“Loads of lunch by the canal”

Bridge 49 Cafe Bar & Bistro
Ranked #9 of 53 Restaurants in Linlithgow
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 23 July 2017 via mobile

Treated my sister to lunch at a place of choosing, and she certainly chose well. It's as well to book ahead as it was fairly busy (Saturday lunchtime on a wet Scottish "summer" day) but all members of staff found time to be pleasant and attentive. The surroundings are lovely too - local artwork on display and for sale around a light, airy building with lots of glass through which you can enjoy watching life to by at the canal's slow pace outside.
As for the food, we shared a haggis fritter and salad starter, and both of us felt we'd already had a meal by then! That didn't stop me finding room for a highly recommended minute stake and haggis burger (but of a haggis theme to the menu). Sis had a nice looking fish and chips. I found the v-cut chips intriguing - and very tasty. Time beat us otherwise I feel sure I would have yielded to the temptations of the dessert menu - well it was all part of a two or three course lunch offer which was more likely to damage the waistline than the wallet. Next time hopefully...

Reviewed 21 July 2017 via mobile

Visited here on a lovely sunny day with my husband and had the dog with us so sat outside.

We got the cheeseburger and chips and oh my god they were delicious!! The chips are among the tastiest we have ever had. Thanks to the chef's 'special knife' they are cut into an elongated v shape and, not saying that does anything to the flavour, but they were out of this world!

Friendly and efficient staff and a lovely position on the canal. Not too pricey either.

I would recommend it!

1  Thank MrsD191011
Reviewed 13 July 2017

A great place to stop for drinks or food. On a nice day sitting outside next to the canal is so peaceful. So much better than another place on the canal claiming to be a bistro. Friendly service and reasonable prices. We have been several times before and the place is consistantly good.

Reviewed 10 July 2017

I was sorely dissapointed, having ordered lunch, around 2 o clock, whilst eating, staff decided to re arrange the furniture and sweep the floors around us, prompting my daughter to ask if they were closing soon, to be told no we don't close till 5pm...I had the haggis burger, this was very disappointing, placed on a dry Brioche bun, with a sde of peppercorn sauce which had obviously been lying in wait as it had formed a skin on top, the burger had the texture of what I imagine eating a dogs rubber ball to be like...my grandaughter had a dirty spoon at her place on the table and when asked to change it the waitress proceeded to pass the clean spoon over me and my food on the table, whilst there was ample room to go to my grandaughter on her side of the table, furniture re arranged and only us left in the cafe, the staff sat to have a pow wow about business, this left us feeling awkward and in the way, eventually I asked for my bill, it was left on the table for me, I left payment and around 4 pounds of a tip, as I left no one said thankyou, no one said goodbye, my daughter enjoyed what she had to eat, but like me felt very dissapointed with the atmosphere and cleaning going on around us....very dissapointed, won't be back or recommend, our bill for the experience was 48 pound odds....

2  Thank Elaine M
Reviewed 9 July 2017

Enjoyed lunch at Bridge 49. Excellent 2 course deal provides really good value for money. Service was good and friendly and nothing was a problem. Some lovely walks in the area through the country park. If I'm in the area i would certainly return to Bridge 49 and I would highly recommend.