“Very poor service, food ok”
Review of Roast Restaurant - CLOSED

Roast Restaurant
Price range: US$ 11 - US$ 34
Cuisines: European, Steakhouse
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Description: Modern Irish cuisine in the heart of Ballsbridge, convenient to the RDS & Aviva Stadium and close the Intercontinental, Bewleys, Herbert Park and Ballsbridge hotels. We also serve a full bar menu in Crowe's Pub downstairs.
Reviewed 28 October 2015

We (a group of 7) went midweek. Restaurant wasn't very busy when we arrived, I think maybe 3 other tables. Our booking was for 8pm, and despite us arriving on time our order wasn't taken until close to 8.30. Our waiter got very confused when taking the order (as some of us were not getting starters) and actually left the table halfway through before coming back 5 mins later and starting again. After this there was another nearly 30 mins wait for the starters, followed by a 20 minute wait for the table to be cleared. Again, another long wait (40 mins) for the main course to be brought out. Some of our group didn't get starters, so to have to wait over an hour and a half since arrving to get food had us all very grumpy. Anyway, we were ready to leave after this, but as half the group were getting the 5 course menu and dessert was included we stuck around. It took us ages to get the waiters attention to actually order the desserts, despite us being the only table left in the restaurant (they seemed to be hanging out in the kitchen and having a great time by the sounds coming from the back). I had to go up and nearly behind the bar to get a menu. Again, another (shorter) wait for the food. Dessert had just been put in front of us when the waiter came over, apologised that he would have to rush us as they were closing!! I genuinely didn't know whether to be furious or burst out laughing. The only reason we were still in the restaurant just about to start dessert 3 hours later was due to their terrible service and there they were rushing us.
Food was ok, some of it was good but nothing amazing, and definitely nothing that could in any way make up for the terrible service.

Reviewed 19 October 2015

Went for the 5 course option.
Cant fault the place as the food was excellent. The reviews here seem to be quite mixed however I found the staff extremely friendly and quick to our needs.
I had duo of chicken for mains and my girlfriend had the beef rib. All very well cooked and presented.
I should note that we paid cash so didnt notice the issue with the card machine.
The food is great. The staff were quick to clean our table and get me the bill so I cant fault them.
I had a great Friday night and around the area is a nice few pubs too.
Will be back.

Reviewed 14 October 2015

After reading all the other reviews I seem to be giving the exact same review as everyone else. Very poor service, fire alarm went off and card machine didn't work. I'm at a loss as to why this restaurant cant fix these issues which are complained about over and over again. Anyway we went here for the 5 course menu mid week. Restaurant was not busy and there were 2 staff members on. Staff lack training and do not know how to run a dinner service. They are prioritizing tasks that should be done when they have free time over serving paying customers. Such as cleaning empty tables, polishing glasses etc. The vibe is very laid back and I don't mind that but the customer should set the pace and if we are finished a course I don't expect the dirty plate to remain in front of me for 20 mins. By the end of the night I had lost my patience as the restaurant was empty and I still couldn't seem to get the full attention of the 2 waiting staff who seemed to be constantly stuck hanging around the bar. I would also like to point out that while we were there 1 table beside us left as they were waiting an hour for their dinner and the staff then told them they had lost their order and would they mind telling them what they wanted again!! Another table had to physically walk up and ask and pay for their bill. At this stage there were only 3 tables left in the restaurant. All either finished or on dessert. We wont be returning which is such a shame as the food is very good but I couldn't go through a painful service like that again.

Reviewed 13 October 2015

Location was what drew us to the Roast as we were staying at the Intercontinental Dublin. A bit pricey, but food was good. When we arrived, the place was empty, but the Hostess asked if we had a "reservation"..we did not but were seated immediately, so felt she was a bit snooty.

Reviewed 9 October 2015

Went on groupon deal and food was excellent. They were busy so service could have been a bit more attentive but overall a great spot with great food.