“Brilliant hotel and staff”
Review of Imperial Hotel

Imperial Hotel
Ranked #11 of 23 Hotels in Cork
Reviewed 28 April 2012

I stayed in the hotel recently to go to a friends birthday party. As I was was waiting a while to be checked in as what looked like a hen party was booking, I ended up been asked if I wished to be upgraded for €40 euro extra as my room would be near where the hen party was. I was delighted about this, we got a fabolous room with wine included, huge spacious luxury room. My boyfriend and I thought it was wonderful. We decided to have a meal in the restaurant before heading to the party, the meal was delightful, had steaks cooked to perfection. The service was the best we have had in a long time and we travel a lot. Even the manager Joe I think his name was who is a Cork native came to our table and asked how our meal was and gave us directions to our party, he gave us info on places to go while in cork the next day, and if we had a late night we could get a late checkout. I found the place so welcoming and like home away from home. The staff were great and so was the food. It was definately worth the extra money for an upgrade and we felt like royalty, I can trully see now why the Queen visited cork, she should stay in the Imperial the next time she comes over.I would definately stay here any time I visit cork again.Well done guys.

Room Tip: Go for an upgrade, you deserve it.
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Mary K
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
There are newer reviews for Imperial Hotel

Reviewed 27 April 2012

Hotel has an excellent location and is good value, but hotel could be a lot better than it is. The staff dont meet standards, not friendly. The restaurant staff are getting a lot better and the management is very helpful, but otherwise disappointing.

Hotel is old and is looking it's age. The standard rooms need a lot of updating. The food quality is getting better but still needs improvement. And parking is a nightmare. Hotel parking is 5-10minute walk away, and does not feel safe at night.

Best to avoid also during jazz weekend, any wedding or events on in hotel, much too noisy. At night as well coming back the staff lock the door and greet guest extremely unpleasantly and almost criminally. A stay here can be hit or miss.

Room Tip: Rooms to the front are bigger but nosier, also older.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Global Nomad I
Reviewed 27 April 2012

We were on a quick overnight stay only. On arrival at the hotel I asked to be upgraded to a superior room. Unfortunately, on arrival at our room I noticeda terrible odour in the room. It had obviously been cleaned but the smell was overwhelming (like dirty socks!). I immediately rang Reception and asked to be changed to another room. The Concierge came to our room. He was very friendly and agreed there was a bad odour in the room. He showed us several other rooms available - which were much nicer than the room we had first been allocated. What a pity they didn't do that in the first place! First impressions do last unfortunately. Other than that the hotel was fine. There was a SPA at the hotel but we didn't have time to use it. Bed was very comfortable and breakfast was fantastic.

Room Tip: Rooms on 3rd Floor are Executive Rooms and in a quieter location than those on the 1st floor which w...
Reviewed 25 April 2012

I booked this hotel for a weekend break with my wife, included (superior room)two nights B&B and one evening meal the third night was free no breakfast. What they failed to state in their offer that the dinner was not from the A la Carte menu you were only allowed 20%. I had the fish cake which consisted of mainly potato with green leaves a tasteless experience. For the main I had the sea-bass which was bland and flavorless, with vegetables some hard others just overcooked. I cant believe that this meal was allowed out any respected chefs kitchen. The breakfast was fine no issues here. The free Wifi only worked for a few hours,I got no satisfaction from reception they stated it was my PC, it wasn't. On the second night loud music woke me up at around 12:00 it continued on until 02:30 ( the glass on the table was vibrating it was so loud) and then you could hear signing until 03:30. Got no satisfaction again from reception just apologies, checked out of the hotel on second day wont be back.

Room Tip: Ask for a room thats if sound proof., and away from A/C units and looking out on roof tops. If you h...
2  Thank AmpedAF
ImperialCork, General Manager at Imperial Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 April 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I would like to apologise for our shortcomings during your recent stay with us in particular for the poor bedroom experience you had to endure. I assure you that this is not the normal standard that we strive to deliver to our guests.

I hope that this will not deter you from returning to us as I know we can do better than this but on this occassion we failed to deliver. When you are returing to Cork please email at jkennedy@imperialhotelcork.ie so I can personally handle your reservation.

Our apologies again and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial Hotel.

regards

Joe Kennedy

Reviewed 24 April 2012

We stayed here for 4 days and while the location is great, the hotel is most certainly not!

Our first annoyance was the fact that the car park was a 10 minute walk away, which I paid €8 per day for the pleasure of walking to. Then we checked in which was a pleasant enough affair, that is until I arrive in our room. The room, on the second floor, can only be described as an after-thought in the construction of the hotel. It was a corner room, terribly small, with a tiny window facing there other side of the hotel and over-looking air-conditioning units. There was, for added smallness, a load bearing wall stuck in the middle of our room, which cut the room in two and made it seem smaller still. you can be assured that we only stayed in our room for the minimum of time. The bathroom was of a generous size, complete with black mold on the walls and grout of the bath.

To over come our claustrophobia, I inquired about using the steam room in the spa, which looked great on the hotels website. I was informed, by reception, that it cost €18 per stay per guest, this charge was simply to use the steam rooms/Jacuzzi area not any treatment and to make things worse one has to book into use a steam room!
I have never, in all the hotels I have stayed in, had to pay to use the steam rooms or Jacuzzi. I complained to the manager that it was completely unacceptable to flog the sap as an amenity and then charge for the use of it and we got a complimentary pass to use the facilities for the day.
We used the facilities and it was not worth €18 each! There were no dressing robes in the gents changing room. The showers in the gents changing room had no hot water and 1 of 2 of the showers were broken, so we had to take it in turns to shower! very relaxing!
I informed the staff of this, however it was still broken on the next day we used them. also, the steam rooms were cold, with no steam! I informed the staff and the steam was then turned on.

Over-all it was a terribly disappointing stay, if I wanted to stay in a supermarket hotel, I would have checked into a Jury's, however I chose a 4 star for a reason. Unfortunately this hotel is certainly NOT a 4 star, this hotel has a pretty entrance hall and facade, that is it!

Room Tip: Apparently rooms facing the road (South Mall) are nice!
4  Thank john k

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.

I would like to apologise for our shortcomings during your recent stay for the number of frustrations you encountered while staying with us. I assure you that this is not the picture I want to paint of the Imperial Hotel to any guest but on this occassion one negative experience was followed by another.

Your comments have been taken on board and the room you stayed in has been recently refurbished in our ongoing bedroom refurbishment programme. The maintanance issues in the spa area have been fixed just after your visit there as the areas you mentioned experienced breakdowns during your time there.

I would love for you to return to the Imperial Hotel when you next visit Cork next so you experience our new bedroom and a maintenance free shower room and steam room. Please email me directly on jkennedy@imperialhotelcork.ie.

We look forward to welcoming you back to the Imperial Hotel and to showing you a more enjoyable experience.

regards