2,352 results
All reviews o'connell street music shop ray cox vault restaurant live irish music georgian building downstairs bar full irish breakfast temple bar lovely hotel tour buses single room city centre family room cooked breakfast airport bus street noise
Reviewed 17 October 2015

We can to Dublin for a birthday treat the hotel is lovely, room was clean and modern food awsome would visit again, only thing was our room faced the main rd were all the bus stops was and the noise from the rd started about 6am so we got woken up quite early everything else was great enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 October 2015

Although this hotel is in a good location for walking to the sites of Dublin it is not a good choice. Lobby areas are shoddy and dirty - wall paper was torn & furniture is in very poor condition and in need of replacement. Dining room was crowded and very loud at breakfast. Guest rooms are tiny, poorly laid out, not very clean and unbearably hot although it was 50 degrees outside and we turned off the heat!! Bedding & towels were very thin. The duvet cover was too small for the comforter and we had two lumpy thin foam pillows. The shower was terrible - very small with inconsistent water temperatures - alternately cold & very hot water!
The only good thing about the hotel was the nightly entertainment in the basement pub. But don't let this draw you in as there are many pubs within walking distance that provide high quality live entertainment.

• Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
1  Thank Kjell H
Reviewed 15 October 2015 via mobile

Went hear with the wife and two friends for four days and had a great time the hotel was great the rooms were comfortable And big rooms were cleared every day
The vault bar was good had a singer on every night singing Irish songs and the bar was own until 0100am the bar staff were great
Murray's bar just around the corner was great the food was amazing and also had rest a band on every night the Dublin in town and the stone house were great bar
Dublin castle was a great place to look around the ballroom was amazing and the viking boat trip was good next to the park was great and the guide was the funniest thing will go back had a great time

Stayed: October 2015, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 October 2015

It took us around half an hour by taxi from Dublin Airport to The Castle, the trip
costing €35 including a tip. We were both exhausted, our journey having taken 10 hours door to door. There are a couple of very easy steps to get in to the sumptuous lobby where we received a very warm welcome. Being Disabled I'd asked for a room with a walk-in shower rather than an overbath arrangement; we were given Room 105 which is on the ground floor although there are a few steps to get up to it. The room is utterly beautiful. As with the rest of the Hotel which was originally four Georgian houses, with a Music Shop in the middle, the high ceilings have stunning cornice work and mouldings, there are marble fireplaces, beautifully ornate overmantels and genuinely antiquities in furniture and artwork.
A small point, I could have done with being warned that when you open the bathroom door there is a step to get up to it. You do not expect a step right there but I quickly got used to the arrangement. Room 105 is a spacious triple room, the beds as we discovered are extremely comfortable, and the tea making facilities were very welcome. This room overlooks the rear garden which is also a smoking area. The staff use this entrance from very early in the mornings, we did notice the door slamming a few times but it didn't really bother us. We were offered another room because of this issue - without us having said anything about it - but it wasn't affecting us enough to warrant moving.
I shall start to précis as otherwise this review will end up ludicrously long. The Castle is a beautiful, quirky hotel which serves glorious food, both at breakfast and during the day in The Music Shop restaurant and downstairs in the wonderful Vaults bar. The location is tremendously central, essentially it is positioned at the top of O'Connell Street. The area is not trendy, it is not full of fashionable bars and expensive shops therefore it is not full of hen nights or stag parties and the bars and shops are consequently much more reasonably priced. My husband paid on average €5.50 for a pint of beer or lager. He switched from bitter to lager after a few days as he prefers beer served at room temperature and in Ireland everything seemed to only come as super-cold. The hotel is pretty close to Connolly train and bus station and many of the other cal buses can be picked up in O'Connell Street as well as the wonderful city bus tour which I would highly recommend for both their informational and humourous content.
The Vaults bar downstairs has excellent local musicians every night. On our first night the singer was great but the bar was quiet, by our second night the bar was packed and the music swang, the drink flowed and the craic was mighty! We met people from Belgium, the States and Canada as well as from other parts of Ireland and the UK. There is a subterranean smoking area which is quite atmospheric and where you seem to meet the most interesting people. That night we are their char-grilled chicken in cream sauce with vegetables and the most perfectly seasoned mashed potato I've ever eaten. Who would think that mash could be heavenly?
The highest point amongst very many has to be the staff. From our first telephone conversations every member of the pretty large team was utterly charming, efficient, helpful and kind. They not only did their jobs with extreme professionalism but were supremely kind and keen to make your stay as great as possible. I'm only sad that I don't know more names to mention as so many were particularly helpful but the only names I remember are Beatrice, one of the waitresses who looked after me so well and so smilingly, the glorious Suzanne on the Reception desk who went above and beyond the call of duty and Patrick, one of the night staff, who was so concerned that I spent nightime hours pacing the rooms and chainsmoking outside rather than sleeping. He was so kind, a Masters student working nights to keep himself through his studies, I wish him and the rest of the team a massive debt of gratitude.
I have gone on way too long. Do not go here if you like modern, soulless boxes and you expect everything to work perfectly! It is simply not that kind of place; the shower made me cry for example. But, we both loved The Castle and would return in a heartbeat and would highly recommend it to you if you like your history dished up with a personal touch.

Room Tip: There is a lift, if you require anything specific then ask for it, in my experience they will do their best to help.
  • Stayed: September 2015, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Hurricane139
Reviewed 15 October 2015

This hotel is best suited to the hard of hearing. Thin walls where one can hear everything going on next door and the chatter and phone calls of housekeeping staff whilst having a lie in, made for a poor stay. Duvets were dirty and old, shower tray very slow to empty and general shabbiness of the hotel were disappointing. On the plus side, food was excellent, reception staff helpful and reasonable location. On booking, my daughter requested a ground floor room, we were given one on the 3rd floor. She also mentioned it was my 50th birthday, but no acknowledgement of that from staff. To be fair, it does say room allocation not guaranteed but it's not rocket science to work out if one requests a ground floor room, there is usually good reason!

Stayed: October 2015