“A hostel that's more like a hotel”

Generator Hostel Dublin
Ranked #5 of 106 Speciality Lodging in Dublin
London, United Kingdom
“A hostel that's more like a hotel”
Reviewed 20 March 2012

Great place although, as it is such a large hostel, you miss the home comforts that smaller hostels provide - like being able to help yourself to a glass of water without having to pay for it etc.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Generator_Dublin, General Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, 26 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thanks for taking the time to complete a review on your recent stay at Generator Hostel Dublin I am really glad you enjoyed your stay.

Thanks again for taking the time and hopefully we can welcome you back in the very near future.

Tom Devaney
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (174)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed 18 March 2012

I was in Dublin for the Six Nations rugby with mates.

Easily one of the swankiest hostels I have ever stayed in. Everything is designed for ease of backpackers but done stylishly and well. Nice rooms and bathrooms with good locked cages for stuff. The beds had plugs and lights.

The common area had a nice bar, free wifi, a snack bar and helpful friendly staff. I was actually about to board the plane when I found out I had won a bid for a flat. I had to organise a mortgage and the staff allowed me to call a UK call centre for over an hour for free. I was little stressed and they were super helpful and understanding.

If I went back to Dublin to stay in a hostel, I would choose his one!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Generator_Dublin, General Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, 19 March 2012
Dear Guest

Thanks for the nice comments about the team i am delighted they were able to assist you.

Cracow, Malopolskie, Poland
Reviewed 16 March 2012

Unfortunately I've bought a voucher for this place and now I sincerely regret it. I was going to visit Dublin this weekend but I had a tragic family situation and couldn't leave my family. I contacted Generator stuff to ask them to postpone my travel arrangements. I work in hotel industry in Poland and believe me, if this kind of situation occurs we always look for the best interest of our guest. Especially if they pay in advance. Unfortunately that does not apply to this place. I don't think I'll ever think of choosing one of Generator's which are spreading all over Europe.

2 Thank modest22
Dear Guest

Thanks for completing a review on your recent experience with one of the team here at Generator Dublin, I am really sorry your experience was so poor.

Could you please contact me via email tom.devaney@generatorhostels.com and I will resolve this matter directly with you.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Kemare
Reviewed 14 March 2012

Architecturally the hostel is very nice, the entrance lobby and connecting spaces are very enjoyable with a good sense of community between visitors. The first bedroom (first bedroom??) was very clean and my god the beds are quite possibly the most comfortable beds on the planet.
Problems began upon return to the hostel after our night in the town. We were 6 of a very large group, about 90, many of us knew each other, many did not. I was a bit tired so i headed back to the room early and tried to go to sleep. I was disturbed after about an hour by someone coming into the room, assuming it was one of the lads i rolled over and went back to sleep. drifting off again,
i woke to 5 people entering the room, not the lads. first i was shocked, not able to understand who they were. they had bags and key cards to the room. no member of staff was present. Obviously my first question was 'are ye part of our group?' turns out they were, but i had still never met any of them before. So at this moment in time, me in my bed and 5 of my friends had key cards to this room, along with these other 5 people who none of us knew, I personally have a serious issue with this. if i had not been there these people had access to all our belongings, if i hadnt woken up i was subject to the mischievous nature of 5 Irish people at 3 in the morning.
Regardless, I was ok with the situation. 'Its grand' i told myself, go to reception and sort it out. So i went to reception and asked why five people had keys to our room and now think they are staying there. ilI was met by very aggressive responses from a male member of staff. slightly bewildered, I calmly explained i was part of a big group, many of us entirely unrelated. he asked for my name and referred to piece of paper saying i was in the wrong room. I found this impossible to believe as i was responsible for the people staying in our room, having collected the key cards myself earlier in the night.
he brought me to our ''proper'' room, only to find six people asleep in it, also confused as to why someone barged into their room in the middle of the night. I realized that the paper he was referring to was not actually an accurate list of rooms, only a print out of the guests attending in groups, and each group had be assigned to a room in the same order as the print out. I explained that this wasnt accurate, and how the confusion arose. This did not go down well at all, he began shouting at me complaining about the behavior of some guest, people i didnt even know. At this stage i was very angry, i put it to him simply, "Where do i sleep?" he began talking gibberish essentially and became very dismissive of me.
Not knowing what to do i went outside for a cigarette. i met some people from our group, just arriving back from town, explained what happened. I decided the only option available to me was to demand an empty room in the hostel to stay in. This was difficult but eventually he conceded and gave me six new key cards. The room was filthy, no sheets on the beds and just general dirt of the people who had stayed their previously. I was in no mood to complain, i thanked him and went to sleep.
I suppose this hostel is perfect for small groups, it is very secure it terms of its design, needing your key card to, 1 enter. 2 show the person at the door, 3 use the lift, 4 open your door. reasonably cheap, and very good location, not quite walking distance from the center at night, but fine during the day. Just dont expect the guy at the counter to be able to think for himself, and be ready for him to be ultra aggressive should other guests in the hostel be bothering him. I personally will never stay here again, and its a pity cause it did seem like a very nice place.

Room Tip: Make sure the people at the desk know if other people are already in the room.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Generator_Dublin, General Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, 16 March 2012
Dear Guest

Firstly I would like to thank you for writing such a detailed review on your recent stay at Generator Dublin, I am sorry you have left with such a poor impression of our team, as you are aware the entire group did not check into the hostel until very late so it was difficult for my team to communicate with some of the group.

I am sorry that a member of my team was rude to you and I apologise for that.

Thanks again for taking the time to complete a review on your recent stay.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 March 2012

Would definitely recommend this hostel for short breaks in Dublin. Comfy beds, cool bar area with decent priced drinks and offers, spotless rooms, handy location, fantastic value! Forget about the "hostel" label as the old ideas of what a hostel is like don't apply here. The rooms are pretty much the same standard as those found in the well-known budget chains of hotels.

Room Tip: We booked a private twin room but were given a 5bed dorm for private use. Lovely, light, spacious ro...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
Generator_Dublin, General Manager at Generator Hostel Dublin, responded to this review, 12 March 2012