“Good, Convenient, Contemporary Hotel in Dublin” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane

Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane
Ranked #35 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Good, Convenient, Contemporary Hotel in Dublin”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Maldron Cardiff Lane for one night as part of a coach tour throughout Ireland in September 2012. We found the hotel to be very modern, with well-appointed rooms and good amenities for the price. The lounge/common areas were very nice and had free wi-fi (lobby area only). I heard the gym was nice but we were unable to use it due to limited operating hours. In terms of location, it appeared to be in the financial district of Dublin, only a few blocks from the waterfront/Thomas Beckett Bridge and about a 15 minute walk to the Temple Bar and Trinity College areas. We found the breakfast buffet to be very good, and the staff/service were also very good...we had an issue with our TV and had a technician to the room within 10-15 minutes.
I saw some other reviews knocking the size of the rooms and the amenities...I would say that the Maldron Cardiff Lane is pretty standard, if not above average, in terms of room size and amenities. It's a European hotel, and you're staying in Dublin, not a country club resort. I would certainly recommend this hotel based on the value for the location and the customer service.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Bosley02
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, 13 September 2012
Hello Bosley02,

Thank you for taking the time to review The Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I am delighted to see that you and yor husband enjoyed your recent stay with us. I will ensure that your positive feedback is passed on to the team here.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for your next trip back to Ireland
Conor O'Kane
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (540)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Belfast, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

I have stayed in the Maldron, Cardiff Lane on a number of occasions in the past. I have always been very happy with my experience there.

Strong points are: Friendly staff, big rooms that are well appointed and very clean, good pool and gym, good value.

The breakfast is good and plenty of choice but can be busy.

One downside is that there is no hotel parking and don't leave your car on the street at night. I believe hotel has a local arrangement but I have not used it so cannot comment.

Location of hotel is OK with a 15 minute walk to Grafton St. I lived in Dublin for 10 years so happy enough to walk around City but for less experienced visitors you might want to take a taxi.

Room Tip: Some rooms have large balconies so a good option in the summer.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank HMCIreland
Hello HMCIreland,

Thanks you for taking the time to review Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I am delighted to see that you enjoy your stay with us and I will ensure that your positive feedback is passed onto the different departments in the hotel.
I look forward to welcoming you back in the coming weeks for your next stay with us
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 September 2012

Admittedly am a spoiled Yank. Just FYI to other Americans who are accustomed to an American 4-star hotel. In this one, you won't get any of the little toiletries, a top sheet on your bed, a king-sized bed, or very good wifi service. The hallway rugs were dirty. The bathroom was teeny tiny. The free wifi was available only in some rooms. Our room was one of them, but the hotel's router was too busy to accommodate us. The restaurant service was slow. The brunch food was overcooked (as are most foods in Ireland, we soon discovered). The staff were very nice, but the lobby looks more like a 1987 Super 8 than a higher-end hotel. The bar area was nice, with some comfy places to sit, as was the restaurant area. The location is good for most things, especially since Dublin is pretty small. We walked to shopping locations, Trinity, Aviva, O2, St Stephens Green, and lots of pubs.

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank CosmopolitanCowgirl
Hello CosmopolitanCowgirl,
I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention in your review above. I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us here in The Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane.
Please accept my sincerest apologise that we did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I would be most grateful if you could call me on my mobile phone +353 87 968 2123 or alternatively e-mail me on gr.cardifflane@maldronhotels.com with more details as I would like to discuss this further with you.
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2012

Not the best stay but some pluses.

The biggest "plus" would be the size of the room
- we had a balcony - score!
- And it was pretty good location & decent price.
- They have a nice gym (but see the downside below re: the gym hours)

Downsides:

1. No Air Conditioning. Our neighbor was apparently a smoker so opening the balcony wasn't a great alternative a lot of the time.
2. Terrible Customer Service. For example, I'd been on the wait list to extend my stay a few days. When inquiring about it at the front desk several days in advance, they told me to "check when I'm checking out to see if something opened up". What the heck? So I can be homeless just in case there isn't an opening? That's the most absurd non-customer-focused response ever. This is just one example of bad customer service but there were other similar responses to questions we got throughout our stay.
3. Shower didn't work (only scalding hot water, eventually got it fixed)
4. Maid service was spotty (stuff like there was no way to request a sheets change, when we sent out for laundry there was no replacement sheet left behind )
5. the hotel shower products sucked. They were cheap and smelled like they were 100% for men.
6. Shower curtains are gross. period.
7. My key stopped working multiple times.
8. the gym has ABSURD hours. Like closing at 5:30/6 on a Sunday afternoon and not opening til late in the morning (for biz travellers).

• Stayed August 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Hello MonicaT1225,
I would like to thank you for bringing these issues to my attention in your review above. I am sorry to see you did not enjoy your stay with us here in The Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane.
Please accept my sincerest apologies as this is far from our regular high standard of Customer Care. I would be most grateful if you could call me on my mobile, +353 87 968 2123 as I would like to discuss this matter with you further.
Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 September 2012

I booked this as a treat for me and a few girls before gong back to school. Breakfast and use of the pool was included in the price too. The staff are so friendly and helpful,any question was dealt with promptly. The beds are comfortable(there were four of us, a double and two single beds). The room very clean and extra linen was brought up within 5 mins. We ordered room service as there is no restaurants in the area and we did not wish to walk into the city center. The meal was fantastic ,kids loved the pizza We all slept very well.This is often a bone of contention with me as the air can be awful in many hotels in this budget range but not here. Breakfast was very good,both continental and Irish offerings ,coffee good and strong. We were able to access wifi despite being told we would not be able to except downstairs. We used the pool in the morning .We were to leave at noon but I asked at the desk if we could leave at one instead ,no problem. For smokers there is a covered area outside the ground floor bar with tables and chairs outside which is great . I would go there again for sure. One of my guests might use it when going to a gig at the O2,as it is only a 10 min walk .

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank lemencass
conorokane, General Manager at Clayton Hotel Cardiff Lane, responded to this review, 5 September 2012
Hello Lemencass,

Thank you for taking the time to review Maldron Hotel Cardiff Lane. I am delighted to hear that you and your group of friends enjoyed your recent stay with us. I will ensure that your comments are passed onto all departments as I am sure they will be delighted to see such positive feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back in the near future for your next trip.