“Good pub for lunch, customer service not the best”

O'Neills Victorian Pub
Ranked #313 of 2,937 Restaurants in Dublin
Price range: US$ 6 - US$ 23
Cuisines: Irish
Good for: Local cuisine, Bar Scene
Description: Our mission is to serve great traditional Irish pub food & drinks with love and passion. We use local producers who supply us with the freshest of ingredients straight from the marketplace. We serve fantastic Beer Battered Fish & Chips which we are told are the best in Dublin, our Rib Eye Steaks with herb butter are just sublime and our freshly made chowders, pies, burgers and salads are real winners too. So why not come and try for yourself and while you are at it you can sample from our range of Irish and international craft beers or treat yourself to a great Irish whiskey.
Reviewed 11 November 2018

A friend and I on vacation in Dublin were introduced to O'Neill's pub on a pub crawl tour. It was a hopping place. Love the interior and at the time it was decorated for Halloween. We noted that O'Neills had a buffet restaurant component so we went back the next day for lunch. We had a very late lunch (3:00 pm) but the place was still full of people. I was able to secure a table right away, though. However, you may want to plan ahead for a crowd if you plan to eat/drink there. We went through the buffet at which you could choose among several entrees or traditional Irish meats that were being freshly carved. Then, you were able to choose among a number of side dishes. All in all, you can get a good amount of tasty food for a very reasonable price. I chose the beef and Guinness pie, some roasted potatoes, and green beans. It was delicious. My friend had a stuffed chicken breast and assorted sides; she also cleaned her plate. My experienced downside is that there appeared to be very few staff members circulating and no one would make eye contact with me when I sat down to get oriented, not even a staff member who cleared a table two feet from us. I did not know if someone would take our drink order or how to proceed. I finally made contact with a staff member and learned you must go to the main bar to order your drinks. I had to work to get attention at the bar as well. Therefore, I have rated 4 stars instead of 5.

Reviewed 9 November 2018

Attractive Victorian pub in a good location, close to Molly Malone statue which was recommended to us by our taxi driver. The system for ordering food is incomprehensible, and my friend was told to queue in 3 different places before our order was placed successfully. Three of us wanted the belly pork stuffed with black pudding, and one wanted the beef wellington. Although it was only 6.30pm on a Monday evening, none of these choices was available. Why?? We re-ordered and were asked whether we wanted the meals served at the same time so that all 4 of us could eat together. The answer was an emphatic yes! 2 meals appeared quickly, but the 2 fish pies did not. The waiter said they would come in 10 minutes. We weren't happy about it, but didn't make a fuss and the men began to eat their food while it was hot. The fish pies were not with us 30 minutes later, so we spoke to the waiter who beetled off to enquire. It was a full 50 minutes after the first 2 meals came out that the fish pies arrived. They were very good, it has to be said, but my husband's meal of beef was not. He's not usually given to complaining, but found this to be the worst food he had been served in many a year. The beef was completely dry and he left most of his meal. We asked the passing waiter to summon the manager. No manager appeared, so after about 45 minutes, during which time we refused to let the waiting staff clear the plate away, we demanded to see the manager again. A jolly Irish woman eventually appeared and we told her how disappointed we were not to eat together and about the awful long wait we'd had. She didn't make much comment but when we asked for a refund for my husband's terrible food, she agreed. There are lots of good pubs to eat in in Dublin, but this isn't one of them. I guess we should have known that with a menu so VAST, the food wasn't going to be good quality.

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

After a full day of crowd touring, we wanted a short walk from The Trinity Hotel ... this was it. Cozy atmosphere - we sat in a small dining room with a cozy fire on the hearth. I loved the lamb shank (basically Irish stew with a bone) and Clio thought her traditional Irish stew was better. A glass of Jameson and a guinness washed it down

Reviewed 14 October 2018 via mobile

We've just left after sacking off lunch. We tried to order something to eat and instead were treated to a masterclass in ignorance and bad customer service. The barman does a great line in indifference, and woe betide you if you dare to ask for an Irish coffee. If you fancy being barked at by staff who clearly hate life then go for it, or you can bimble off over the road to the VAT bar and have a lovely chowder and cheese board. Which is what we did.

Reviewed 11 October 2018

A bit touristy, but beautiful music upstairs every night, and we saw Irish Dancers the night we were there as well. Good pub food.