“Sublime perfection!”

Ranked #1 of 21 Hotels in Fort William
Pasadena, California
“Sublime perfection!”
Reviewed 28 January 2012

Just a few days before my 50th birthday in July 2010, we splurged and experienced the wonders of Scottish hospitality at their finest. From the warm welcome to the luxurious linens and seductive Penhaligon's soap and shampoo to the marvelous meals to the verdant vistas, the staff and the weather all came together in perfect harmony to make for one of the most memorable travel experiences ever. We have stayed in other 5-star establishments. While some may match this, none has surpassed it. Our next visit to Scotland will definitely include more time at Inverlochy Castle.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 3 February 2012
Thank you so much for your kind comments. It is always a pleasure to hear how much our guests enjoy their experience. We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Scotland.

Kind Regards,

Jane Watson ,
Inverlochy Castle Hotel
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / Payback Arrow
JPMiles / PAYBACK

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Glasgow
Reviewed 25 January 2012

Brought my girlfriend for a romantic/relaxing weekend break to inverlochy castle. I wanted to impress her. Not only did I achieve this goal but she is now my fiancé. I could not have dreamed of a better setting to propose to her. Fullfillled my expectations and more.
Service we recieved was impeccable. Staff where very warm, friendly and polite.
Hotel itself is very warm and inviting. On arriving the piano playing in the background was great Period features are amazing, castle for me was stunning.
Our room was superb, romantic and very big with a lovely ensuite bathroom. Fresh grapes and flowers in the room.
Food was amazing probably some of the best I've had. Compliments to the chef as each dish was very tasty and cooked to perfection. Also had the option to have breakfast brought up to the room which helps when your trying to relax.
Overall my experience was excellent. Thanks to all the staff and managment at the hotel, keep up the great work. PERFECT AND RELAXING

Saj and Lorna.

Room Tip: Queens suite for me so go for it you will not be disappointed.
2 Thank Sunny10Glasgow
Firstly I would like to extend big congratulations to you and your fiancé from myself and all the staff here at Inverlochy castle. I am proud you chose the castle as the setting for such a romantic occasion. I hope you will return again and maybe stay for your honeymoon.

Kind Regards,

Jane Watson,
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 23 January 2012

We have stayed at the Inverlochy Castle Hotel so many times that we have lost count. Perhaps this would not be surprising if we were only travelling from somewhere within the UK, but we are repeat visitors from the other side of the world.

Although the dining room, lounge room and other common areas are beautifully formal, there is a delightful contrast to this in the warmth and friendliness of the management and staff. A few other reviewers have commented unfavourably on the fact that there are dress standards in the dining room, but we have found that normally our fellow guests have enjoyed throwing themselves into dressing up to match the surroundings.

Over the years, we have tried many of the rooms to suit the changing needs of our family. Every room we have tried has been spacious, beautiful and comfortable. The bathrooms are particularly spacious and pleasant.

Food at both breakfasts and dinners is of a very high standard, using excellent fresh produce, often in creative and original combinations. The dinner menu changes from day to day. There is always plenty of choice and the chef is accommodating about any special dietary requests. Occasionally, our son has even made special requests for off-menu items and the chef has come up trumps. It helps that the normal practice for hotel guests is to telephone their orders from their rooms in advance of dinner.

It ought to go without saying at a 5 star luxury hotel that the rooms are clean, but we have stayed in some equally expensive places where that was not the case, so it is worth saying it anyway. Cleaning is impeccable and runs like clockwork.

On our last visit to the hotel, we were there for Hogmanay, which was a great celebration, with music, dancing and fireworks. There was a great atmosphere among the guests and staff, particularly as there were various families with children, who were all part of the action.

The hotel grounds are part of the attraction, with various walks available through the forested areas, the gardens, the walled garden and down to the small loch. This means that the views from the rooms are also lovely.

The location is just far enough from Fort William to be quiet and relaxing, but close enough to be convenient for shopping or visiting the museum. There are so many walks, boat trips and other activities available within easy driving distance that it would be impossible ever to run out of things to do in the area.

We'll be back.

Room Tip: Over the years, we have tried many of the rooms to suit the changing needs of our family. Every roo...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank 123Familytraveller
As always it is a pleasure to have you here at the castle. Thank you so much for your kind comments. I look forward to seeing you all in June and again for hogmanay, Preparations are already underway. Don’t forget your dancing shoes!!

Kind regards,

Jane Watson,
Paisley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 January 2012

I got a very good deal for a 1 night stay, with breakfast, through ITISON, an online discount voucher site. It was purchased as a Xmas/Anniversary present for my husband, who has been desperate to visit for many years.
The location and the Castle itself were absolutely stunning. We were given a very warm welcome at the door and the Hotel Manager introduced herself personally. Our luggage was whisked away to our room before we could even draw breath. The Manager showed us to our room and gave us an overview of the facilities in the Hotel and in our room. We had a beautiful view over the front of the Hotel towards the mountains.....absolutely breathtaking. Having messed about with the framed TV, Bang and Olufsen stereo and computer, we decided to take trip into Fort William for a few last minute essentials before dinner, which was booked for 7pm. Dinner was to be ordered beforehand, a good idea, although it doesn't really allow for changing your mind if you see someone else's dinner which looks as appetising as yours sounds.
We came down for dinner at 7pm and had barely touched the ground floor before we were met and offered a drink before dinner, which we declined........by 7pm, I was hungry. Were we disappointed with the food and the service of the food? ABSOLUTELY NOT.....it was stunning and our little blonde waitress was an absolute gem.
Perhaps it's now fair to say that a couple of things made us feel slightly uncomfortable. Having duly observed the dress code, my husband, feeling the stifling heat, even in the middle of January, took his suit jacket off and to say he was pounced on is an understatement. Be aware, you are NOT allowed to do this. And even with the front doors open on a winter's evening, my husband remained uncomfortable throughout our beautiful meal. We chose a bottle of wine from the extensive wine list, not the cheapest, but not far off it and at £28 I felt that for this particular bottle of wine, was more than a tad expensive. The Sommelier was very attentive with the wine.....probably OVERLY so. I could barely take a sip before he was topping me up again and I eventually stopped drinking it to give us a break from his presence at our table.
My only other tiny gripe is that perhaps for the size of the castle, the restaurant is extremely small and the tables were a bit too close for my liking. I could hear the full conversation going on at the three tables close to us and I felt the need to whisper, so as not to involve others in our conversation.
I cannot stress, however, the quality of the food, it was outstanding and surprisingly reasonably priced, we thought.
We retired to our room and promptly ordered breakfast to be served in our room, as I didn't feel I could face the pomp and ceremony again.
Both of us slept very well in our huge bed and woke to our beautiful view again in the morning and everything out the front blanketed in a generous covering of frost. Our waitress from the previous evening arrived with breakfast, goodness me, does she never sleep??? It was as lovely as dinner had been the previous night.
I was surprised when we checked out that no-one was there to greet us and having waited about for a good few minutes, I sent my husband out to the car with our luggage and to start the long job of defrosting the car. After ringing the bell twice for attention, which I found purely by accident, the very pleasant duty manager appeared and I settled our bill. I was asked about our luggage and explained that my husband had already taken it to the car. We both defrosted the car in the freezing cold and were very upset to discover that others were having theirs done by hotel staff. I realise that this was far from being personal, but given the attentiveness of staff in all other areas, it was a bit short-sighted.
Overall, we've now had the experience, but I'm unsure as to whether I would indulge us like that again........and certainly not for the price we would have had to pay had we not got the discount online. However it will remain an experience we will never forget.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
InverlochyCastle, Assistant Hotel Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 22 January 2012
Thank you very much for taking the time to write such a detailed review of your recent stay at Inverlochy Castle. Although we receive a large number of praise for the things we do right, we really appreciate the feedback from our guests regarding things they would like to see done different or bettered. It is this kind of feedback and criticism that makes us progress further in our aim to remain as one of the best hotels in the U.K. Although I wasn’t on duty for your evening meal I am sadden to read that you found things a little overly attentive. At Inverlochy we do want to offer an attentive service in all areas of the Hotel but doing so in an un-intrusive fashion. My apologies if this didn’t come across during your meal. I was also a little saddened to read about your experience during your departure. It was myself who dealt with your departure and all of my other guests on this morning and I do recall the thick frost you mention. I was under the impression that I was personally on hand and offering all my guests assistance in defrosting all vehicles upon settling the final account. I am not sure how I could have overseen your self. From your review it does seem you have enjoyed your stay at Inverlochy and I do hope that the valuable issues you have outlined do not stop you from returning to Inverlochy or any other ICMI property in the near future. I thank you once again for your review and comments.

Best Wishes and Kind Regards,

David Robertson

Assistant Manager

Arbroath
Reviewed 17 January 2012

We and another couple stayed one night which was a Chistmas present from our children. There was a warm welcome when we arrived and it just got better and better. The Hotel is beautiful and furnished throughout to a very high standard. I would describe the staff,food and rooms as a most wonderful experience and will definitely be returning for more pampering.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
InverlochyCastle, Manager at Inverlochy Castle Hotel, responded to this review, 19 January 2012
I would like to thank you for your kind review. What a lovely gift from your children and how nice you were able to enjoy your experience with friends. We all look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Kind regards,
5.3 km away
Cruachan Hotel
Cruachan Hotel
#15 of 21 in Fort William

Been to Inverlochy Castle Hotel? Share your experiences!

Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.
JPMiles / PAYBACK