New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

“Our rooms didn't match the pictures” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Drury Court Hotel

Drury Court Hotel
Ranked #24 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
“Our rooms didn't match the pictures”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 April 2012

The hotel is in a GREAT location for touring Dublin. During our trip we stayed in 3 different rooms at the Drury Court. None of them have been renovated to look like the hotel photos (no pretty patterned bathroom tiles, silver/taupe-colored drapes, gray rug). Our rooms had tired, stained red rugs and maroon drapes. Some room photos show an extra chair in the corner (we didn't have one in room 208 or 408, but did in room 209).

The first night, Room 208 was across the street from a club. We could not sleep! It was a Friday night. Our window was closed, and the thick drapes were closed, too. The entrance/line was on the sidewalk, so we could hear everyone talking. When the club doors opened we could hear the music loud & clear. One side table was broken and one broken lamp missing a lampshade. The bathroom needed to be scrubbed.

In the morning I spoke to Ann Marie. She moved us across the hall to room 209. A much better location (above a parking lot). So quiet! However, the bathroom smelled musty (maybe needed a new shower curtain?) The lamps were dusty (see photos). Hopefully this room will be renovated soon.

We checked out to visit other cities, then returned to the Drury Court for a few more nights. Our room 408 again overlooked the parking lot so it was quiet. The bathroom sink was slow to drain, and the stopper was broken. The chamber-maids must have known this b/c every day when we returned she had left on the counter (not in the sink).

You can't beat this location! Turn left out of the hotel will bring you to Dame St, Dublin Castle, Christ Church, etc. A right out of the hotel, is St. Stephens Park & shopping mall, Grafton Street, Trinity College, museums, etc. 5 minute walk to the Tourism Office, where you meet the bus for all-day tours. Also, there are plenty of restaurants in the area. Front desk/Ann Marie was very pleasant and helpful booking a tour for us.

Hotel rooms come with free wi-fi. A little slow, but good enough to check email. If you need a stronger signal, walk towards the Metro Cafe then cross the street to Starbucks. Use their free wi-fi instead.

There's free, secure parking if you call the hotel directly and make arrangements.

We didn't bother to add breakfast to our room rate. There are plenty of restaurant you an walk to instead. Be sure to eat at the Hairy Lemon across the street for real Irish food. Plenty of locals eating there. After dinner, we watched a soccer match on the pub side. Such fun!

There's a standard 25 euro rate for a taxi from the hotel to the airport, approx. 30 minute ride. Consider a taxi rather than walking to the aircoach bus stop for 7 euros per person.

Room Tip: On the weekends you must ask for a quiet room.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank sullivankzs
David C, General Manager at Drury Court Hotel, responded to this review, 1 May 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your recent stay here in the heart of Dublin city. I was glad that overall you enjoyed the location, the friendly efficient staff, the free wifi and also the free onsite parking (when booked directly with the hotel by phone or email). My only regret is that you didn't try our Breakfast Buffet including Smoked Atlantic Salmon and Irish Farmhouse Cheeses or indeed our new evening Menu "Bijou Bites" at Bia Bar. Thank you for bringing the other matters to my attention which I will personally oversee. I hope you enjoyed your stay with us and overall in Ireland and should you return to Dublin in the future please be sure to look us up, and also to book directly where we can offer a discount on account of your regular custom.
Kind Regards,
David Cahill.
General Manager.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (239)
Cork, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 April 2012

I was compelled to write this because of the awful experience I suffered with this hotel. I booked a hotel room by phone for a Thursday on the Sunday before my stay. I was told on the phone that I would receive an email confirmation. By Thursday, I still hadn't received an email confirmation, so I called the hotel to enquire. While on the phone, I extended my booking to 2 nights, and the lady who took the booking said there was a problem with their email but my room was definitely booked.

That Thursday night, I arrived at the hotel quite late, about 11:30 and was informed to my horror that there was no room booked for me and what was worse, that the hotel was full. Eventually the clerk, told me that my room had been booked and then had the temerity to tell me that I must've have cancelled it. At this point I started becoming frustrated. Imagine having been travelling for hours, and arriving at your hotel to find they had no booking and no rooms left in the hotel. I was left facing the prospect of having nowhere to stay!

In fairness to the clerk he called around to find another hotel with rooms, but then told me that I'd have to walk there! I suggested that the hotel should cover a taxi to the other hotel, and he looked at me blankly. I left at this point and went on foot to the other hotel, as I'd had enough of the shoddy treatment.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Mossy M
Dear Guest,
Thank you for taking the time to make us aware of your recent stay at The Drury Court Hotel.I have personally investigated the matter and, while we generally do not exercise an overbooking policy, on this particular occasion it was unavoidable due to a maintenance issue. Once the matter had come to our attention alternative arrangements had been made in another 3 star hotel next door, at which point the communication seemed to break down. Please be assured that this is not the standard we aspire to, and is not indicative of what our guests experience as a whole. Please accept my profuse apologies and rest assured that I will endevour to personally contact as I relish the opportunity to give you a truer picture of what we offer here in the heart of Dublin city.
Kind Regards,
David Cahill.
General Manager.
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 April 2012

hotel easy to get to, near temple bar but not to close to be noisey at night. big clean rooms, bathroom also big, everything in room you need. booked room only, you can have breakfast there but in dublin there are plenty of great places to have an Irish breakfast i would defo book room only. overall i would reccomend and if i go to Dublin again i would go back to the Drury Court.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank FrankandChristine76
Dorset
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 April 2012

A very well located hotel just off Grafton Street- perfect for anyone walking the sights of Dublin.The rooms are clean, a good size and of a similar standard to Travelodge. We didn't have a power shower as reported in some reviews and looking at the photos our room was a basic standard. We requested a quiet room and got one on the top floor and at side of the hotel, which was very quiet for a city location.

Reception staff were very helpful and pointed us in the right direction when we arrived with a map, local knowledge and excellent advice.

We stayed when the weather was very cold and had an issue with the room being cold when we woke up and returned late evening. Even the receptionist said the room was very cold when she came to check and we were very grateful for the portable heater she provided. The heating is timed to come on 5-7am and 5-7pm whch may suit business guests but unfortunately not us. To their credit the receptionist did tell us to call her if we were cold and the heating would be put on for that floor. A bit too much of a fuss for us first thing in the morning!

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room and for the heating to go on!
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
oldham UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights over the weekend had nice meal on arrival and 3 lovely highly recommended breakfasts
Staff are very welcoming and efficient
We had a problem sleeping on Friday and Saturday nights the bass boom from the disco/bar was horrendous till 3 in morning even though we were on 4th floor.
Spoke with David the manager who handled our complaint with professionalism and assured us he would look into the cause and asked us to visit again when we return to Dublin which we certainly do and the Drury Court would be our choice.
The hotel is centrally situated for shops and bars

Stayed April 2012