Citi Hostels
US$ 196
US$ 161
US$ 156
  • Restaurant
Academy Plaza Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$ 174
US$ 158
US$ 186
US$ 155
Croke Park Hotel
Hotel St. George(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$ 153
US$ 140
  • Bar/Lounge
US$ 545
US$ 219
US$ 835
  • Pool
Grand Canal Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$ 174
US$ 170
US$ 247
US$ 242
  • Room Service
See what travellers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 September 2011

We stayed here (group of 3) for just one night in August 2011. When I paid up front they charged me in my local currency rather than Euros - without asking me! When hotels/hostels do this, their bank benefits from charging you a not very favourable conversion rate. It's generally better to go with your own bank's conversion rate. Plus, I pay $10 per month to have an account which doesn't charge any currency conversion fees, so this was doubly annoying! The receptionist didn't seem to know what I was talking about when I complained about this.

You need to pay a deposit for the keys, which is refunded when you check out. There are also towels available, with a €5 deposit, all but €1 of which gets refunded. We found that one of the two room keys didn't work, so they replaced it with another one. It was a bit concerning that the handle of our door seemed to be falling off (the separate lock was fine). We mentioned this to reception, but they didn't seem to care.

Breakfast was included, but the only things provided were milk, cornflakes, toast and instant coffee. So, I would advise going somewhere else for breakfast, unless you're on a really tight budget.

The beds in the room (bunk beds) were fine. The room was a decent size and wasn't too noisy. Although we had to keep the window open as the heaters were turned on (and we couldn't turn them off). This meant we were woken up by noise from the gym across the street.

The shower is one where you have to keep pushing a button every 20 seconds or thereabouts. You can't adjust the water temperature, which seemed to get hotter for each person having a shower. By the time my boyfriend (the last to shower) emerged he looked like a lobster as the water was so hot.

The location is quite good, lots of bars, like The Bleeding Horse, were quite close by. Although not so close that we could hear noise from them.

Judging from the people who turned up at breakfast, there seems to be quite a few middle-aged, elderly people staying here. We also saw one family with kids. So if you're looking for a youth hostel, this would not be the place to go.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Dandy33
Reviewed 22 June 2011

Stayed at this hostels for a couple of nights last weekend.
My friend and I booked a private room for 2 people and we got a room with 2 bunk beds, and small, small bathroom. This wouldn't be a problem, if the place was relatively clean. It wasn't. We went out and got antibacterial detergent for the bathroom and fabric cleaner for the bed. The linen had cigarette burns and looked slept in.

We did try to get other accomodation but nothing was available as there were a couple of concerts and the Street art festival in town and everything was fully booked.

Another problem was that in the middle of the night our door opened and a guy walked right in, he had a key and thought it was his room. It scared the crap out of us. He apologized and left. We asked at the reception the next morining. The lady told us that the guy was a long-term guest and he was supposed to leave the room the previous morning, but he didn't so they moved his stuff without telling hm. A receptionist was supposed to stop him before he went to his room to tell him he was moved out to a new room, but this obviously didn't happen, so he got into our room. The lady at the reception barely offered us an apology.

Personnel is another sore spot. They barely pay attention to whoever walks into the door (and for a place open 24/7 it may be a problem) and are not very nice. Rules (i.e. not running in corridors, eating in rooms, not disturbing other guests) are not enforced.

The Wi-Fi Internet connection was not available in our room, just in the lobby.

It's a pity that the hostel is not better cared for, because it has potential (it could be quirky, as the building is kind of strange, but right now it's just creepy) and it's in a really nice position (10/15 minute walk to Grafton St., lots of pub nearby).

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 27 May 2011

I stayed in one of the 4 person (2 bunk bed) rooms. The beds were relatively comfortable, allowing me to sleep very soundly. The location was very good as it was relatively close to bus stops, restaurants, shops and the main city centre. The only complaint that I would have about this hostel was the shower. It took about 15 minutes to get hot water and then what came out of the tap was a trickle of water rather than a shower of it. Another annoying thing was that you have to keep pressing a button in order to operate the shower, causing you to stop multiple times to turn the water back on. But overall, was a good place to stay for a couple of nights which was relatively cheap :)

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
Reviewed 22 May 2011

Stayed just for one night, I am not familiar with staying at Hostels, and so this was my first experience. Never again. Although the room was clean and the bedding looked okay, I was surprised that there was no soap in the en-suite, and when I asked at reception for some all they did was laugh. The bunks (twin bedded room) was not particular comfortable, with the springs of the mattress digging into parts of me I didn't realise had pain receptors! Also when checking out had to ask several times for my key deposit back, it appeared that the staff thought it should be a tip - for what I am still struggling to understand.

But on the upside, breakfast of cereal, toast and coffee was fine.

During the night the Garda obviously were very busy - 14 sirens during a two hour period during the early hours. The general road noise was loud/

Would I recommend this hostel to a friend - probably not.

Room Tip: Don't go there - book somewhere else
  • Stayed: May 2011
Reviewed 17 April 2011

My friends and I were travelling to Dublin for a gig which was being held at the Tripod nightclub. We arrived at the hostel, put all our bags in the room (private room for 4), and went to the chipper for something to eat. On arrival back at the hostel, we were dismayed and frustrated to realise that the lock in the door had stopped working and we couldn't gain access to the room (or all our bags!). Upon notifying the receptionist, he began to laugh. However, this was no laughing matter, as we all had to get ready for the gig. It was half 9 at this point. He said that he would call his friend to look at the door, and said we would be waiting a while, he gave no indication of when "his friend" would arrive. We were visibly upset at what had happened, and stressed to think we might not even make it to the gig. And the receptionist DIDN'T AT ANY TIME apologise for the inconvenience this had caused us.
"The friend" eventually arrived half an hour later..(we were on the terrace area of the hostel). He opened the door, but the receptionist never even told us that our room was open again. This information had to be sought out by ourselves.
When we attempted to gain access to the room the second time, we discovered the room would STILL NOT OPEN! Essentially, what they had done was to forcefully open the door, and then locked it again, without addressing the problem that the lock was actually broken. THEREFORE, DOING NOTHING AT ALL.
We eventually gained access a full hour later.

Upon arriving back to the hostel after the gig, we were confronted with a scene that would be fitting for a film! The receptionist was after attacking one of the guests, and there were members of the Gardaí Síochana interviewing people. (This was happening 4am!)

On the upside, the hostel has a fantastic location for gigs in the tripod, few seconds walk away. The room was satisfactory. And our group in total was a large number, and we received no noise complaints all night, even though we had roughly ten people in our room, and were playing music all night. (But this may have been due to the fact that the receptionist was probably busy with the Gardaí after his fight!!)

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled with friends