“Have Dessert at Citron!”

Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin
Ranked #13 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
Connecticut
“Have Dessert at Citron!”
Reviewed 29 July 2012

We spent one night here and it was grand. The property is modern, immaculate and stylish, the staff is world-class professional. The room was stylish and modern. We had dessert at Citron, the staff was happy and friendly and the desserts were wonderful. Breakfast the next morning was at Citron and it was great, buffet, sausage and eggs, I asked for white toast and got six half slices on a chrome server. I wish we had spent our entire stay here.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank BaysideConnecticut
Guest_Relations_Fitz, Guest Relations Manager at Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin, responded to this review, 8 August 2012
Dear BaysideConnecticut,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin.

Thank you for taking the time to rate your stay with us on tripadvisor.

The team and I are delighted that you have enjoyed your visit to us and take heart from the positive sentiments you have expressed regarding the service levels we have provided.

We look forward to an opportunity to welcome you back to the Fitzwilliam Hotel in the near future.

Kind Regards,
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (399)
  • Turkish first
New Orleans, Louisiana
Reviewed 26 July 2012

The hotel is updated and the rooms are modern and clean but I found that the staff was either friendly or somewhat distant. There was a really nice gentleman working the desk at check-in, but on another occasion there was an unsmiley and uninformative front desk lady. Also, the breakfast buffet advertised was available one morning, but not for the other 2 nights we stayed. We had to order au la carte so didn't have much to select from.

Overall, rate paid was reasonable and the rooms were clean, but I probably wouldn't go back due to the inconsistencies.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank wendy5o4
Dear Wendy5o4,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin.

Thank you for taking the time to provide detailed feedback on your most recent stay with us.
I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed our hotel.

Please accept my apologies for the inconsistencies you found both in our service & procedures
Understandably this has detracted from your overall experience.

I would be delighted to act as your point of contact to ensure that any return visit to the Fitzwilliam Hotel would be seen as our opportunity to provide the perfect stay.

Leeds
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I booked this hotel for 2 nights for myself and my friend as it was her 50th birthday. I have to say from start to finish our experience was first class. The hotel arranged some birthday treats for her which was totally unexpected and made her day as due to family circumstances she rarely gets a break away.
All the staff from front desk to concierge toi cleaning staff were excellent and so polite and kind and totally sincere. Our twin room was one of the best I have stayed in in the UK. It had everything and more that you could possibly want. The bathroom was a great size with good power shower and very big bath- great for relaxing. We had a quiet room overlooking the courtyard which suited us fine. The breakfast was also one of the best I have ever had and it simply had everything you could possibly want. The location was ideal opposite St Stephens park and very close to all the shops.
I would not hestitate to recommend this hotel and in fact hope to return one day with my husband and would not even consider staying anywhere else.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quiet
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank cazleeds
Dear cazleeds,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin.

I am delighted that you have taken the time to provide feedback on this most enjoyable stay with us.
I am happy to hear that the quality of our food & service provided a great memory and assure your that this will be passed on to those concerned.
We look forward to welcoming many guests who you will hopefully direct our way. Hopefully you will return shortly with your husband.

Denville, NJ
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Perfect location, professional and fun staff, quality accommodations.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cyrano1950
Dear cyrano 1950

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin.

Thank you for taking the time to rate your stay with us on tripadvisor.

Ireland
Reviewed 23 July 2012

Despite the negative title for this review, I don’t wish to put people off staying here. There is a lot going for it.

I’d stayed here regularly a few years ago, and loved it. I’d become familiar with the different room types, so was very specific when I made the latest booking (by phone): an executive room with a queen bed (not one of those hateful zip-links), overlooking the courtyard, and definitely not on the smoking floor (fifth). I mentioned that I’d been offered upgrades to front-facing rooms in the past but had always turned them down, preferring the quietness of the courtyard-facing rooms. Although the rooms overlooking St Stephen’s Green are generally bigger and have great views, they suffer from street noise and the sounds emanating from the nightclubs below. It was all confirmed in writing. However, when we checked in, we were given a room at the front! We hoped that keeping the window shut would keep out the noise, but it was not to be. Unable to sleep, we contacted reception. We were offered a room on the fifth floor, so that was no good. Next came the sixth floor. The lift doesn’t go this far, so you have the use the stairs. These rooms are tiny, with less storage space and a sloping ceiling. They feel crammed with furniture and claustrophobic. We were then offered a room on the second floor; perfect (exactly what I’d originally asked for) but for the zip-link bed. The concierge, Bob, agreed to swap the bed if we didn’t mind staying up a bit longer. We were happy to do that, but then the duty manager told us it wasn’t possible (I won’t bore you with the details). We were finally offered 350 – a bigger room with a queen bed, and a balcony overlooking the courtyard. But there was a catch: it had been promised to someone arriving the next day and we’d have to move again! We decided to check out the following morning and move to our favourite Dublin B&B: Ariel House in Ballsbridge. Miraculously, they had a room at short notice.

And so to the positives.

The location is fantastic (take the opportunity to walk down Grafton Street before the crowds arrive). The staff are friendly and helpful. Most of the rooms – notably the smaller, executive, rooms overlooking the courtyard – are very well designed. A wall of wardrobes and cupboards divides the bedroom from a small hallway. You can put suitcases and shoes here, leaving the bedroom uncluttered. There’s a CD player (with a speaker in the bathroom, although you can switch that feed off). The bathroom is wonderful, with dimmable lights, a huge bath (with a drencher shower over) and tealights (a lovely touch). The beds are comfortable. Although room 350 (for example) is bigger, I didn’t like the design: the door opens straight into the room – not great if housekeeping knocks and enters without waiting for a reply (although it didn’t happen on this occasion)! The food in the Citron restaurant (which has a balcony overlooking reception) is superb; the service is attentive without being intrusive. (While eating there, we were entertained by loud Americans practising their golf-swing in the foyer!) There’s parking in the basement (just 10 euros for 24 hours) and you can take the lift straight from there to your floor. We enjoyed spending time sitting at the bar. The cocktail menu is excellent, and the staff are chatty (if you want them to be). WiFi is complimentary.

Room Tip: * Courtyard-facing executive rooms are well designed and quiet * Front-facing rooms suffer from str...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Enigmatist
Dear Enigmatist,

Greetings from the Fitzwilliam Hotel Dublin.

I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed our location, decor, style, quality of food in Citron and the friendly service.

Whilst from your review I understand that you had a number of inconveniences with your both your room type & the street noise. I can guarantee you that in future when you have written confimation about your specific requests that this will be acted upon

I would also be delighted to act as your point of contact to ensure any return visit to the Fitzwilliam Hotel would be seen as our opportunity to provide the perfect return visit.