“Welcoming, Friendly Pub”

The Wee Windaes
Ranked #49 of 207 Restaurants in Ayr
Cuisines: British
Reviewed 30 August 2016

After a wet, disastrous day out of missing buses and without getting to where I had planned, I visited this pub to pass time until the next bus home. The welcome received was lovely and the atmosphere was good. Sadly I did not have time to have a bite to eat, but on my next visit to Ayr I most certainly will drop in and have lunch. Thanks for cheering up a disappointing day.

1  Thank evehols

Reviewed 29 August 2016 via mobile

Just wanted a quick lunchas I was on my own. Seating is quite cramped. I had the steak pie. It was nice staff were okay. Would not go there for a special lunch

1  Thank Elizabeth M
Reviewed 22 July 2016 via mobile

My boyfriend and I visit this pub most Tuesday nights, it's always a lovely atmosphere, due to the owners grand daughter and the owner himself. The most friendly pub in town

2  Thank Susan P
Reviewed 21 July 2016

we nipped in on a Saturday evening and the staff (mother and daughter) were really friendly. the prices were reasonable and we easily found a space at the bar. service was excellent and this is a wee pub well worth the visit. I've previously been in on a bust Saturday afternoon and service during the busy period was good too.

2  Thank youngronnie8
Reviewed 15 July 2016 via mobile

Tried to go in here today with a group of adults with learning needs. I say tried; we were told in no uncertain terms by the man at the door that we would not be served coffees unless we bought food. An absolute disgrace.

1  Thank Meeklymilli
Odette L, Manager at The Wee Windaes, responded to this reviewResponded 18 July 2016

Hi Meeklymilli,

I'm afraid your review is grossly misleading - there is nothing "utterly disgusting" about not serving teas or coffees. So I find myself a bit confused.

Since we opened a very successful thirteen years ago - our policy has been we don't serve teas or coffees. That's our rule. We are a pub that serves drinks and good homemade pub food - we are not a coffee house nor do we proclaim to be. Occasionally, someone will ask for a cup of tea AFTER their lunch, and we will oblige with boiling the kettle and popping a teabag in a cup for them - that's as far as we go. As I said, we are not a café nor a coffee house.

We don't serve scones or cakes, or cappuccinos or lattes - but the FIVE other coffee houses on our street do, I would suggest that the next time you're in the area you go there - instead of choosing to come into a pub. That serves drink.

It begs the question why you think it's acceptable to go into a pub that serves a vast array of drinks (beers; lagers; soft drinks; wine; spirits etc.) and DEMAND a coffee? Then write a scathing review when refused one?
Would you go to KFC and demand a big juicy steak burger then write on TripAdvisor that they're a disgrace for not making you one???

I trust this answers your review.
Thanks, Odette