All reviews bay hotel open door cooked breakfast scottish breakfast five minute walk old building would stay again steak pie family members room was large town centre business trip sharon bloke biccies gig modernisation
Reviewed 14 June 2018 via mobile

On a short notice business trip had to bring my dogs ,not only did they accommodate them ,the staff made them extremely welcome,all the staff were outstanding,the food was first class and I can't wait to stay again and get stuck in to the steak pie,a massive thank you see you soon

Stayed: June 2018, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 April 2018 via mobile

The staff in the hotel couldnt do enough for us especially Sharon. Room we got wasnt the greatest but there was no problem about been changed to a better room with lovely views. Breakfast was very nice and there was a variety of breakfast.

Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple
1  Thank doods26
Reviewed 29 April 2018

Stayed here when attending a party nearby. staff are friendly, and hotel is clean and tidy, good breakfast. I was in room 14, which unfortunately is beside the lift. Every time the lift is called it "pings". Seemed to be a lot of folk coming in late, ( past 3AM) and every time a new person came in, I was woken up. I'm sure if you were further from the lift it would be fine

Room Tip: Well away from lift
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled with friends
1  Thank SanJuan1968
Stephen M, Owner at Custom House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 30 April 2018

Thank you for your review. Yes room 14 is right next to the lift so unfortunately it can be heard from your room. The other rooms in the hotel are allot further away so the lift cant be heard. If you come stay with us again please feel free just ask for a particular room number. Room 10 and 18 are my favourites. The breakfast in the hotel is always cooked fresh and made to order.

Reviewed 18 April 2018 via mobile

Stayed on Tuesday 17th and was a bit alarmed by the reviews after I’d checked in. Anyhow the room (single bed - ages since I tried one of those!) was clean and equipped with coffee, tv, shower so not so bad. A slight sour smell but ok. Blackout blind plus curtains very effective but they might as well not have bothered as there was a fire alarm light in the room which was bright green! Odd but true, surely not a requirement?
I ate in the hotel and the fish and chips was really good £8.95 well spent. Beverley lager from Belgium very good so another tick.
I was a bit perturbed to see a live band setting up but actually this turned out to be just the ticket - it’s a standard Tuesday event and is a big band sound with saxophones, trombones trumpets etc. The spectators were really friendly and although Senior they wheeled around the dance floor like teenagers! I baled at 9pm and got my head down but was woken at 00.45 by other guests, aggravating and once awake struggled to sleep in the green light .
I was a bit tired when I woke but the shower proved more than up to the job before breakfasting. Again the food was fine so on balance I think at £42.50 B&B it merits 3 points, just frustrating that it is let down by a few simple to fix issues

Stayed: April 2018, travelled solo
1  Thank geofftheboss
Reviewed 17 April 2018

Stayed one night before visiting family in Greenock. When we arrived there was no one on reception and had to wait in the cocktail bar for 15 minutes until a staff member arrived. She seemed to be the only person working there and when she showed us to our room other people waiting had to wait. Room 9 was in the middle of the building with no view apart from the roof. very small pokey room with no matching furniture.Whoever decorated the room was certainly not a professional as the painting was very shoddy. The bedside light didnt work and 3 times someone came to the room to change the bulb but still couldn't get one that worked. During the evening from 7 pm until 11pm there was a jazz band playing right under our room, so an early night was out of the question. We actually considered checking out early due to the shambles. never slept a wink the whole night due to a very lumpy uncomfortable bed.
The breakfast the next day was tasty enough apart from the beans which looked like they were scraped off the bottom of the pan. The photos on the website are very misleading when looking at booking a room. In my experience of the hotel i wouldnt be staying there again.After complaining to the hotel about our experience via email and posting on their facebook page not ONE person has responded from the hotel.

Room Tip: simple dont book one.
  • Stayed: April 2018, travelled as a couple