The Merrion Hotel
Drury Court Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$ 208
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Dublin Parnell Street(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$ 196
US$ 187
  • Restaurant
Hotel St. George(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$ 159
Doubletree
US$ 1,070
US$ 1,015
  • Pool
The Gibson Hotel(Dublin)(Great Value!)
US$ 176
US$ 244
US$ 220
The Clarence(Dublin)
US$ 267
US$ 250
3,634 results
All reviewscellar restaurantgarden wingart collectionthe main houseart teapatrick guilbaudhighly recommend the merriongovernment buildingsdrawing roompublic roomsbeautiful hotelnational galleryturn down servicefive star hotelgrafton streettrinity collegemeriton
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 20 April 2012

Since it was my two son's first trip to Europe from New York I was a little worried how they would react to the long plane ride and the jet lag. We arrived in Dublin shortly after 7am and we were driving up to the Merrion Hotel by 8:30. My first impression of the hotel was that it was tasteful and discreet. It is housed in a row of Georgian period houses what have great character and curb appeal. My family was greeted very warmly by several bellmen in coattails who not only unloaded our luggage but assisted us in every way imaginable. We were asked our surname and quided to the front check in desk. Staff were plentiful and we were told that one of our 2 rooms was ready for occupancy. I was relieved as i could tell at least one son wanted to grab a nap otherwise we would have to set out for the city until the rooms were available. Staff gave us a quick tour of the grand parlors that were beautifully decorated on our way to our room. We also passed a lovely interior garden on the way to the room as well.

The room was large and well appointed and the luggage arrived almost instantaneously. Nice furnishings were accented by beautiful drapes as well as other luxurious touches. The bathroom was quite large and very clean. We were offered a tour of the room but declined as we knew we needed a little quiet time. Approximately two hours later we got a call from the desk that our second room was also available. My wife and older son wanted some more rest so myself and my younger son were off to explore.

I had been to Dublin once prior so had a fair understanding of the layout of the city. I took my son down to glance at the indoor pool which i knew we could be visiting later. The pool is beautiful for an inner city hotel as most look like they were built as an afterthought. Nicely proportioned and extremely clean. We made our way back to the main entrance and were greeted by name, asked if we needed maps, taxis, etc. Staff were just so attentive.

We stayed 3 nights in total experiencing a majority of the offering that the hotel had to give. Breakfast is very well done and service is in line with every part of the hotel. We travel often with our boys who are 9 and 11 and they were treated extremely well. Sometimes when staying at a hotel of this caliber they can tend to forget children. I would definitely suggest staying here for anyone who wants to stay at a top European hotel. I look forward to coming back.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank chappaquatraveler1
Manager_PMacCann, General Manager at The Merrion Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 4 May 2012

Dear chappaquatraveler1,

Many thanks for the wonderful review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. I am pleased that we were able to accommodate your early arrival on this occasion and more importantly that your children enjoyed their stay with us so much also.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you all back.

Reviewed 20 April 2012

Stay fairly reguarly and service is always spot on. Some rooms are a little on the 'compact' size but still luxorious. Just one very small criticism - as a female I cannot sit at the deak and see myself in the mirror to dry my hair - rooms probably designed by a man ! However, I get the feeling that if I mention it at my next visit they might even move it for me!
You will not be disappointed with a stay here.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Tarmum

Dear Tarmum,

visit as much as you did. I will follow up on your comment regarding the distance from the mirror to the desk and hope to come to a solution to this very soon.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you back to stay with us.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

The Merrion is all about service.
I have been in many hotels with good and even sometimes fantastic service but so far, non has matched the Merrion. I will try to explain why.
1. Consistence. I stay regularly at the Merrion. Not once have I been disappointed. People are very nice, really welcoming and always going the extra yard to make things as good as possible. When dealing with service, consistence is the real scale.
2. The right mix. If you travel in the US you can often feel that you get good service because staff rely on tips. If you travel to Asia, you get great service but really unpersonalized. In the Merrion, the staff has found the exact right mix between courtesy and friendliness. Very polite but not obsequious; interested in your visit to Dublin/Ireland but not too friendly either.
3. Attention to detail. I honestly don't know how they do it. The first time I stayed there, the doorman greeted me by my family name and offered me an umbrella when leaving for a walk the day after checking in. They doorman had only heard my name once when I checked in the day before! He is the doorman, not the concierge! The whole front desk is also very likely to greet you by your name which always amazes me.
4. Cosiness. Cup of tea or pint of Guinness, there is always a nice open fire in the sitting rooms downstairs. The cocktails are great (try the fantastic Basil smash!). Here again, fantastic service.
5. Restaurant. First class Irish food with a twist of modernity at the downstairs restaurant.
6. Spacious rooms. Unlike most hotels, the Merrion has kept nice rooms with a lot of space.

Overall, I would never stay in any other hotel than the Merrion while in Dublin. I have stayed at the Shelbourne but they lack consistence and do not come close to what the Merrion offers both in terms of rooms and service.

Room Tip: The main building is the nicest.
  • Stayed: April 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank matdiver2

Dear matdiver2,

Many thanks for the absolutely fantastic review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience with us.

On behalf of everybody here, thank you for your very kind comments; it really makes it all worthwhile when somebody enjoys a visit as much as you did. Both my colleagues and I were so delighted to read such positive and lovely feedback.

Reviewed 19 April 2012

I can't imagine a better one. Impeccable service, superb amenities, beautiful rooms. Great food, good bars, many lovely fireplaces. Tremendous pool, perfect location, gorgeous gardens. Really, it's perfect. Of course, it is not cheap, but I'd charge a fortune if I were them, too. This place is the only place to stay in Dublin if you can afford it.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank pennsyguy

Dear pennsyguy,

visit as much as you did.

Reviewed 15 April 2012

My son and I had two nights here, and they were of service before we even arrived. I left my camera battery charger behind, and I emailed the concierge with a description of what I needed two days before I got to the Merrion. They had one waiting for me! We were surprised with a bottle of champagne and birthday cake in our room, as they knew the real purpose of the trip was to celebrate my son's 16th. It is central to Trinity, Grafton Street and Temple Bar. If you want an upscale, city center, luxury hotel, you can't go wrong.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank sejlriceRingoesNJ

Dear sejlriceRingoesNJ,

visit as much as you did. I am so delighted that your son had a memorable birthday with us here at The Merrion.

I hope it is not too long before we have the privilege of welcoming you and your family back to stay with us.