“It was okay”

Limerick, Cliffs of Moher, Burren and Galway Bay Rail Tour from Dublin
Ranked #27 of 224 Tours in Dublin
Type: Rail Tours, Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Railtours Ireland First Class offers visitors to Dublin an extensive programme of day tours to Ireland's best known tourist attractions such as the Cliffs of Moher and Bunratty Castle, Cork and Blarney Castle, the Giants Causeway, Game of Thrones Tour, the Ring of Kerry, Kilkenny and Waterford, Connemara and the Aran Islands. We also have a very popular half day tour - “The Wicklow Mountaineer” – which includes Ballykissangel (Avoca).Tours leave Dublin Daily (except Sundays). Fully hosted by the renowned Railtours Ireland hosts in reserved cars on scheduled trains and with connecting luxury coaches to continue the journeys, we ensure a memorable touring experience! Car Free Care Free Vacation!
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“It was okay”
Reviewed 18 July 2012 via mobile

I think I would not do a rail tour again. My husband and I did the 1 day Blarney Stone tour. Getting to the tour was easy but the amount of time spent on the train with no guidance or discussion on what to look for while looking at the countryside from the tour company felt like a waste of the day. No one mentioned that Cork had flooded a few days before our tour and I am not sure if that took away from the tour but nothing really stood out for us while there. The trip to Queenstown was nice but there was a wedding at he church do we coldnt go in and there was only an hour half to visit but no real explanations of what to do except to visit the museum.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Bradenton, FL
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Cliffs of Moher were spectacular-but challenging”
Reviewed 21 June 2012

We wanted to spend a day in the west coast wilds of Ireland so opted for the rail trip from Dublin (as opposed to the bus trips which are certainly less expensive). It was an early start and everything ran on time. Trip DH-06 was well worth the 109Euros and we loved it all, in spite of rain and wind. Bunratty Castle is NOT for the physically challenged (steps are narrow and steep). The folk village was nice and the prices in the shops were reasonable. O'Connors Pub for lunch was delicious and unbeliveably fast. The Cliffs were great but again, a real challenge for those of us who have trouble with stairs. The Burren was as advertised; like a moon-scape. Our guide was knowledgeable and knew when to be quiet and just let us look out the windows. The bus was clean. The trains put US rail service to shame. Fast, efficient, smooth and great refreshment service both ways. I wish we'd had time for a day tour every day!

Visited June 2012
2 Thank Marianne M
Bellarine Peninsula
53 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 96 helpful votes
“Cork, Cobh, Blarney Stone and Queenstown”
Reviewed 20 June 2012

We booked the Railtours Ireland day tour from Dublin to Cork, Cobh and the Blarney Stone in late November. Houston Station was easy to find and serviced by the LUAS trams – and it is not hard to find the tour guides in their bright yellow jackets, inside the station building, but before you get through to the platforms. Our guide for the day was Billy, an older gentleman who led us to the train, pointed out the reserved seating for tour members and then pretty much left us to our own devices while he sat and chatted with another tour guide. Much of the train journey was in darkness, which was somewhat disappointing as we were unable to see much of the countryside, but obviously an element that is outside the control of the tour operator.

We travelled by train to Cork, then transferred to a large coach and were driven to the town of Blarney, where we parked by the Mill stores and were led by Billy towards the castle and given free time to tour the grounds, castle, etc. It was raining on arrival and not great weather, so we did not spend a lot of time in the grounds, although I imagine there would be a lot to see on a fine day. We climbed the steps through the interior of the castle, which has some pretty amazing views from it, and then lined up to kiss the stone. There is an official photographer to take photographs, but you don’t have to purchase them, obviously. If you are travelling with someone else, hand them your camera, and have them take one photo of you as you sit down in front of the stone, and then get them to stand right up close and take a photo looking down at you kissing the stone. That way, with two photos, people will be able to tell the second is of you by the clothes you are wearing – otherwise all they can see is a headless torso hanging upside down.

We made our way out of the rain to the pub/tearoom near the mill stores for sandwiches and fries followed by wicked scones, jam and cream. We had around 1.5 hours in Blarney, then back onto the bus and a drive through the town of Cork (where we just watched the scenery passing by, without really knowing what we were seeing) and down to Cobh. We stopped in the street to take some photos of memorials, J. F. Kennedy park, the White Star Lines offices, etc and then moved on to the visitor’s centre there, which is really interesting with exhibits from the Titanic, a couple of movies to watch, many news articles to read, etc – but we found that the time we were there was so brief and we were unable to spend time watching all footage, before it was time to rush off to catch the train from Cobh back to Cork and then another to Dublin.

Billy once again retired to his own seat and left us all to our own devices. We arrived back in Dublin around 8.20 pm. I was somewhat disappointed with the tour and felt that we could have spent longer in Cobh, perhaps spent a little more time touring Cork and having some of the sights pointed out to us – and I think it may have been enjoyable if our guide had been a little more personable and actually chatted to the group and interacted more with us. If I had the time again I would spend a few days away from Dublin, staying in Cork, and take small trips from there.

Visited November 2011
6 Thank monkelpunkel
Toronto, Canada
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Railtours Ireland - Excellent for a solo traveller!”
Reviewed 14 June 2012

This is a wonderful day-tour that leaves from Dublin (Heuston Station) at 7:00 a.m. returning to Dublin around 9:00 p.m. The organisation and professionalism right from meeting the representatives at the train station, boarding the train, changing trains, boarding the coach, the various stops and returning to Dublin were worth every penny of this tour.

I took this tour on June 5th and my guide, Dave, was incredibly knowledgeable and engaging – getting to know everyone on the train to Limerick and making everyone feel part of the group. Our first stop was Bunratty Castle – great place for pictures and the quaint folk village has some pretty little shops. We left there for Doolin for lunch at a great pub – also right next door to a great craft shop for gifts. We arrived at the Cliffs of Moher just in time to take a few photos before the rain and fog rolled in and the cliffs were gone. People could be disappointed; however, weather is never guaranteed anywhere! I did get some really wonderful photos – and they also have a great gift shop. The drive along the Atlantic coast is breathtaking.

The last stop was Galway and again there are lots of shops and places to eat before boarding the train back to Dublin. Dave, spoke with everyone on the way back helping with directions and suggestions – and he gave me some really great tips for my remaining time in Dublin and for my day-trip to Belfast. I highly recommend this day-tour and RailTours for any tours you may plan while in Ireland. AND I hope that you will be as lucky as me to have Dave as your guide!

Visited June 2012
5 Thank CDNJennifer2012
Los Angeles, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Thank you”
Reviewed 10 June 2012

I booked a day tour with Railtours for May 23 2012. It was the Limerick, Cliffs Of Mohr, Galaway Bay day trip. I found all of the guides from the begining to be professional, friendly, and informative. I probably wasnt a typical tourist you would find on this tour since I am Black American. The guides made me feel at ease. I had visited in the month of May three European countries. I felt Railtours was the best one. The guides in- training were very helpful and friendly as well. The view of the Cliffs Of Mohr were breathtaking and the various towns that we drove thru did not disappoint as well. I was called the "little photographer'" Thanks so very much to all of the team and I will recommend Railtours to all my friends here in America.

Visited May 2012