New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel
Ranked #67 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersSilver level
Geneva
“Would you call this an "airport" hotel?”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012

Having booked a plane leaving Dublin at 6:50 am, I also looked for an airport hotel to stay the night before. In the past, we had been staying at the Clarion (which is in the airport compound) but the rooms were really poor. So I decided to go for the Hilton, a hotel chain that I like and that we have often chosen in other locations before. The website says: "5 minutes from the Airport", and of course, does not say "5 minutes from the airport by a car driven by someone who knows the place, and who knows how not to get lost on the motorway, national road roundabouts etc." On the phone, I was also said that there was a shuttle from the airport, and again, nobody said that the shuttle was only running twice an hour...
The result for us was the following: we tried to find the place with our rented car, we couldn't, even with the map available on the hotel website. So we decided to go to the airport first, leave the car at the car rental return and then look for the hotel shuttle. At that point it was 8:20 pm. We took the car rental shuttle to the airport, which left us in front of terminal 2. There, nobody was able to tell us from where the shuttle departed. After a lot of searching and questioning and walking around - me, my 16 year old daughter, my two little children and our enormous luggage - we finally found the shuttle stop. There, a time schedule informed us that we had to wait about 40 minutes for the next shuttle, as we had just missed one. It was 8:45 pm, and we waited there in the cold. We were lucky that an air crew arrived and magically the shuttle appeared ahead of schedule! I guess it came for the crew, but kindly picked us up, too. We finally arrived at the hotel and checked in, and were in our room at 9:15 pm. The room was nice, the beds comfortable, even if our bed sheet had a suspicious, very sticky yellow stain. Since it was so late by now, and we had to leave to the airport with the shuttle of 4:30 am, we decided to eat in the hotel. Disaster. After having being given a table at the bar, far far away from the bar counter, we were forgotten there, and our attempts to get a waiter were vain. So we decided to leave the bar and go for room service – at least we could prepare the kids for bed, while waiting for our dinner. The price of the dinner was quite outrageous, 2/3 of the price of the hotel room, and all we took were two fish&chips, one soup, one salad and one hamburger!!! No wine, no drinks! Altogether, we could not be in bed before 10:30 pm – thinking that I had taken an airport hotel to save time and sleep a bit longer!!!
At 4:10 am, when we got to the lobby for check out, a host – visibly drunk – was screaming to his supposed taxi driver because he did not want to pay the taxi fare. My little ones were quite frightened (but I suppose this is not the fault of the hotel…). I asked for a receipt of the stay, and all I got was a print out of the requested payment. The gentleman at the reception told me not to worry, that the card would be charged accordingly. Well I hope so…
Next time, I will look for a hotel REALLY inside the airport….

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Eva S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 20 April 2012
Dear AleG219,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor. We really appreciate your feedback and we are grateful for highlighting areas which you feel need improvement. I sincerely regret any disappointment you have encountered during your stay and please rest assured that I have passed on your comments to the relevant department heads.

I can assure you that this is not the level of service that we continuously strive to provide at the hotel and i am very sorry that on this occasion our usual standard as well as your expectations were not met.

I hope your unsatisfactory experience has not marred your opinion of the Hilton Dublin Airport in any way. We do hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future. Please contact me directly when planing your next visit to Dublin and I will be delighted to assist you.

Kind Regards,

Hilton Dublin Airport
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Polish first
Munich
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 April 2012 via mobile

Clean well appointed rooms. Our only critism was that the bed was not as comfortable as we would have liked. Lovely fresh comfortable pillows and white fluffy towels. I only mention the towels and pillows as we had experience of 4 other 4 star hotels during our visit to Ireland which made me realise that I had taken these items for granted in the Hilton, as they were not of the same standard elsewhere.
Most of the staff were friendly and welcoming.
Breakfast was good and sausages really tasty. However, tables were full of dirty dishes which made it difficult to find somewhere to sit. The breakfast room was large and only six tables were occupied when we arrived. Ample staff were available but not all were working. One young waitress seemed to be getting a raw deal as her older colleague had the gift of the gab but appeared work shy. This situation only slightly affected our breakfast experience as we struggled to find space on the small table to put cereal bowls so that we could enjoy our cooked breakfast. Perhaps some staff training could help staff to understand the importance of removal of used crockery.
Negative aspects:
no free WIFI
A good distance from the city centre (if that is what you are looking for).
The free shuttle bus from the airport is not signposted for the Hilton but is for many other hotels. When we mentioned this to the receptionist she said that there is a big sign at bus stop 14. She didn't seem to understand that the people need to first of all be aware that the bus leaves from an area adjacent to stand 14. We arrived late so no one was at the information desk. This could be a problem for those with language barriers but could be easily remedied with a sign or information on booking.

Stayed April 2012
Eva S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 19 April 2012
Dear GrannyMunich,

Thank you very much for posting a review on Tripadvisor.

Your observations and opinions are appreciated, as they enable us to assess the standard of our facilities and services and monitor if we are meeting our guests needs and expectations.

I am glad to read that you find our location convenient and you feel we are a good value hotel, thank you for that.

I sincerely regret any disappointment you might have experienced with the shuttle service and during your dining experience! Please rest assured that your feedback has been forwarded to the relevant department heads for further investigation and action.

I hope you will allow us the opportunity to welcome you back at the Hilton Dublin Airport and thank you again for your valued feedback!

Kindest Regards,

Cheshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

We decided to spend a weekend away in Dublin over Easter. We arrived at Dublin airport and were aware of the free shuttle bus laid on by the hotel. We got to the shuttle bus point and after a short wait we were greated by a really friendly pint sized laughing irishman. We were taken to the hotel and assisted wigth luggage, although we didnt have very much.

Upon arrival at the hotel, the exterior looks really modern and new. We entered the hotel and awaited checkin. After a 10-15 min wait we checked in really easily and went to our room.

The room was very pleasant, clean and had a nice bathroom. I can have no complaints about the room at all and the price for the hotel was superb.

We did plenty of siteseeing in Dublin centre and a that takes you into the cntre of Dublin is available just across the road. This costs about £2.50 each and they run until 11.30 at night so a great service. If you miss the last bus expect to pay around 20 euros for a taxi back and be prepared for really funny joke telling taxi drivers.

Checkout was really easy and again the free shuttlebus was laid on after we had booked it. The service was really good, lending me an umbrella for the Dublin rain and also when my girlfriend requested some more biscuits and water these were delivered very promptly.

All in all a really good hotel, if your doing Dublin on a budget and don't mind having to get the bus in / out this is a really cost effective option. Next time i'm in dublin I will stay here.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ian W
Dear Ian W,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us on Tripadvisor!

I am more than happy to read your comments and thank you for choosing us to stay over Easter! I am delighted you enjoyed our free shuttle bus services and our "friendly pint sized" driver's friendliness. We receive plenty of positive comments about him and I am glad that you and your partner enjoyed his hospitality! Thank you for complimenting on our rooms and I am glad that the check-in and the check-out procedure went all smoothly for you!I am also happy to hear that our staff looked so well after you both by providing umbrella or some extra biscuits.

Thank you for considering coming back to us, we very much looking forward to see you and your girlfriend back at the Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel!

Warm regards,

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 April 2012

Wouldn't stay here again,
Having booked a table for 2 in the restaurant we made our way to the restaurant host where we were told that we would be better to eat in the bar as they were too busy. (there were about 8 or 9 people in the restaurant)
The service in the bar was a disgrace. one barman who in fairness was doing very well to manage on his own but the floor staff were terrible. we waited for just under an hour for the food and I eventually just went to the bar for my own drink.
The bedroom was so hot there was not a chance of being able to sleep. The AC was set at it lowest which was 19deg C but to be honest it felt more like 25.
The only good point is that it didn't cost us too much to learn a lesson and never go back.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear Gyneco,

First of all thank you kindly for taking the time to post a review on Tripadvisor.

I am certainly disappointed that your stay was not exactly as it could have been. Please let me take this opporuntity to apologise for any inconvenience caused during your stay. I have passed your feedback to the relevant departments to ensure similar situations will not repeat in the future.

I hope you will give us an opportunity to make it right for you next time you need a hotel at Dublin airport !

Yours sincerely,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 April 2012

Staff very friendly. Rooms very spacious and bed comfortable. Hilton toiletries much better than other chain hotels.
Pleasant one nighter. Will use it again.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank attie1000
Eva S, Guest Relations Manager at Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel, responded to this review, 18 April 2012
Dear Attie1000,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review.

I was absolutely thrilled to read your comments. I am glad you enjoyed our room and the amenities and mostly thank you for complimenting on our staff! We always try to do our very best to ensure quality and guest satisfaction and we very much like to receive positive feedback.

We are delighted to see that you are considering coming back to stay with us in the future!

Thank you again for your feedback!

Kindest regards,

Hilton Dublin Airport
Also consider these accommodations in or near Dublin
4.3 km away
#28 of 150 in Dublin
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,634 reviews
5.6 km away
Travelodge Dublin Airport South Hotel

Been to Hilton Dublin Airport Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK