“Excellent location, charming hotel”
Review of Buswells Hotel

Buswells Hotel
Ranked #22 of 151 Hotels in Dublin
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent location, charming hotel”
Reviewed 23 April 2012

We stayed for two nights in a triple room (no.301?) overlooking some rooftops and an office building in late March. The room was spacious, close to a lift but quiet, nice just maybe slightly on the shabby side. The bathroom had nice toiletries but was a little outdated and had very low ceiling (i.e., felt slightly claustrophobic). The beds were comfortable, my only complaint was that all pillows were thick and firm (I prefer soft and thin so ended up sleeping without one - not the most comfortable option). However, overall, the hotel was cozy, full of character and charm. Breakfast was not included in our deal, so I cannot comment on the food or service. The reception staff and the barman were both very nice (we had tea in the lobby before leaving). The location could not have been better - everything was walking distance and the neighbourhood itself was very clean and safe. I would stay in Buswells Hotel again and would recommend it to a friend.

Room Tip: There seems to be a trade-off between rooms that are quiet and rooms that have better views. Those...
3 Thank LTUSASE
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 24 April 2012
Dear LTUSASE,
Thank you for taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor.
I am really glad you enjoyed your stay in Dublin and made use of the great location of Buswells Hotel.
If you ever return to Dublin we would love to have you stay with us again.

Paul Gallagher.
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (305)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Thai first
carrickfergus
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I stay in Dublin frequently and happened to be put up at Buswells by the company with whom I was working on this occasion. I doubt I will stay anywhere else in future - in fact as the title says I would almost prefer not to write a review so we could keep the secret of this excellent little hotel to ourselves - but I guess that wouldn't be fair, so here goes:
The location is excellent. Opposite the Government building so politically interesting and full of cabinet members and journalists. Close to the dart (train), close to Brown Thomas (Ireland equivalent of Harrods) and the best shopping, eating and drinking in Dublin. It is also a very safe area and close to other historical, tourist and university areas.
The Hotel is basically five old georgian houses pulled into one building, retaining the charm and usefulness without appearing higgle-de piggledly. The basement is full of small rooms which can be booked for meetings, the lobby is elegant but cosy, comfortable and good to watch the world go by. Bedrooms are spacious, beds are huge and very comfortable.
If you don't want to eat out as I didn't - I had too much preparation work to do for the following day - you can eat in the bar or in the restaurant. I was dining alone that night and decided as prices are not much different and the bar area looked busy, to eat in the dining room, I didn't want to take up a table for four in the bar and keep others waiting/feel pressured (by myself) to be quick and jump up immediately after the meal.
It was an excellent decision, I was beautifully looked after - provided with a newspaper to read while I waited for my food to be cooked, topped up with iced water as soon as I finished, given warm artisan breads and fresh local butter to eat while I was waiting although I was only having one course and gently reminded to rest a while after eating and before going back to my room to work!
I chose a steak as I reckon the quality and the way steak is cooked tells you pretty much all you need to know about a restaurant. It was the nicest I've had for a very long time, perfectly cooked as I asked for. I like mine very rare, verging on bleu and this is sometimes not a good option but here it was perfectly cooked and the accompanying vegetables absolutely gorgeous. Breakfast was the same, I had a kipper, a colleague had scrambled egg and smoked salmon beautifully presented and the other a perfect omelette. The food is all fresh and locally sourced.
If you want to eat out, some of the best eating places, from restaurants to bars, cafes to bistros at all prices levels are pretty much within walking distance, or if all else fails you can take a taxi - Dublin taxi drivers are fantastic and if they realise you are a visitor usually give a running commentary about what you are passing on your journey.
The Hotel staff are just what you want at an hotel, charming, helpful, friendly and knowledgeable about local things, places to go things to see, theatres etc., and places to visit further afield. I am about to book a couple of nights for my husband and me to have a break to shop and watch rugby and will definitely be booking Buswells rather than any of our previous hotels.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank oldladytraveller
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 23 April 2012
Dear oldladytraveller,

Many thanks for taking the time to post your review following your stay with us.

We are delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us at the Buswells Hotel & would like to thank you for your kind feedback about the hotel & our friendly team. Our aim is to surpass our guests expectation and offer a ‘home away from home’.

We look forward to welcoming you to Buswells Hotel again in the near future.

Fairfield, California
Reviewed 16 April 2012

We picked Buswells mostly by chance and lucked out! The rooms were large and clean, the staff friendly. The beds felt new - firm, but not too hard. I had no trouble sleeping. I especially enjoyed the atmosphere, the geneal joviality of the staff and other guests. The hotel itself has a beautiful lobby and restraunt/bar. The food was delicious. It was an easy walk to Temple Bar District, Trinity College, Grafton St. and even ChristChurch and St. Patrck's Cathedral. Yet it was far enough away that we were not disturbed by any noise from outside even though we were there over St. Paddy's weekend. As we were a large group, we had four rooms. Mine overlooked Molesworth St., a relatively quiet road, My sister's has a smaller window that afforded only a view of a patch of roof and walls. Just be sure to mention your preferance if the views matter to you.

1 Thank j_ostrowski
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 17 April 2012
Dear JfromCali,
We are delighted you enjoyed your time at the Buswells Hotel and thank you for taking the time to post your comments.
Hopefully you will have the opportunity to visit again in the future.

Mountain Brook, Alabama
Reviewed 9 April 2012

We stayed at the Buswells Hotel for two nights in March, 2012. This hotel is small enough to be charming, yet large enough to have good amenities. You can't beat the location for walking to Trinity College, Grafton Street, Temple Bar, etc. It's an easy walk to plenty of good resturaunts, too. Our rooms were clean and comfortable. Despite being near the elevator, we had no problems with noise at night. There are no individual climate controls, but we regulated the rather warm temps by opening our windows. While we didn't visit the bar/resturaunt onsite, it was usually busy, and seemed like a good place for a quick drink. We saw several groups enjoying tea in the lobby, and everyone was very cheerful and pleasant. We'd definitely stay there again.

1 Thank Sherrie F
buswellsmanager, General Manager at Buswells Hotel, responded to this review, 11 April 2012
Dear Sherrie F,

Thank you for taking the time to post your comment following your recent stay. We are delighted that you enjoyed your stay with us.

Hopefully you will have the opportunity to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed 7 April 2012

This hotel was lovely and the location was both convenient and safe. The front desk was helpful, courteous, polite and knowledgeable. My only suggestion would be to get a room other than the first one in the walk up path which can be noisy when guests are returning. There are numerous places to eat within a short, walking distance - we did not partake of the hotel restaurant. The price we paid for our 3 nights was an unbelievable value for what we received.

Room Tip: Avoid room 114 - the first along the stairwell.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank NJLass
Dar NJLass,

I really appreciate you taking the time to write this review on TripAdvisor. We are really happy that you had a good time and enjoyed your stay in Dublin.

It was nice to hear that you found our reception staff to be helpful and polite, we pride ourselves on the friendliness of our staff members.

Should you wish to return to the hotel in the future please feel free to contact the hotel reservations team to arrange a booking, and we look forward to welcoming you back