all small things I am raising here, we did have a very good stay there.
If you want a taxi to the airport, use the local Dublin taxi company - CAB2000 - tel 00 353 1890 09 00 - they are super efficient, very helpful and friendly AND €20 cheaper than the one arranged by the apartments or by official taxi transfer companies.
I also recommend Thai Orchid restaurant (on Westmoreland St) their food was fabulous!!!

• Stayed: April 2017, travelled with family

Dear Claire,

Thank you for your positive review and constructive critic, we appreciate it very much!

Happy to hear you enjoyed your stay in Dublin and with City Break Apartment, regardless bits that were raised in your review, for which I'm happy to say we looked into and rectified issues, so we will be very happy to have you with us again to prove it! :)

Martina

Reviewed 19 April 2017

I searched for an apartment for approx 3 months. I stated clearly during the solely written correspondence, that without a viewing of the apartment beforehand, I am not willed to rent one of their apartments. They showed me two apartments and I decided to take the one in Pembroke Street. Properties: 1st floor, facing the backyard and with a small wardrobe before entering the living area.

After I collected the keys (approx two weeks after the viewing) in their headquarter, I headed towards my apartment but there I saw that they gave me the wrong key, at least that was what I was thinking... I rang the office to signalise that there has been made a mistake, but that evening no one of the management was available to solve my issue, so I accepted to stay that specific night in the wrong apartment. I also requested that this problem should be handled immediately the next day (verbal and written), in order to move into the flat I had inspected, but the next day happened nothing till I contacted the office again (email). They answered me that the apartment I had inspected is not available anymore but they can offer me another one, which was by the way more expensive and in another location. I was absolutely stunned about this answer and that there was not even a spark of "sorry we made a mistake".

Because the apartment I got from them was evidently different than the one I inspected (ground floor next to the main entrance door, facing the street, no wardrobe and smaller!!!), I suggested some alternative solutions (Solution 1: another apartment in the same building which is similar to the one I inspected. Solution 2: an adequate discount on the one I was living in. Solution 3: A similar apartment for the same rate in another location which has the same or similar distance to a green LUAS station. Solution 4: Lawyer...)

Their answer: I got a call from the management. Quote: "The viewing was just to get an idea"...."it was mentioned during the viewing that the apartment is just a sample"...

Unbelievable and ABSOLUTELY RIDICULOUS!!! What is the natural purpose of a flat viewing....?
It is like getting presented an absolutely new car for a certain price but at the end you get the 5 year second hand version. Additionally I have to emphasize that never, neither written nor during the viewing was mentioned that the apartment which will be shown to me is just a sample! It is absolutely absurd and useless to show a "sample" which is significantly different than the final one! The viewing was the only verbal contact before the declaration of intention, and the Lady which has shown me the apartment just stated that she is only here to show me the apartment and for everything else I should contact the office.
But at least they offered me the reimbursement.

So, it was not clear yet if I stay or move out, but in order to avoid more problems, I asked Dublin City apartments to confirm that certain photos I took in the apartment represent the status of the apartment in which it was given to me (those photos are attached to this review). Their answer was that I have to vacant the apartment within 7 days... (a not legal postulation!) This was the second time I was absolutely stunned by the treatment of this company!

Whoever is familiar with the housing market in Dublin, knows how hard it is to find a flat, so I had to ask threshold.ie (Housing services and support) for advice and support in order to get more time to search for a new flat.

This was an absolutely nightmare!
Conclusion: 100% disappointed!

Addition:
- Coat hook bathroom broken
- Light cooking plate broken
- toilet paper holder broken
- chopping marks next to the sink
- coffee marks on the wall

• Stayed: March 2017, travelled solo

Very hard reading when full story is missing.
We did show you a apartment in a block of units by a new employee, who should have clearly stated, that you may get an alternative apartment, as people extend their bookings or that to secure this apartment, you need to book it straightaway.
After few days you booked apartment & you did receive a smaller studio apartment that you viewed and once you contacted us complaining, we asked Jackie who done viewing, what was said in and she confessed that she didn't mention that you could be booked into a different apartment in same building, as a studio is a studio in her mind.
We did offer to move you, as soon as we could but due to your rudeness and little sympathy from a novice mistake, I didn't want to extend your stay and wanted you out as we don't believe in insulting language from a 20 year plus upstart to any of our staff.
Johnny

Reviewed 11 April 2017

Came with family to visit Dublin city and travel to west of Ireland on day trips.CityBreak had recommended at private airport pick-up driver which we accepted as was reasonably priced, $50, made checkin very straight forward.
We checked into CityBreak offices and the staff were extremely pleasant, well inform and helpful.
Once finished,our driver took us to Apt and helped with bags.
The apartment was easy to find and once we entered, it was very clean and spacious.
There's information guide which has WiFi codes and internet speed was fast as i like watching Netflix.
Would recommend staying with this company again, very good experience and good clean apartment.

Room Tip: Get airport pick-up driver, cheap and makes check-in very easy!
  • Stayed: March 2017, travelled with family