Tontine Hotel
Kilcreggan Hotel(Kilcreggan)
  • Beachfront
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewslovely hotelpremier roompublic roomscocktail barfried eggssmall hotelhaggisblack puddingbreakfast was excellentold buildingfood was lovelystaff were very friendlytwo nightsvisiting familyenjoyable staybuffet stylebar area
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Having received such a poor service at another Greenock hotel for a funeral wake, I thought it only right to commend the Tontine hotel.

I have been to several wakes at the Tontine, the most recent was only last week.

There is someone to greet you and direct you to the relevant hall and tells you where the toilets are. On arrival in the hall you are welcomed with a soft drinks, wine or beer. There is always a reserved table for the main funeral party.

There is tea and coffee and on the tables, cake stands and sandwiches, which are plentiful.

All of the above is ready and waiting even if you arrive earlier than it was booked for.

Sausage rolls are brought out shortly after everyone has arrived. Tea and coffee is replenished often. They will make a separate sandwich platter with alternative desserts if you have allergies which is served within 10minutes, even if it wasn’t originally booked - just ask.

The staff are attentive, look smart and you are not rushed in any way. You can move to their other bars if you wish to stay longer than the hall is booked for. They cater for small/large functions and everyone is seated in the same hall and not separated, unlike some other hotels/function suites in the area.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family
1  Thank Lindsay M
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

What’s not to like! Very friendly staff, good sized rooms with the largest and most comfortable bed ever! The bathroom was spotless and well equipped. I’m easily pleased as long as it’s clean but I honestly could not fault this place.
There is a disabled lift from the main floor down to one level of bedrooms but the steps from the pavement up to the front door may be an issue for some unless there is another entrance I didn’t see.
The main dining room is huge and even has a minstrel gallery and stunning views.
I try to be honest and fair in my reviews and I couldn’t find any negatives for this one!
Well done guys!

Stayed: March 2018, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I have stayed at the Tontine Hotel on several occasions. Being a business traveller, I have found this hotel to be an excellent value for my Money. A clean room has always been a priority for me and they have never let me down. The bathrooms have all been refurbished to a high standard. The memory foam bed was new and comfortable. Not to be all one-sided ; the wallpaper, lighting and windows are all a bit dated. But clean sheets and towel made up for it.
I don’t normally criticize other feedback. The snow storm last weekend made the hotel extremely busy, they are a small hotel and I am sure they did the best they could with the small staff they had. I have been greeted by the manager Victoria on a few occasions. But I am sure the manager had been working 48 hours non-stop and was extremely tired for some niceties (however, I am sure some people do not agree with my excuse for her).
Breakfast was good. Also had dinner there a few weeks ago, it was also good.
Final comment, paid for 3 star, not a 5 star hotel, not a 5 star restaurant, got excellent value for my hard earned money. Definitely worth many repeat stays.

Room Tip: The Premier rooms are larger and have the nice high ceilings if you plan to spend time in your room working/playing, worth the extra £20.
  • Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank percychan2018
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

Stayed overnight due to snow, twin room with one pack of 3 Bourbon Biscuits for two people. The bed springs were poking through the mattress apart from that the room was clean. Our room was up the back stairs with several steps having the carpet falling off as a trip hazard.
No hot breakfast due to the weather the chef could not make it in, the this was understandable as most guests were holed up there for the same reason however the manager broke into a private conversation when another guest suggested a discount for this that we laughingly agreed in good humour the manager then began a rant asking had we seen the weather!!! Well yes that's why we are here it was then pointed out to her there was no managerial skills in her outburst.
Suggestions are it would have been nice and professional if this manager had greeted guests in the morning at the dining room door and explained due to circumstances there was no hot food then no one would have minded as as previous we were all in the same boat.
Although I'm sure the management on duty that day could have boiled some eggs

Stayed: March 2018, travelled on business
2  Thank holidayhat
Reviewed 14 March 2018 via mobile

This hotel is beautiful inside. There is a small bar are you walk in on the left of the reception and another more modern cocktail bar downstairs. Our room was clean and modern with tea and coffee facilities. The bathroom also felt like it had just been modernised. We booked in for bed and breakfast and had a full cooked breakfast in the morning. It was delicious.

Stayed: March 2018, travelled with family