“great location, avoid Wilde restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Westbury

The Westbury
Ranked #7 of 153 Hotels in Dublin
Grand Cayman
“great location, avoid Wilde restaurant”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

A Dublin landmark hotel which used to be frequented by celebrities, when celebrity meant something. Famous for its afternoon tea. Hidden away, but a fantastic location 10 steps from Dublin's most popular pedestrianized shopping street, Grafton Street, with its cafes, bars, street performers and throngs of tourists. Decent size, clean modern rooms, but nothing to really wow. Nice lobby and bar area. Friendly, efficient service from hotel staff. Onsite restaurant, Wilde, is a different matter.
Decided to have dinner at Wilde Sat for 20 minutes before anyone even came to ask if I would like to order a drink. I did see a few wait staff look at me as if to say I wonder if anyone is looking after that guy, but nobody approached me. After i finally got a waiter to take my order, I ordered a lamb dish as my main course. I did think it odd that I wasn't asked what temperature I would like my lamb cooked - after about ten minutes from taking my order someone had the sense to ask me how I wanted my lamb cooked. The food was good, but the overall experience was let down by shoddy service which is not to be expected in a hotel with this reputation. I would return, but would avoid Wilde.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled solo
WehManager, Guest Relations Manager at The Westbury, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear PKtourist,

Thank you for recommending The Westbury Hotel on Tripadvisor and thank you for being one of our customers.

I am most concerned by your comments regarding Wilde, the Restaurant and your recent experience while dining there.
I would be most grateful if you would be so kind as to contact me directly to discuss the level of service mentioned in your review. I urge you to please contact me at joseph_downing@doylecollection.com
I look forward to hearing from you and ensuring your continued custom both as a guest and in Wilde, the Restaurant.

Thank you once again.

Guest Relations Manager
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (497)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

We stayed at this hotel for one night in July, and we're very impressed. The location is perfect for exploring all parts of the city.

Within 5-10 minutes of shopping, pubs, Temple bar and some of the best Dublin neighborhoods.

pros:
Great service
Clean, large rooms
Comfortable beds & linens
Turn down service at night
Good value
Great location

cons:
Breakfast in the hotel is not included, and costs 25 EUR per person

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Dear NYdodger31,

Thank you for posting your most favourable review of The Westbury Hotel on Tripadvisor and thank you for having stayed with us while visiting Central Dublin.

Your recommendation of The Westbury Hotel is very appreciated by everyone here and your comments are most encouraging indeed.
I am delighted that your expectations were surpassed and that you thoroughly enjoyed your stay.
Breakfast is not included in the Room Only Rate however if you are planning on returning soon I would be delighted to assist you personally with your reservation and ensure that you choose the option best suited to your requirements such as a rate including breakfast. Please feel free to contact me at joseph_downing@doylecollection.com
I look forward to welcoming you back to The Westbury Hotel.

Thank you for your custom and your comments.

barcelona
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2012

We went to the gallery in the Wstbury hotel to have a nive afternoon tea for 2.
The locationa and view was excelent I might say that, but for the rest not good. The tea was good, but as my friend put it it's very difficult to find bad tea in UK or Ireland, so not bad, but not the best we've tried by far.
The food, that was terrible. Sandwiches,.... well I was expecting at leat fresh bread, but it was a bad one, it tasted as 2-day-old bread, or defrozed bread, and the filling wasn't good either, I was looking for grat smoked atlantic salmon, that was not. And the pastries, not good at all.
A terrible idea if I may say, the problem was the quality/prize ratio that makes you feel you've been cheated. So, I'm sure there are better places in Ireland to find an afternoon tea, just keep away from here.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
Dear lukitas,

Thank you for reviewing The Gallery Afternoon Tea at The Westbury Hotel.

We at The Westbury Hotel take great pride in the sublime luxurious surroundings, the impeccable service and the delicious, locally sourced produce which our dedicated team provide to our cherished customers.
I am most concerned by your comments and would very much appreciate your getting in touch with me directly to discuss your experience in more detail.
I am also sorry not to have had the opportunity to reverse your disappointment on the day and ensure that your experience of Afternoon Tea on The Gallery at The Westbury Hotel was as stupendous as that enjoyed by our other customers.
I urge you to contact me at joseph_downing@doylecollection.com

Thank you for your attention.

London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

Really good central located great for work and shopping just round the corner from Brown Thomas’ the serve great food and do a good afternoon tea. I am planning going back in October for business and I hope it will be just as good.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
Dear samcandles,

Thank you for your favourable review of The Westbury Hotel on Tripadvisor and thank you for having stayed with us.

I am delighted to read that your needs were met on your most recent stay with us and I am most encouraged to note that you plan a return visit in October.
I do hope that I shall have the pleasure of welcoming you back and in the meantime if there is anything that I may be of assistance with please do feel free to contact me at joseph_downing@doylecollection.com
I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you once again for recommending The Westbury Hotel.

Belfast, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 August 2012

Had a family anniversary celebration at Westbury Hotel in July. The Hotel and staff were great - nothing too much trouble.The location is just perfect, soooo central. Had an evening meal in dining room, were a little disappointed with meal - not bad but not memorable. Dining room practically emply so guest were seated very far apart and gave the impression of no-one there at all (tables, we felt should have been closer together so give the feeling not eating alone).The waiter seemed to disappear at the end of our meal, we were not offered coffee or liquers, so we left and went out for last drinks. Room wonderful, we actually had a suite which was spacious and v nicely decorated. Not keen on the pillows though(minor complaint).Family all agreed we would stay in Westbury again, but next time miss evening meal.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Dear Margaret B,

Thank you very much indeed for your extremely kind review of The Westbury Hotel on Tripadvisor and thank you for having chosen to celebrate your anniversary with us.

I am delighted to read that you were most pleased with your accommodation and the overall experience of our wonderful establishment however I am concerned that you were not completely blown away while dining in Wilde, The Restaurant.
It is my goal to ensure that you continue to be one of the Westbury Hotel's cherished clientele and that all aspects of our hotel surprise and delight every time.
I would greatly appreciate hearing from you directly and I urge you to contact me at joseph_downing@doylecollection.com if you would be amenable to discussing your experience of Wilde, The Restaurant in more detail.
I look forward to hearing from you.

Thank you for your comments and your custom.