“Terrible”

O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse
Ranked #7 of 150 Dublin B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 April 2012

Avoid this place. The windows don't have double glazing so it sounds like the trucks are driving through your room all night. The brothers are surly and seem to hate their customers. All together a very unpleasant experience.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank inkcartoons
Gerry N, Manager at O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 22 September 2012

I am very sorry your stay with us was not to your satisfaction, however I must point out that our windows do have double glazing however we are a heritage listed building which prevents us from changing our up/down wooden sash windows with the more modern plastic ones. We could however have moved this reviewer to a quieter room away from the traffic, if asked. I do not remember this reviewer because he/she did not bring his/her gripes to my attention but I do know that his/her personal comments about our family are at odds with the opinion of the vast majority of the guests who have enjoyed their stay here.

Reviewed 10 February 2012

This was our first time staying at a pub B&B. It was an interesting experience as you get your own keys to go in and out, but there was virtually no one around to ask for help unless you call. We struggled to get our heavy luggage up as there was no lift, and also had trouble with intermittent internet access as we stayed at the top floor (which was really cold even though it was September).

Some review mentioned excellent breakfast but our room rate did not come with breakfast, hence no comments on this. I felt that the rooms were succint for the price we paid but we would like to try other B&Bs in Dublin when we go back next.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 7 January 2012

We loved staying above a pub! The proximity to be able to walk everywhere in Dublin was great. Our room was very spacious and clean and we were given free internet access. Breakfast was reasonable. The food in the pub was also good. It was a noisy place to stay with the elevated train running early in the morning and it being above a city street - perhaps try and request a room that is not on the street side but being on the first floor was good for us with only one flight of stairs to cart luggage. Helpful service at check in.

Room Tip: Street side is noisy.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sheridan224
Reviewed 7 January 2012

I'd love to be able to tell you about the nice room, good breakfast and excellent atmosphere but unfortunately I won't be able to because despite booking in plenty of time, I won't be staying there. I booked my room and was looking forward to my trip until I got an e-mail a couple of days later effectively cancelling my booking. Apparently, they only accept two night bookings on weekends. Fine, no problem, except it isn't mentioned anywhere on the website. None of the booking websites mention it and all of them will allow you to book a single night. A cynical person would suspect that maybe someone noticed that it was a rugby weekend.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Welshrugbyfan99
Gerry N, Owner at O'Neills Victorian Pub & Townhouse, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2012

Thank you for your review, in line with a lot of Dublin's hotels we do have a two night minimum stay on a few of the busier weekends, We offered very competitive rates for that rugby weekend but only for guests who were prepared to stay a minimum of two nights. From my recollection the reviewer had initially booked two nights but later sought to cancel one of them which were contrary to our booking conditions. When this was pointed out to them they stated that they did not wish to stay 2 nights, so they had to cancel . We are sorry that the reviewer did not see our point of view on this and hope they might return and sample our hospitality in the future. We are still somehow perplexed as to how this reviewer can rate our facilities without first staying here

Reviewed 1 January 2012

I stayed at O'Neills for 10 nights in September 2010 and it will be my first choice when I go back to Dublin. Yes, the rooms face a busy city street. If that is a problem for you, I suggest ear plugs. Checking in was a little confusing since the bar is not always open and there is no reception. (Fortunately, some men were painting the outside of the pub and they were able to call the manager and he came right away. If you travel with a cell phone [unlike me], you shouldn't have an issue.) Why is O'Neill's so great? The price of 40 euro per night (including breakfast) can't be beat. Even if it is more now, it's still worth it. And the location is perfect. You are just behind the Trinity campus and a short walk away to everything in central Dublin. The rooms are spacious, clean, comfortable and charming. And there is a really tasty, full breakfast served by lovely, friendly international students. Budget travellers--or even middle of the road comfort travellers who aren't overly persnickety--will enjoy Dublin with O'Neills as their homebase.

Room Tip: Rooms on the main street have more traffic noise but a room on the side/back had kitchen smells in t...
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled solo