“Comfortable”
Review of Dylan Hotel

Dylan Hotel
Ranked #39 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 3 December 2011

Overall very good hotel. Room was a good size - underfloor heating and heated towel rail good features in bathroom. However lack of shelf space in bathroom, no bath and could hear noise in corridor, from lift and neighbouring rooms. Bed and pillows were quite uncomfortable. It is a good 10 minute walk to St Stephens Green (Best Coffee on the Green was good for a quick pitstop).
Eating in was a bit pricey, though food was good. Good alternative was the Waterloo Bar and Grill round the corner at half the price and a great alternative was the Bang restaurant in Merrion Row (similar price to hotel, but very tasty food). Also expresso bar across the road cheaper alternative for breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for room not beside the lift.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Fayfife
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 28 November 2011

On arrival of this hotel we asked could we check in to be told the room wasn't ready, this was fine as it was only 11am. The girl at reception told us they could park the car and take our luggage for us, which was great, and they would give us a call when the room was ready. I went to use the bathroom and when I came back my husband had been talking to the receptionist and when she found out it was my 40th birthday she upgraded us with no extra charge and as there was an upgraded room ready she let us check in there and then. The room was just beautiful, lovely and bright, spacious and even had a tv in the bathroom! Our whole experience of the hotel was first class, when you pay a bit more for something you always hope its going to be ok but this was so much more. The staff were all very pleasant and helpful, without being "over the top".

I would say this is a hotel close to the city centre which is very modern, without being pretentious, it is very comfortable and cozy - it doesn't give you the feeling of a big city centre hotel where you are only a number, you actually felt the staff the actually cared and wanted to help. Hopefully we will return again sometime.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank speedyuna
Reviewed 8 November 2011

I always worry when I book something that costs a little more than I am used to spending. You woant to make sure it's worth the cost. My husband and I found that it was completely worth it. It was the perfect hotel for us - welcoming, chic without being pretentious, comfortable, modern and yet cozy, lovely staff, and delicious food. We plan on going back to Dublin in the future and we will definitely be back at The Dylan.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Erica S
Reviewed 1 November 2011

I recently spent two nights at the Dylan - it was my first (and possibly) last time staying there. My experience does not match what others have found.

First off the positives:
- The location of the hotel is fine for those requiring access to the south side of the city centre.
- The room was spacious and well furnished
- Complimentary wifi worked fine with a decent signal throughout the hotel

Now for the negatives - there were several issues encountered as part of the my stay:
- on the first night, a dog barked for most of the night interrupting my sleep and others. The hotel has a pet-friendly policy which is hidden away on the FAQ section of their website. I did raise the issue with a member of the staff on the following morning and got an answer which suggested that the pets had priority. Given I had paid almost 200 euros per night to stay there, I found the attitude a little hard to understand.
- Soundproofing between rooms is poor.
- Car parking is valet only and is expensive.
- During my stay, I did not feel very welcome. The staff can best be described as aloof.
- The television in my room did not work properly - would not power off or change channel.
- Breakfast was included in the room rate - it is not worth paying for separately. Over-priced and lukewarm on both mornings.

In general I would not recommend this hotel - it appears to be a carryover from the Celtic Tiger which has not moved with the times.

Final note - I did leave a comment card for the manager outlining the issues I found and have given the hotel time to respond. However I have not received any response leading to this negative review.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank CobraBlue
Reviewed 1 November 2011

My husband booked this hotel as a surprise for my birthday. We had stayed here in the past and it is a special place for us.
Once again we were given a spacious room which was decorated beautifully.
The bed was massive and uber-comfy. The bathroom was spotless and full of towels and toiletries.
On arrival there was a card and some chocolate brownies left in the room for us, a lovely touch.
Room service breakfast was delicious and plentiful, and as before the staff were friendly and welcoming.
Can't wait for our next visit!

• Stayed: October 2011