“Great stay”

Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork
Ranked #15 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 13 April 2012

The best asset of this hotel is the night porter don. He really looked after our group that stayed at the hotel. Would stay at this hotel for this reason alone if going back to cork.

• Stayed: April 2012

Reviewed 13 April 2012

My partner and I were looking for a Easter getaway and, based on the reviews and photos, decided that the Ambassador would be the ideal destination. The hotel itself is outside of the city centre up on a hill, and it is about a 10 minute walk down the hill to the centre. This is not a problem for fit individuals, however for the elderly or those with kids it is not ideal as the hill is quite steep in parts. The staff in the hotel was very polite upon arrival and the first impression of the hotel was very good. We decided to have dinner in the hotel the first night, and ended up quite disappointed. The food itself was ok, but the service was lacking a bit and we ended up sitting in front of our empty plates for about 45 minutes and had to walk up to the bar to pay in the end.

The general decor of the rooms is fine and we had a lovely view down onto Cork and the surrounding  countryside. However, the quality of the beds is awful and I have never had a worse night sleep in a "luxury hotel". The pillows were so hard it felt like we were sleeping on bricks and the walls are so thin that one can hear everything next door gets up to. We were also shocked to find a needle& thread stuck in one of the face towels one morning, thankfully my partner saw it before he wiped his face - otherwise he could have lost an eye or injured himself. When I went to reception to show them the needle & thread attached to the towel, the staff blamed it onto a third party and then brushed me off with a simple "sorry about that" - the way this situation was handled was totally unacceptable. If injury would have occurred they could have faced a law suit, yet the staff did not seem to think the hotel had any responsibility and did not feel the need to apologise in a proper manner.

On our last day we decided to use the health club facilities, which basically consist of a small gym, an out of order steam room, a sauna and a rather dirty Jacuzzi. It is evident that the facilities do not get cleaned on a regular basis, and we were greeted by two used plasters lying on the floor next to the Jacuzzi.

This hotel prides itself as a luxury hotel and, whilst lovely in its first appearance with (some) friendly/professional staff, it simply does not live up to 'luxury' hotel level.

• Stayed: April 2012
1  Thank Joolie83
Chris C, General Manager at Ambassador Hotel & Health Club Cork, responded to this reviewResponded 14 April 2012

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting a review of our hotel following on from your stay here ay The Ambassador Hotel. I was disappointed to read these comments, as i feel they do not reflect a typical stay here at the hotel, based on our many positive reviews. I respect your review and I I take these comments as very serious and will investigate them thoroughly. I recieved the comment card from the room which is identical to this review, and let me assure you I was acting on the issues raised before this review.
I would never try to defend poor service or standards in our hotel, as I know they are unacceptable, however I would have loved the opportunity to speak with you before you left or would have like the option of making your stay more comfortable whilst you were here. No hotel is perfect, but we pride ourselves on reacting to issues quickly, and professionally.

If you would like to discuss this in more detail with me, I would appreciate the chance,

Thank you again for posting this review,

Chria Crowley
021 4539000

Reviewed 11 April 2012

This hotel is billed as being 4 star. Now, I'm not sure how often the inspectors come around to make sure the hotels are still of that standard but this hotel, I suspect, may have been awarded that rating some time in the late 70s. It has a "health club" but this doesn't include a pool. There's a very small gym and when I went to check it out, there was nobody manning the reception desk for it. The hotel is in an old building which is very nice and full of character. However, if you're going to go for the old world look, you don't have to go for the shabby look. The artwork on the walls was very bland and the standard of decor in general is poor. Mis-matched chairs, chipped paint on radiators, etc. Myself and my husband, after checking in, decided to have a drink in the hotel's bar. It was completely dead. There was just the barmaid and some people she was chatting to. The staff were very nice though and we got a great friendly welcome from April at reception. As to our room, the paint did need to be touched up and the bath was a bit grimey looking with a strange green stain running down it. There was no flat screen tv which I would think is fairly standard for a 4 star hotel. The quality of the toiletries was very poor. The shampoo seemed very cheap and again, not of 4 star standard. The location of the hotel is ok. There's lots of parking and it takes about 15 mintues to walk to the city centre. We were comfortable here for our stay. The room was larger than in most modern hotels and we had a nice view of the city. We only had breakfast in the hotel and not dinner as we wanted to try Cork's restaurants and the atmosphere didn't seem great in the hotel in the evening. I think it may be more of an older person's choice. Even though the hotel was a bit lacking in style, we just found this funny really and we did enjoy our stay.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple

Dear reviewer,

Thank you for posting your review following on from your stay, I am sorry you did not find our decor to your satisfaction, we feel it fits in with the style of building.
We have some nice renovation plans happening this month and beyond in 2012, which include the upgrade of our televisions, so should you return I would hope you would see an improvement. Our grading as a hotel is based on facilities offered to guests for the price we charge, and I am happy to say we are delivering on these standards to the requirements set out by Failte Ireland. Do we get it right 100% of the time, unfortunately not, but we will continue to strive to be as best as we can. I am glad you still managed to enjoy your time with us, hopefully you will visit again,

Reviewed 10 April 2012

I stayed here on a business trip to cork recently. I was greeted by the reception staff who were friendly and helpful. My room was on the second floor, was facing the front of the hotel and had a balcony with a great view of Cork, its a bit high up so not for those with vertigo! great view though. i didnt eat at the hotel, instead choosing to have dinner in town each evening. the hotel was easy to find and i got a very good rate. the hotel was generally very quiet, even with christmas parties going on every evening i was there, although it seemed to be all the older generation and they were a quieter bunch!

• Stayed: December 2011, travelled on business

Dear reviwer,

Thank you for posting this positive review of The Ambassador Hotel in Cork, following your stay with us. I am delighted you had a comfortable undisturbed night in the htoel. We hope to welcome you back to our hotel again.

Reviewed 8 April 2012

We were two friends travelling a weekend in Dublin. We found this hotel which is located only a few minutes from O'Connell Street - one of the main streets of Dublin.

We arrived from the airport with bus - both bus 16A and bus 747 stops in the vicinity of the hotel. This was very convenient.

The hotel staff was friendly, the room was clean and we also got a spacious room. Some parts of the hotel was a little worn down. DUring our stay we had to request some help for some minor adjustments in our room and the staff did this very fast and to our satisfaction. The overall impression of the hotel was good.

For us it gave great value for money, it was close to main attractions, shopping areas and several bus stops. To walk to Grafton street it took approx 20 min.

It was possible to store our luggage at the hotel and our impression was that the staff took good care of the luggage - it looked safe.

We recommend the hotel.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled with friends

Dear reviewer,

I am delighted you had a nice stay at this hotel, and i hope you enjoyed your time in Ireland. This review unfortunately is for another hotel in Dublin, but please feel free to visit us in Cork the next time you are in Ireland.