“Great couples get away”

Clontarf Castle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 150 Hotels in Dublin
Reviewed 25 April 2012

Loved the restaurant.
Beautiful lobby and exterior, room was nice, staff was great.

Had a 110v outlet in room :-)

Stayed: April 2012
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the kind words. Delighted you had such a terrific stay with us and would be happy to welcome you back again!

Reviewed 24 April 2012

I found my stay at Clontarf Castle Hotel to be perfectly adequate. It was the first hotel of 4 that I would be using during my trip to Ireland, and I was only there for one night. I found the bed to be very comfortable, and I enjoyed a great night's sleep.

The outside of the hotel is very imposing with the contradiction between the old castle facade and the modern glass additions. This contradiction was also in place in the hotel's interior where the lobby furnishings were fitting with your impression of a castle, but the furnishings in the room were very modern.

Breakfast in the hotel was a typical buffet with a few hot food selections and was very good.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the nice review. I am glad you had a very nice stay with us and were impressed with the décor and architecture of the hotel as well as the buffet breakfast.
I hope had a great visit to Ireland and I would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle again some time soon.

Reviewed 23 April 2012

My husband, 15 month old son and I recently stayed at this hotel. We have stayed here previously. It must be said that the whole experience was wonderful. The room was gorgeous, the food at the bar was first class and the staff were so helpful with my 15 month old son, whom they chatted and made much of. The hotel is a bus ride from the city centre so you can leave the car there and dont have to worry about parking. The breakfast is so wonderful with a huge selection. The staff everywhere are so friendly and kind. It is a wonderful break away destination near the sea! It has everything

Room Tip: All the rooms are fab!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family

Dear Guest,
Thank you for the lovely review. I am so glad you ahd such a wonderful stay with us recently. I was especially delighted to hear how impressed you were with the food and the service of our dedicated staff. I hope you had a memorable visit to Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back again soon.

Reviewed 21 April 2012

A special offer was advertised on website for this Hotel. I purchased the voucher in good faith and booked the hotel as a gift to my partner for there birthday. The date we booked for was booked well in advance and voucher details given to reservation team with booking confirmed, and was also the week we were getting married. I wanted this to be the start of a beautiful time in our lives. We traveled 3.5 hours and had stopped along the way in the city for some last minute shopping. We then arrived to hotel and to check in, where I was told I had to have the print off of voucher to check in. we had bags piled high in lobby and it was a busy time, in all my hurrying to get to hotel in time I'd forgotten voucher ( I also presumed having already made them booking and given voucher UNIQUE code that the print-off was not required). I showed Id and credit cards and unique booking code yet they still required voucher. The gentleman informed me i could use there computer to the side to print off. When I logged on it would not allow my email providers site - he knew nothing of this as he couldn't work computers........ his colleague stated we needed to print it off even though I had email on my phone and there computer wasn't accepting Hotmail!!! I inquired as she sat behind her desk ignoring us if there was another computer - there was over in a corner, I went to use it but it was pass-worded, I then returned and had to ask for it whilst being ignored again. At this stage it was over thirty minutes and all very embarrassing as my partner was just left there sat with all the bags in front of other guests! eventually printed it off and handed it to the very rude lady on the desk who didn't even acknowledge us or inform us which direction to get to room. We arrived to room it was quite a tight space, relatively clean.

We got changed quickly and headed downstairs to dine as this was part of package. The bar was full, we sat at bar where a nice waiter handed us menus we showed him vouchers and he went to speak to someone else behind bar where they stated that offer is OVER!!!(it wasn't it was inline with offer of voucher) left him there in front of us. He eventually found an old menu that was slightly destroyed and apologised. At this stage we were already late with everything that had occurred for a show in town. so we opted for something quick or so we taught. We ordered our food and waited over 40mins for it to arrive!!!! at which stage just before it arrived we stated we had to leave in 5mins. We ordered drinks whilst waiting. The food arrived and it was to late, what we received was not very appetizing and we also had to go to catch show!

We arrived back after an excellent show and decided we'd just have breakfast in bed the next morning rather than any of the hassle occurring like earlier that night. So we completed the docket and informed porter of breakfast choice. The breakfast arrived on time, however we'd already been awake for sometime as a member or members of staff had decided it would be a good time to empty glass bottles into bins directly outside our window early in the morning, banging constantly. We quickly ate our breakfast and decided we'd just leave - all in all not the sort of experience we were expecting and by far the worst experience we've ever had in a Hotel and this Hotel ain't cheap!!! For what they are charging and for the experience you expect to have in a Castle - You'd expect some 1st class CUSTOMER Service, don't think it exists in this Hotel - accept for the guy who took our order in the bar.

Do not waist your money or time in this Hotel.

Room Tip: Felt very cramped - staff member emptying glass bottles in bins early next morning for sometime!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank MrDC31
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My one condition of coming to Ireland was that we stay at least one night in a castle. Our travel agent let us choose between 5 different castles throughout the country, but I'm convinced we made the best choice. Lovely setting, the most comfortable bed of all of our stays, excellent breakfast and great atmosphere. We only left our room to eat, we loved it so much!

Stayed: September 2011
MlongClontarf, General Manager at Clontarf Castle Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 19 April 2012

Dear Guest,
Many thanks for the kind review. I am so glad to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and how impressed you were with everything especially the food, atmosphere and your room. I hope you had a terrific visit to Dublin and I would be delighted to welcome you back to Clontarf Castle on your next visit.