“Rabbie Burns charms the lads and woos the lassies”

Walkabout Auld Ayr Town
Ranked #1 of 6 Tours in Ayr
More attraction details
Owner description: Would you not like to see where the 1st Scottish Parliement was held in 1315, where the last Witch in Ayr was burned , where the covenanters are burried, and where Tam o' Shanter & Soutter Johnnie used to meet after a long hard day at the market to celebrate their long friendship and the monies they had lost and made. in the world famous Tam o Shanter Inn.Donalds award winning tours , take you in the foot steps of Robert Burns , Se where he was born , where he farmed , ate drank slept , & socialised . Trace his footsteps with Donald dressed as the Bard himself , hear the tales listen to the poetry and see the beautiful countryside There is a lot more to Ayr than the Beach & Butlins
Scotland, United Kingdom
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 520 helpful votes
“Rabbie Burns charms the lads and woos the lassies”
Reviewed 3 February 2010

On the eve of Robert Burns birthday a bunch of us found ourselves checking out the fabulous new renovations and refurbishments at Burns Cottage in the poet's birthplace of Alloway. There was an afternoon of Burns themed entertainment going on and the village main street was closed off to traffic.

Our stay was all too brief and I missed some of the highlights, but I did catch Walkabout Tour Guide Donald in action. He was dressed as the Bard himself and thoroughly inhabiting the role of the famous poet and charmer; entertaining the lads and wooing the lassies. There wasn't a face in the crowd that wasn't wearing a smile as 'Rabbie' spoke and held centre stage. I can quite understand why he is now in demand at weddings too; Oh my love is like a red, red rose......

I'd like to take one of his walking tours around Auld Ayr Town or Alloway Village some day. I have yet to be in the right place at the right time, though I bet they are a hoot. I can highly recommend a visit to Burn's Cottage which is run by National Trust for Scotland. Hopefully Donald still does his costumed Walkabout tour of Burns Heritage Park in Alloway that incorporates a visit to Burns Cottage. The right sort of guide can really bring history alive. Well done.

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Holburn
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“walkabout Ayr”
Reviewed 31 August 2009

We went on one of Donald's Tours around Ayr in July 2009 and we found this a wonderful experience as he so looks like Rabbie Burns. He as a great sense of humour tells some great tales about the bard and the history of Ayr. A good few hours of fun. from the Mackies of Berwick-upon-tweed

1 Thank HOLBURN
Ayr
“Fantastic day with Rabbie (Donald)”
Reviewed 15 August 2009

Having lived in Ayr all my life I wanted to give my visiting friends a tour of my beautiful town.... I can't thank Donald enough for the fantastic day and the information of my birth town that I never knew.
Donald's enthusium for Ayrshire and everything Burns is infectious, we all had a most wonderful time.

Thank you Donald.

Kindest regards
Archie

Sutherland
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“WHAT A SURPRISE!!”
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Not our usual Holiday type of entertainement but wow what have we been missing just the best way to spend a couple of hours great crack and banta never thought Ayr and Burns could be so interesting Mr Kay should be on TV spreading the word he could boost Scottish tourisim single handedly.

east ayrshire
“Burns' spirit lives in Donald”
Reviewed 13 August 2009

Great day out and very informative, I almost thought I was with Robert Burns at one point, Donald's relaxed delivery had us eager to find out more about the "Ayrshire Bard"