“Exciting journey to the prehistory of Ireland”
Review of Mary Gibbons Tours

Mary Gibbons Tours
Ranked #26 of 291 Tours in County Dublin
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

The places we visited were very interesting, and Mary is a really kind guide who shares all her knowledge in a pedagogical way. She keeps the people's interest during the whole trip, and also she is a close person who makes you feel well all the time. I will repeat without hesitation.

1  Thank telinva
in 51 reviews
"booked this tour"
in 19 reviews

Reviewed 5 September 2018

I was told that a tour to Newgrange and Tara is a must when you are in Ireland. I was very lucky that Mary Gibbons had a space at short notice. And I am very glad I did it (with this operator). It was the highlight of my visit to Ireland (alongside the city of Dublin in itself).
Excellent tour guide. Very knowledgeable. Great stories and background information.
And the price is very reasonable, too.
So, highly recommend.

1  Thank Thomas_S_Vienna
Reviewed 5 September 2018 via mobile

This was my third day trip in 4 days. But it felt more relaxed. Pickup time was a little later and the ride did not seem as frantic. Mary is a wealth of knowledge about Dublin, it's historical characters, and has a subtle sense of humor that I found endearing. She got off the bus with us at The Hill of Tara and gave us some pretty detailed history about the site. Then we had a good bit of time to wonder the site and see the things she told us about. Back on the bus and we headed through Slane to Newgrange. As a UNESCO World Heritage Site, they are controlling who goes in and out, so Mary waits in the visitor center while we get driven out to the actual site and given a tour by Newgrange staff, including entry into the passages themselves. The trip back, Mary kept us entertained. I left the tour bus with a big grin on my face. Highly recommend.

1  Thank BartonJ5
Reviewed 26 August 2018

The trip was a wonderful day trip to Tara with a stop for lunch at a quaint working farm with a delicious assortment of fresh lunch items. The Trip concluded with a skip the line viewing of Newgrange, a breathtaking view of ancient Irish burial customs and leadership stretching back before the building of the Pyramids in Europe or even Stonehenge in England. It was an impressive reconstruction with a wonderful archaeological guide to take us into the tomb and explain the history and reverence for the sun. Following that was a trip to the visitors center which had even more historical insights. Combine this with a trip to the Archaeological Museum in Dublin, and you begin to see how advanced the civilization truly was. Well worth the time and money, as entry to Newgrange will get harder and harder in the coming years.

1  Thank Lisa P
See more reviews
Reviewed 21 August 2018

Mary Gibbons is an absolute treasure of a tour guide. She knows more history than most university history departments puts together, but tells the naughtier stories along with the nice ones. Poets broke and drunk, who didn't get along with whom, all the gossip that was so juicy people haven't stopped telling it. Along with the important stuff, of course--*why* the Battle of Boyne mattered in all European history, why Tara existed and, more interestingly, how was Irish society in that day organized. She makes it all come alive.

Not to mention the special treatment. Guaranteed admission into Newgrange in our own private group, our own private showing of the video in the Visitor's Center, even our own private lunch in the cafe at a private farm (with adorable animals--I held a baby chick!) I cannot imagine a better day. I'm only sorry that Mary doesn't do other tours as well--I'd sign up for every single one!

2  Thank Shariann L