“cheep and cheerful” 3 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #21 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Belfast, United Kingdom
“cheep and cheerful”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

we stayed here for my boyfriends graduation, got it for very cheap which I was pleased about its good value for money, not the best hotel in the world and very basic and plain but it was only somewhere to sleep, beds are very comfy rooms are clean enough we arrived at 10pm due to traveling from Belfast and the room was freezing as there was no heating on but once I turned the radiator on it was warm within a few hours bit of a pain but nothing to get to upset about, the staff where terrible, rude cheeky and lazy, the doors are locked about midnight and the staff are ment to buzz you in, took a member of staff about a minute to actually let me in after pressing the doorbell because he was too busy chatting to his friend, not very good when it's freezing outside you expect a decent service not rubbish staff, the manager seariously needs to do some sacking, that's the only bad side overall stay was pleasant and considering the price it was a bargain. also alot of people mentioned the smell of the hotel it does smell quite bad

• Stayed February 2012
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
JanisLazdans, Manager at Travelodge Cork Airport, responded to this review, 25 February 2012
Dear Stacie,

Thank you for taking time to write your review about our hotel!

While I’m glad that in general you enjoyed your stay, your comments regarding staff and the smell are slightly worrying! Could you please contact me at the hotel directly with your stay details so I can check who was working that night?

The reason to lock the door during the night is for security reasons to ensure that only registered guests are entering the hotel as visiting hours are until 11pm. If the night receptionist was dealing with another guest at the time, that would explain why you had to wait a minute to be buzzed in.
Also – it is not the outside door that is being locked during the night rather than the inside door, which means you wouldn’t exactly be standing outside while waiting to be allowed in.

I would appreciate if you could contact me with the details of your stay!

janis.lazdans@travelodge.ie
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (54)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 February 2012

We stay in a lot of Travelodges all around England, this was our 1st in Ireland and was we dissapointed! The staff were RUDE and could not be bothered to help us! We put the cold tap on in the room and the water came out brown, my husband went to reception to tell them and the staff come in and looked and said "oh dear i'll call the council about it" didnt offer us another room and when we asked to be put in another room they said no! There was no heating in there at all so it was like an ice box, and in the middle of the night I could heqar people talking in the next room like they were in the sam room i was in as the walls are so thin! There was woodlice in the bathroom just walking about as it was so damp in the room! The staff were too rude and because we complained they asked us to leave. Think twice about staying here its a dive so so dirty and poor staffing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
JanisLazdans, Manager at Travelodge Cork Airport, responded to this review, 16 February 2012
Dear Guest,

It is unfortunate that you did not enjoy your stay with us and that you had to write such an untrue review about the hotel.

As soon as your husband informed me about the discoloration of the water, I went to check other rooms to see if it was just your room or the whole hotel that was affected.
Upon checking several other rooms in different areas of the hotel it turned out it was the whole hotel. The discolored water was only coming out of the cold taps – hot water was clear, this meant that the problem was not within the hotel rather than the main supply.
This is when we rang the Cork County Council’s Water Services Department to find out why is this happening.
They responded to our call very promptly and a representative arrived at the hotel within 5-10 minutes.
It turned out that some company was using water supply from nearby fire hydrant – this caused the water pressure to rise significantly and in turn water to discolor. He assured me that there was no health hazards associated with this discoloration.
Access to the fire hydrant was unauthorized and the company using it will receive a fine.
Afterwards the water tank was emptied by flushing water in all vacant rooms and the water was clear again – this took no longer than 45 minutes.

All heaters in guest bedrooms are fully adjustable to suit each guest’s needs in regards to heat. If you didn’t know how to switch it on or adjust it, all you have to do is ask at the reception which is manned 24h a day.

In regards to your comments about rudeness of staff – I can assure you there was nothing of sorts happening as I was in the hotel myself on the day of your arrival, the next day and also on the morning of your departure. Staff was always polite and tried to inform your husband regarding the water situation as soon as they had more information.
As a matter of fact it was your husband who was rude towards our staff and me – he raised his voice on numerous occasions when I or my colleague tried to explain to him what was happening; he was also calling me names at one stage.
You requested room change because you didn’t want to drink the water in the room you were checked in. I explained (or should I say – tried to explain) to you and your husband that there was no point for you to change your room because the hotel has one main water supply and it would be exactly the same water you would be drinking in any other room (let me remind you – the representative from County Council confirmed that there was no health hazard associated with the discoloration of the water).
At no point any of the staff asked you and your husband to leave the hotel – it was your husband who wanted to get a refund and requested that I find him another hotel. I had no problems to do that but he then changed his mind.

We appreciate all feedback from our customers – both positive and negative – but reviews that are untrue are really unnecessary and very discouraging!

Regards,
Janis

Travellers are raving about these Cork hotels

Waterford, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 January 2012

Great value for money, friendly and efficient staff and everything you need for a pit stop. Room was clean apart from carpet which most definately was not hoovered. One side of the bed was very saggy and had me a bit sore when I woke next morning so sooner rather than later some of the older beds will have to be replaced.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
JanisLazdans, Manager at Travelodge Cork Airport, responded to this review, 6 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to review our hotel!

Thank you for your kind works regarding our staff – they have always been our greatest asset!

I am glad that you found our hotel to be value for money as we offer all you need for a peaceful night’s sleep. We recently (29/12/2011) launched our Winter Sale – rooms from €19.00 if you require further accommodation!

I am a little bit concerned though regarding your comments about the carpet and the bed. I would really appreciate if you could contact me at the hotel directly and provide further information as I am currently unaware of any broken beds?
In the last year our hotel underwent am extensive refurbishment and the carpets were replaced in most bedrooms. Also most of the beds were upgraded from Double to King size and I’m sure the remaining beds and carpets will be replaced this year.

Once again – thank you for taking time to review our hotel as we can never improve unless we hear feedback from our customers – both positive and negative!

janis.lazdans@travelodge.ie
london
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2012

I was planning to arrive this hotel on 30th Dec on late flight from London with my elderly and infirm Mother. Unfortunately due to my mothers GP stating she was not fit to travel I had to cancel the trip - there was no concession from the hotel who insisted on charging me according to their terms and conditions

Greedy company that insists on profiteering even through the misfortune of others

• Stayed December 2011, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
JanisLazdans, Manager at Travelodge Cork Airport, responded to this review, 20 January 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your time to write a review.

Your reservation was made on our own website where all the cancellation policies are clearly stated in Terms & Conditions! In your case (flexible rate) cancellation is 12 noon on the day of arrival.

Your card was charged at the time of booking, but because the reservation was cancelled after 5pm on the day of arrival, unfortunately we cannot process a refund.

I do hope that your mother will get well soon!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 December 2011

rooms were dirty, never cleaned or vacuum carpets and location was not good far from busstops

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
JanisLazdans, Manager at Travelodge Cork Airport, responded to this review, 23 December 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking time to write your review!

I am disappointed to see that your stay with us hasn’t been as enjoyable as it should have been!

I am also surprised regarding your comments about our room cleanliness as all rooms are being serviced daily by housekeeping staff! Is it possible that “Do not Disturb” sign was left on your door handle?

There is a bus stop for city centre bus approx. 5-10 walking from our hotel. Buses operate every 10-15 minutes.

Please contact me directly if you would like to discuss any of the issues!