“Arrived but wouldn't stay!!!”
Review of Smithton Hotel

and 1 more site!
Smithton Hotel
Ranked #32 of 36 Hotels in Inverness
Reviewed 13 August 2007

Arrived at the Smithton Hotel and my heart fell through the floor as I took in the sight of the very dowdy, ugly and generally disgusting hotel in front of me. Our reservation had been double-booked and we were told they would honour ou r booking. I was told to leave and come back at three o'clock (it was 2.30pm). There was no offer of a drink, however I didn't really want a drink there. I used my time wisely and booked another hotel. I don't feel the images on the interenet fully represent what is actually on offer. I would urge caution to anybody considering booking this hotel (if you can call it a hotel).

• Stayed: August 2007, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Travellerkg
Turn Your Opinions into Points!
Turn your opinions into JPMiles
Turn your opinions into PAYBACK Points
*You can enroll in only one programme at a time to earn rewards for reviews.

Reviewed 6 August 2007

One of the worst hotels I have stayed in for a long time.
The image on the website is very flattering - do not be fooled. This is like a flash back to the 1970's and I do not think the rooms have been decorated since. Small dark and pokey rooms - looked awful.

The restauarant is part of the public bar. One look at it and we booked a taxi into town. For all I know the food may have been good, but having to eat it in the company of all the locals from the locality does not suit everyone.

Breakfast a plate full of greasy objects pretending to be a full cooked breakfast. Really quite inedible.

Give it a miss.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank peterstoneboy
Reviewed 20 July 2007

This is without doubt the worst hotel I have ever stayed in . The rooms are tiny the decor is terrible and the walls so thin that if someone breaks wind the whole floor will hear them . The only plus point was the breakfast was acceptable . I think I would sooner stay in a caravan .

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled with family
4  Thank lonelystarAberdeen
Reviewed 4 July 2007

We stayed for 2 nights at the Smithton in June and were immediately disappointed by the appearance of the hotel from the outside and the location. The images on the internet do not reflect the actual hotel, which is quite run-down and situated on a not very appealing housing estate. If you want to go anywhere decent for dinner you will have to either drive or get a taxi.

The decor of the hotel is old and needs updating, it was like stepping back in time to the 70's. The bar wasn't very appealing as it was full of locals and got noisy at night when you were trying to sleep.

The rooms, although clean, were basic and the bed was uncomfortable.

The breakfast was very slow as they had only one person serving...and not worth the wait. We chose to eat elsewhere on the 2nd morning.

The Smithton isn't the worst place we've stayed in, but very far from being the best. Luckily we were only there for 2 nights and only there to sleep as we were out during the day.

On a positive note, the staff were very friendly, but it did seem to be understaffed.

There were lots of B and B's with vacancies in better locations, so we would recommend going to one of these.

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank sianita7
Reviewed 30 April 2007

We booked an easter weekend break with our two children based on the website stating "Games Room" and "Family Friendly".......big mistake. The Games Room is a no child go area as it is accessed via the bar. Such a big mistake infact that we did not stay.

The one positive thing I will say is that the manager on duty was extremely understanding of the situation and accepted our decision to leave.

The hotel is in the middle of a housing estate and is the bar definately a favourite with the locals, not quite the accommodation or setting we were expecting.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled with family