“Nice break”
Review of The Abbey Hotel

The Abbey Hotel
Ranked #6 of 7 Hotels in Donegal Town
Reviewed 2 March 2012

I didnt know what to think when i booked the abbey it was a great price but to my surprise it was great food excellent staff great and met a lot of nice people who had nothing but good to say about the hotel i will be making a return trip to the hotel the only thing i dont like is people smoking out the front of the hotel i think they have an area out the back of the hotel for smoking i think it takes of look of such a good hotel but this is just mine and my wifes opinion but i will still go back thanks for the great break thankyou..

• Stayed: February 2012

Reviewed 2 March 2012

I had often walked past this hotel and because it was right on the street I never gave it a second look other than to decide I wouldn't stay there. However, I did stay there recently for two nights on their special offer and what a surprise. The staff were lovely, so helpful. When you step inside the hotel reception it is very different to how you imagine it to be. It is actually quite grand. The room we were in had been recently decorated and was indeed very pleasant. The only thing I would say is that the room would benefit from some light wood furniture because the present furniture is dark it darkens the room a bit. Also the curtains are a bit dated and something plain would look better. The bed was very comfortable and the room was spotlessly clean. The bathroom was lovely too, and again spotlessly clean. In that respect I couldn't fault the Hotel. The dining room was lovely and the food was divine, the staff in the dining room were very nice and very helpful, nothing was too much trouble for them. I liked the layout of the dining room. The food was sooooo good, my husband and i ate there on both nights of our stay. It was a good varied menu and the food was delicious. The breakfast each morning was a delight. All very clean and perfectly cooked, good quality food and cooked properly. Again there was a good variety of cereal, fruit juices and of course the good old irish cooked breakfast. I would definately go back again and will not judge a book by its cover in the future. There was plenty going on in the hotel, and plenty of time to people watch while sitting in reception. It was well worth the money and I will go back and stay there I really enjoyed it. Big thumbs up to the Abbey Hotel in Donegal town Ireland.

Room Tip: choose a room overlooking the river.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank magspreshur
Reviewed 22 February 2012

If you want to stay in the north west of Ireland, and you do not want to pay excessive hotel bills but have a comfortable room and feel welcomed then this hotel is a no-brainer. The breakfast is excellent and not rushed, you have untill 10 am to turn up for it and you can eat as much cereal and freshly cooked fried as you like.
All the staff are very friendly and it would be wrong for me to pick out one for special attention, they really are that good. The rooms are nice and clean, warm and comfortable. The only negative being the old tv's and snowy picture at times, but hey, thats just really the only complaint you could have, so unless you particularly want to stay in your room all of your stay and watch telly then it should be no problem.
You also have use of the facilities in the Central Hotel a few yards down the road, so if you fancy a swim and sauna then you can for no extra cost !
I would like to take this opportunity to thank all the staff for the times I have stayed, could not have asked for a better service.

Room Tip: If you are staying on a Saturday night then ask for a room away from the noise !
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 21 February 2012

We ate in the restaurant on the Sunday before Valentine's night. There was a special offer for €50 for two 3-course meals and a bottle of wine. The wine was very good and the food was excellent and included duck and steak as well as many other choices. The desert selection was buffet style and god a second visit! Would highly recommend the Market House Restaurant of the Abbey hotel

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 February 2012

I travel to all parts of Ireland on business and can safely say that the Abbey offers possibly the best value for money in Ireland. So much so that I try to plan my visits so as I can end up staying in Donegal!!! What you have to bear in mind (having read the reviews) is that you will not get five star surroundings for three star prices. My feelings are that the more important issues are whether the staff offered good service and made you welcome and are the facilities clean, comfortable and in working order? I have stayed at far more expensive hotels that have offered less. Every time I stay here I find the staff to be friendly and more helpful than they need be. I have also been more than happy with the quality and value of the food on offer and the standard of the furniture in the rooms. I have always found the beds to be very comfortable as well. If you are looking to find fault.......then I'm sure that you will. How many people need a mini bar in their room for instance? If you have a problem with bringing your luggage from the close at hand car park, then you can always park, or double park outside the hotel (as I have done inthe past) offload your luggage, collect the free parking ticket from reception and then park your car. Yes, I can say that I am looking forward to my next stay at this marvelous hotel...................and before you ask the question, the answer is NO the hotel did not pay me to post these comments.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a view and (if available) you will get one.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled on business
12.8 km away
Sandhouse Hotel
Sandhouse Hotel
#1 of 1 in Rossnowlagh

Been to The Abbey Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK