“Lazy Service, Poor Location”

Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel
Ranked #71 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Orlando, Florida
“Lazy Service, Poor Location”
Reviewed 24 April 2012

This hotel actually located a couple of miles from Dublin airport in what is regarded by the locals as a pretty bad area of north county Dublin. A fairly frequent airport shuttle service is available.

I have stayed at this hotel a number of times over the last few years and will continue to stay there because of its location which happens to suit me. However, I have to agree with what another reviewer has said, some of the staff are lazy and come close to being downright rude. In particular, the female staff at the front desk are slow moving and less than friendly. The male staff there seem to be much more professional. I no longer bother going into the bar because of the slow service there.

The rooms are modern, good sized and everything worked except for one of the water control knobs on the shower unit - It came off in my hand. Unfortunately the builtin desk is poorly designed and leaves you with little actual functional workspace if you need to use a laptop.

Internet service is 5 euro a night (free for gold and upwords HH members) and car park is 5 euro a night. You need to get there fairly early if you want a space in the car park as they seem to fill up quickly.

Room Tip: Pick a room on a higher floor away from the lifts. The lifts have an audio announciator in them...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank alkonost45
Eva S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 26 April 2012
Dear alkonost45,

I wish to thank you for your feedback on your stays with us here in Hilton Dublin Airport. It is only through honest and genuie feedback from guests like you that we achieve the standards offered to our guests.

I can assure you the service issues you have highlighted will be addressed and your comments are already being used in the continuous training all our team undergo on a daily basis to ensure we are consistenly meeting and exceeding our standards and levels of service.

Thank you again for taking the time to highlight what we need to do in order to retain you as a loyal guest.

Yours sincerely,

Hilton Dublin Airport
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (271)
  • Polish first
Ennis, Co Clare
Reviewed 24 April 2012

Chose this hotel for its proximity to the Airport and Helix as I was attending an event there and stayed with my husband and mother.

I was pleasantly surprised by just how friendly the welcome was along with the efficiently of checkin.

Rooms were ready early and we got settled - room was spotless and well appointed with everything you would need, safe, minibar, tea/coffee, air conditioning, alarm with MP3 connection and, as my husband described, the best hotel TV he'd come across in terms of choice of channel/radio.

We enjoyed a relaxing drink before going into the city for the afternoon in front of a lovely fire and were served by an incredibly charming and helpful waitress, Anita - she couldn't have been more helpful.

Unlike many bar areas in airport/business hotels, this one was comfortable, relaxing and cosy.
Bar prices were only a little over the average for Ireland €5.50 glass wine for example.
That evening after returning we enjoyed a drink and there was live music which was nice and the bar was packed, really full of atmosphere.

Breakfast the next was lovely - a self service buffet with great choice and very fresh, with gorgeous fresh orange juice and coffee.

We ate in the restaurant that evening (an early bird) and the food was really delicious - fresh incredients and tasty - massive portions! The only downside was a large family party was leaving (for nearly 40 mins!) and they had a lot of small children with them who were treating the restaurant like a playground, running around and screaming - with the parents ignoring them. This spoilt our meal slightly - but its quite common in Ireland for this to happen unfortunately and the house manager probably felt they were in the process of leaving so didn't say anything.

We needed to organise taxis a couple of times and reception was really on the ball and the free shuttle service to the airport was efficient and very friendly.

The only small criticism about the room was the shower temperature was a 'little' erratic but otherwise fine.

Other things to note: parking €5 per night, free wifi, fitness suite, taxi to city centre €15

Room Tip: weekends there is music in the bar until 11:30 - so if you're in need of early night ask for a h...
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Eva S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 25 April 2012
Dear ClareA73,

Thank you for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.

We are honoured to read your positive feedback regarding our services and the hotel staff. I am glad you managed to check in early and also enjoyed our dining facilities. Please rest assured that I will share your compliments with the Management team, they will be delighted to hear about your great experience with us.

We really do hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back to the Hilton Dublin Airport and thank you again for leaving a review of us on Tripadvisor!

With warm regards,

Cork
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Stayed here the night before a trip to Norway in March. The hotel provides a courtesy bus to and from the airport, and the incredibly helpful, friendly driver set the tone of the hotel service from the start. The room was spacious and comfortable, as was the bed. Breakfast was generous with plentiful juice and coffee, friendly and helpful staff more than happy to be of assistance.
The absolute piece de resistance: three weeks later after returning from Norway and realising that I must have left a nightdress in the Hilton, I phoned the hotel and the room service staff arranged to post the item to my home address!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
Dear wheretonextCork,

First of all thank you very much for posting a review on Tripadvisor.

I couldn't be happier reading your comments. Thank you very much for your praising words, it is highly appreciated! I am delighted that our room service staff helped you out and you found our hotel staff generally always very friendly.

I hope next time when you are in Dublin you are going to stay with us again. We very much looking forward to welcoming you back!

Thank you again for your review!

Kind Regards,

london
Reviewed 23 April 2012

This Hilton is one star short of being excellent for two reasons:

1. The rudeness of a female Filipino server in the bar. I was staying overnight before flying to London the next day and took the opportunity to meet with an old friend for a drink. He was driving and ordered a bottle of water. She asked if he wanted a large or small bottle. He opted for large but when it arrived it was HUGE. He asked her politely to change it for a small one and her reaction was shocking. A look of anger on her face, not a word spoken in response, and then she stormed to the bar to exchange it. Before slamming it down on the table.

2. The bed. Worst in my Hilton experience. I was upgraded to a Deluxe room as a Gold HHonors member but the matress was dreadful. It felt like the cheapest money could buy. That was bearable. What wasn't was the fact that the beds are on wheels. Good for housekeeping but not for hotel guests who want to sit up in bed watching TV. The bed slides across the floor in the direction of the television and the only way to deal with it is to get out of bed and watch from a chair.

I brought this latter point to the attention of the Night Manager who explained that many other guests had similarly complained and they were due to be replaced. My only question was and still is: why on earth couldn't somebody foresee a problem like that before wasting money and spoiling a bedroom that was Deluxe in every other respect? A bed is basic.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank LondonKairos
Chicago, IL
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Location - The Hilton advertises itself as an airport hotel, however it isn't located at the airport. I don't have a problem with this as an avid traveler who is often in airport hotels. It's very common to locate off-site and then use a shuttle to transport guests. I was able to get to the airport in the AM without much hassle by signing up for a shuttle time that worked within my schedule. The trip from the airport to the hotel takes about 5-10 minutes. I do agree with other posters that this hotel is difficult to locate without specific instructions though. I took a cab from the Radisson Blu Royal in Dublin to this location and the cab driver could not locate the property despite calling for directions. After wandering around for awhile, we finally located the hotel and the cab driver apologized for the fare and offered me a 20 Euro discount since he ended up having to meander the area around the hotel.

Service - I was not happy with the service provided by the front desk staff when I checked. After getting out of the cab, I discovered that the revolving door into the hotel lobby was not working. I told the desk agent about the issue and she simply shrugged and said "Sometimes kids play with it and it automatically shuts down." I thought, "Well, shouldn't someone turn it back on instead of making guests with luggage go around to the side door where they'll have to pull luggage and open doors like a Russian gymnast?" Check in was processed easily until I was asked to select a time for a shuttle ride to the airport in the AM. I didn't know of the top of my head what time my flight was leaving, so I said I needed to use the wifi in my room to open my email and take a look at my reservation before answering. The desk agent said that was fine and handed me my key for my room. Upstairs I quickly discovered that the hotel internet is only accessible if you get a code from the front desk. I had told the desk agent that I needed to use the wifi, but she didn't offer at all to provide me with the access code. I had to head back down to the desk, get the access card, go back to my room where you scratch off a card to see your individual code, then read my email, and then finally go back down again to the front desk to get a shuttle time. Poor service from the agent who could have simply said, "You'll need this to get online, let's get it taken care of to save you a trip."

Room - The room is standard airport hotel quality with the exception of the bed. I wasn't expecting something so hard, so after my ordeal with the front desk agent when I returned to the room I let myself fall into the bed only to feel as if I had dropped onto the floor. The mattress is extremely firm, probably one of the firmest mattresses I've slept on outside of hostel accommodations in India. I didn't sleep very well on it, and ended up with a stiff back for my 8 hour flight back to the US.

Food - Since there is very little going on around the hotel, I ended up using the room service to have dinner that night. This is the one area where I actually thought the Hilton provided good service. My food was delivered promptly and without any errors. I had the beef curry with rice, peppermint tea, and a sticky toffee pudding. The curry was flavorful, the tea was hot, and the pudding was very sweet and tasty. I wouldn't hesitate to order food again at this property.

Overall - Not pleased at all with this property, and I hardly think it's doing Hilton any favors with the branding. I felt the quality and service here was not of the standard a brand like Hilton should be offering. Considering what a fantastic stay I had with the Radisson Blu Royal in the city centre in Dublin, my next airport stay near Dublin will use the airport Radisson property to see if it's any better.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank ORD2Anywhere81
Eva S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear leorawrs81,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review on Tripadvisor.

I would like to apologise for any issues you had during your stay, this is not the impression we would like our guests to take away. Please rest assured we have spoken to the managers regarding your comments.This is certainly not the level of service we continuously strive to provide at the Hilton Dublin Airport.

I am glad you enjoyed our room service and hope you would consider us in the future to see the improvements that have been made.

Again thank you for taking the time to review us, all feedback is greatly appreciated.

Hope you had a safe journey home and we very much hope to see you back in the future!

Kind Regards,

Hilton Dublin Airport
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
4.4 km away
4.5 km away
Maldron Hotel Dublin Airport
2.7 km away
Clayton Hotel Dublin Airport

Been to Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK