All reviews west end hotel room was clean traditional hotel bit dated an evening meal high street peaks challenge pleasant stay town centre single room ben nevis loch fort scott receptionist niggle drawers
Reviewed 29 August 2018

We were looking forward to an overnight stay at this hotel after a short back - packing trip. Our stay was far from enjoyable. Within half an hour of checking in the noise from the extremely ugly extractor pipe outside the window was so loud and a very annoying whining sound from the radiator prevented any rest and in fact woke me during the night at 3 am despite being assured it wouldn't be running during the night. The room was certainly not worth £113 and we would have been charged £10:50 per person for breakfast. Thank goodness for Morrisons and Wetherspoons who made our stay more affordable. The rooms were dated which would not have been a problem if the price reflected this.

Room tip: Do not accept room 33 - most ugly view I have seen
  • Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Heritage M, General Manager at Muthu Fort Williams Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2018

Dear Kim,
Thank you for your review, and please accept my apologies that your stay was less than perfect. We do strive to make sure that all of our guests are happy with their stay, and I am sorry that your stay was not up to our usual standard. I am however grateful that you have brought some of the issues to my attention. The whining sound from the radiators have now been rectified and I will continue to make sure that the kitchen switches off the extractor fan at around 9pm every evening. Again my sincere apologies for the less than adequate experience that you had.

Muthu Fort William

Reviewed 20 August 2018 via mobile

Upon checking we were ignored was a girl on checking flicked through paperwork
She was nothing short of ignorant and rude
The girl never even acknowledged us on arrival.
This is the worst check in I have ever had
Added to this the lift is out of order and my wife struggles after a bad leg break
Totally unacceptable in 2018 for disabled person.
The room a lake view was small the decor and bedding was like life on mars very 1970s all I needed was a Ford Cortina.
The on suite was a disgrace
The breakfast was poor the first time I have had fried eggs with hard yokes
The check out was no better the one basic question not asked
Was everything ok with your stay?

THIS IS NOT A £144 PER NIGHT HOTEL

A week before arrival this was coming up at £234 on bookings

I don’t mind paying for quality but this was a disgraceful hotel.

On the plus side good location good car park and nice lounge bar

Trip type: Travelled as a couple
Chris V, General Manager at Muthu Fort Williams Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2018

Dear Jonathan
I would like to sincerely apologise for not having met your expectations during your stay with us. I would also like to take this opportunity to thank you for your review because it has highlighted a couple of issues that I will take back to the staff team. In addition I must apologise for the lift however I am addressing it with urgency. Whilst we have recently acquired the hotel, new bedding and room decor will be upgraded in the near future. Again I am sorry for the less than adequate service that you received.

Reviewed 12 August 2018 via mobile

When we arrived they couldn’t find our booking, thankfully we had our confirmation. We were given a room way in the back of the hotel in a damp smelling and very old part of the hotel. The only good thing about the room was that it was spotlessly clean. The sink was in the room beside the bed so you had to come back into the room to wash your hands after using the toilet. The towel holder at the sink was a large cable tie. The shower was very poor and the door didn’t close properly. The bedding looked like a relic from the 60’s.
At breakfast we had to find someone to take our order as we didn’t even has our coffee after sitting there for some time. We then had to find someone again when it didn’t arrive. When it finally arrived the eggs( obviously been sitting for a while, they were rubbery), tomatoes, bacon and mushrooms were cold.
Reception staff were indifferent to us and not friendly. We over heard another staff member speaking to a group of foreign guests like a heard of cattle, a very rude manner.
We have stayed in hotels of a much higher standard for less.
This hotel was defiantly not worth the cost and we would not stay there again. I do not recommend it.

Trip type: Travelled as a couple

Dear Christine,

Thank you for the review. We are disappointed to read that we failed to live up to your expectations and were dissatisfied with your stay with us, for which I sincerely apologise. We are addressing the issues that you have raised through our continuous staff improvement program. With regard to the bedding and décor, whilst unfortunately too late for your stay, we will be replacing it with new branded bedding and accessories in the very near future. Thank you for your comment on the cleanliness of the room, I will pass on your comments to the housekeeping team. Again I am truly sorry that you did not have a great experience.
Kind Regards

Reviewed 30 July 2018

I ate at this hotel in a group of 10 a couple of years back and not one of us enjoyed our meal but we recently returned to give them another chance unfortunately it was just as bad as it was the first time. The food was just ok but the final straw was the desert of sticky toffee pudding tasted revolting - as though it was off maybe. When the wait staff came to take my plate away and I told them it was horrible their responsse was not an apology or offer of a refund - I was told "oh everyone loves that pudding"

Date of stay: July 2018
  • Trip type: Travelled with family

Dear Louise,
I most certainly agree with you, that comment at the end is unacceptable. I am truly sorry that for a second time we failed you especially that you came in to give us the benefit of the doubt. Whatever I say may not convince you, but I am very confident that in the future this sort of experience should not happen again. Should you come in at any stage in the future please announce yourself to me before or after your meal and let me hear your comments, I would welcome it.

Reviewed 28 July 2018 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel in the end of July and i will not be going back. We heard around from the local shops that they heard nothing good about the hotel since the new ownership. Starting off there is no AC, which i understand Scotland doesnt have AC in a lot pf places, but when we opened the window to get air all we smelt was fish from the kitchen. Right out all out windows in all three rooms was the kitchen and a dirty roof with trash all on it. The smelt of fish swormed the rooms. The rooms are outdated and the beds are hard. I did not sleep well at all. Wifi is ONLY IN THE LOBBY. NO ROOMS HAVE WIFI. Also, breakfast is included but it was no good. I had a super nice waitress, but the food was so blan i couldnt eat it. Overall bad experience. I wont be going back or reccomending it. It did have a nice view of the lake from the outside though.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Travelled with family
2  Thank Summer B

Dear Summer,
Thank you for your feedback and please allow me to apologies most sincerely for the poor experience you had with us. June and July was uncharacteristically hot for Scotland and so I am sorry that we were not prepared for the hot weather. As you have heard the hotel has changed ownership and we are already looking into installing WiFi, and replacing bedding and accessories into all the rooms. I am confident that kitchen smells no longer being a problem and I am looking to improving the view onto the roof. That being said, does not ease your annoyance of your stay, for which I am truly sorry.
Kind Regards