“Overrated, overpriced but comfortable clean beds in a good location”

Generator Hostel Dublin
Ranked #3 of 122 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
Reviewed 6 June 2012

To be honest having read other reviews I was disappointed. This is a large hostel which seems to be run for profit more than anything else. The showers, rooms and shared areas were reasonable, clean and functional but like the staff, nothing special. I paid 16 euros a night and you can get cheaper hostel accommodation in Dublin with more perks included. The room I was in was spacious and clean, with good luggage storage, comfortable beds and handy plug sockets and lights by each bed. However if your room doesn't have ensuite facilities you may have to walk to another floor for a shower. There are no free internet terminals or breakfast and laundry is 7euros but the luggage storage in the basement is free.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank jazzeejessie
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 15 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your recent review on the Generator Dublin.

We were disappointed to hear that you were not satisfied with your stay. However, I would like to point out that although our Breakfast is €4 we do have a wide range of items in a buffet style. We do charge a small fee for Internet usage but we offer free wifi to all our guests.

Again, thank you for taking the time to pass on your comments.

Operations Manager

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

It might just be because its Dublin, or because the last time I booked with Generator I was with friends in a private room, but I didn't get much sleep during my stay here and I was a bit disappointed! I was in an 8 bed room, and even though not all the beds were full, the other guests came back loud and drunk in the middle of the night. The bar downstairs seemed to be filled with a strange mixture of people - I saw young kids (including a baby) and older folks. It seems that Generator is great if you are traveling with friends, but it was a little strange as a single traveler. That being said, it is very clean and trendy looking. The lockers under the bed are very big (but bring your own lock!)! Its right next to the tram stop (but everything is walking distance), and literally right next door to the Jameson Distillery. The wifi is free, and the staff are friendly and helpful (although since the hostel is pretty large, I often found myself waiting to be helped). Word of warning: the dryers are not the best! I washed my cloths at the laundry in Generator, but even after a long dry cycle they were still damp - traveling/sleeping in wet clothing is not fun! Its not a terrible place to stay, but if I'm back by myself in Dublin I would probably pick a quieter/smaller place to stay.

Room Tip: If you can book a private room or have an almost full dorm room with friends, do it!
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank SnappleSpice

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Generator Hostel Dublin. We welcome all your comments and will share them with the team here.

Hope to see you back again in the near future.

Reviewed 4 June 2012

The service was friendly and efficient, the rooms comfortable, the beds heavenly.
I wish I'd understood that breakfast was not included in my tariff before I got there.

I appreciated being nable to sleep in a women-only dorm and having an ensuite bathroom, although the latter is not essential (as long as the bathroom is not unisex)

My only suggestion is that the shower stalls be cleaned every month or so with a dilute bleach mixture to kill the mold. Apart from this, the bathrooms were pristine, and the mold in the showers makes it look tacky and unhygienic.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Bluehat28
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 6 June 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to post a review on your recent stay here at Generator Dublin. We were delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay.

Our Housekeeping department is aware of the issue in the showers and all should be recitfied within a very short period.

Hope to welcome you back to Generator Dublin in the near future.

Reviewed 31 May 2012

Beautiful hostel, very convenient location, 5 mins by tram to O'Connell street, 10 by bus to College Green/Grafton Street. Bit strange that it isn't allowed to bring your own drinks. Comfy beds. Bathrooms are all located at same floor. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Zwolle123

Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review the Dublin Generator. We were delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay and found the location central.

Our house rules do state that there is no alcohol allowed in the hostel for security reasons. However, we do open our Hostel bar every evening at 17:30 till late.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed 29 May 2012

I stayed here for a stag weekend recently. Although I was very unsure about staying in a hostel, I have to say I was very impressive with the place. Rooms were clean and comfortable, as was the shower room. The only down side to the rom was that it was a little warm as the window was so small and no AC.

The bar and reception area was impressive and the staff were excellent and very helpful. Perfect place to stay for a stag weekend.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank neil-amy
Generator_Dublin, Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this reviewResponded 1 June 2012

Dear Neil,

Thank you for your recent review on the Generator Dublin.

We are delighted to hear that you and your party enjoyed your stay and you found our staff helpful.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review and hope to see you again in the near future.